Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Got my card about a month ago. Mixed review. Got mine for $60 monthly (2nd line), plus my 18% discount. Card was $75 after the 2 year agreement.
    The convenience is the biggest thing. I'm glad speed wasn't the biggest need. It's quite sporadic.
    Also, there is a software conflict with my hotsynch manager. I have to disable hotsynch to run the Sprint Connection Manager.
    I kept it beyond the 14 days, ONLY because of convenience. The filters at work are turned up so high, can't even car shop online.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Got my card about a month ago. Mixed review. Got mine for $60 monthly (2nd line), plus my 18% discount. Card was $75 after the 2 year agreement.
    The convenience is the biggest thing. I'm glad speed wasn't the biggest need. It's quite sporadic.
    Also, there is a software conflict with my hotsynch manager. I have to disable hotsynch to run the Sprint Connection Manager.
    I kept it beyond the 14 days, ONLY because of convenience. The filters at work are turned up so high, can't even car shop online.
    Thanks Scary...To be more spacific about speed...how sporadic? At its slowest, is it comparable to dial up or DSL, and at its fastest, is it comparable to broadband...I am still wondering if it is worth it beyond convenience. Also, I haven't did any research with sprint yet but if you have a data plan for your notebook, does it cover your treo and notebook, or do you still have to pay seperately for data on your treo? If you do, I definitely won't bother.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Thanks Scary...To be more spacific about speed...how sporadic? At its slowest, is it comparable to dial up or DSL, and at its fastest, is it comparable to broadband...I am still wondering if it is worth it beyond convenience. Also, I haven't did any research with sprint yet but if you have a data plan for your notebook, does it cover your treo and notebook, or do you still have to pay seperately for data on your treo? If you do, I definitely won't bother.
    I have a SERO plan, so data is included for my 650.
    Speeds on the data card vary from 56K-like, to near DSL. My laptop is stationary. And coverage is no problem. I have about 8 towers within a mile. Time of day does not seem to have anything to do with it. I'm at work as late as 10:30pm, when network traffic would presumably be quite low, and still it crawls along. Then during morning rush hour, when the network is quite congested, it screaming fast.
    It's frustrating when watching videos from various new sites. I'm a news *****. Need to know what's going on in the world. But I'm boycotting for a day or 2. Very upsetting news about that kid killer.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I have a SERO plan, so data is included for my 650.
    Speeds on the data card vary from 56K-like, to near DSL. My laptop is stationary. And coverage is no problem. I have about 8 towers within a mile. Time of day does not seem to have anything to do with it. I'm at work as late as 10:30pm, when network traffic would presumably be quite low, and still it crawls along. Then during morning rush hour, when the network is quite congested, it screaming fast.
    It's frustrating when watching videos from various new sites. I'm a news *****. Need to know what's going on in the world. But I'm boycotting for a day or 2. Very upsetting news about that kid killer.
    Thanks Scary...well apreciated
    at&t iPhone3G
    They snuck this into my plan details after I got the card:

"Calls Made On PCS Connection Cards with Voice Capability Will Incur a Charge Of $.20 Per Minute"

I heard they were developing software to detect this. Don't know if it's in place yet.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

That is definitely scary...Scary.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Brink... nothing is wrong.... It is just that companies will actually pay people to post on internet sites glowing accolades about their products. The idea is to trick readers into thinking these are the actual opinions of actual impartial users, and make sales. If you are for real, then my apologys... in my original post I added "JK" for "Just Kidding"... I meant it as a lighthearted thing at the time. Your post was so glowing, I thought it might just possibly-perhaps be one of those fake posts. Most posts from real users will give a mixture of positives and negatives about a product... but if the card is O.K. with no negatives for you- that is great! As for the other stuff (the crack about the card not fitting in the Treo's SD slot)... It was meant to be funny- but also I was seeing if you knew this was a Treo forum. Sometimes those people who "plant" positive messages don't even put them in the right forum. Please don't take it too hard, around here your skin will thicken a bit. I really wish all the best for you and your EVDo card... o.k.??
    Last edited by duanedude1; 04/17/2006 at 09:47 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    "Calls Made On PCS Connection Cards with Voice Capability Will Incur a Charge Of $.20 Per Minute"

That's a bummer. I really get ticked at carriers limiting what kinds of data they do and do not want to carry. I know they want us to pay extra for SMS, MMS, V-cast like things, now this... data should be data. If they keep this up, will they reach a point where data is meaningless (extra for attatchments... extra for each sentense, etc. ad-infinitum)? It's all ones and zeros- isn't it? Are there any other similar restrictions on these cards from other carriers? It seems like a lot to pay for data that is limited in how you use it. What if someone invents another algorithum so the carriers do not know if it is voice or not- what then?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1

That's a bummer. I really get ticked at carriers limiting what kinds of data they do and do not want to carry. I know they want us to pay extra for SMS, MMS, V-cast like things, now this... data should be data. If they keep this up, will they reach a point where data is meaningless (extra for attatchments... extra for each sentense, etc. ad-infinitum)? It's all ones and zeros- isn't it? Are there any other similar restrictions on these cards from other carriers? It seems like a lot to pay for data that is limited in how you use it. What if someone invents another algorithum so the carriers do not know if it is voice or not- what then?
    I was kinda ticked. My new laptop came with a bluetooth VOIP phone.
    I understand why they did it. Why get a phone plan if I can get unlimited free calls through the connection card?

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

I have to agree that the connection card is the best decision I've made. I pay the 59.99 unlimited data and free sierra wireless card (150.00 rebate plus 99.99 service credit) with a 2 year agreement. I originally bought the treo to access the internet but it was a pain navigating, then I had to start using a program that isn't palm supported (citrix, unless that's changed recently). I rarely do not get evdo so I'm extremely happy. Scary, I was wondering how you an 18% discount on top of his data plan since I was told my corporate discount didn't apply (no discounts as a matter of fact) as the special rate IS a corporate rate and applies to voice plans only.
    Quote Originally Posted by goongafairy
    I have to agree that the connection card is the best decision I've made. I pay the 59.99 unlimited data and free sierra wireless card (150.00 rebate plus 99.99 service credit) with a 2 year agreement. I originally bought the treo to access the internet but it was a pain navigating, then I had to start using a program that isn't palm supported (citrix, unless that's changed recently). I rarely do not get evdo so I'm extremely happy. Scary, I was wondering how you an 18% discount on top of his data plan since I was told my corporate discount didn't apply (no discounts as a matter of fact) as the special rate IS a corporate rate and applies to voice plans only.
    A very nice young lady named Dana @ my Sprint store put it through. I wasn't even aware there was an issure in not getting it. Just checked my account on line, and it's there.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

A very nice young lady named Dana @ my Sprint store put it through. I wasn't even aware there was an issure in not getting it. Just checked my account on line, and it's there.
    That was nice. Maybe I need to talk to Dana. LOL. I have a cool SA at our sprint store, but she called sprint billing to add my service. Of course, I didn't get mine.
    ok so correct me if i am wrong....i cant use vonage softphone, yahoo messenger's phoneout and Skype while using EVDO connection card with sprint??? And if I did use they can trace it and bill you for it??? Are you serious????
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Ok so I'm probably a little off topic here, but it's something that I've been somewhat confused about... and the Sprint sales lady didn't help matters much either.

Are there Treo 650's with EVDO radios? I thought I've seen posts about them, and the Sprint lady was trying to activate my EVDO radio on my 650 the day I bought it and was surprised when it didn't come up when she scanned the barcode.

That's my one beef with using the 650 for email... I often miss calls without notification (unless I get a voicemail and get notified some time later) while data is going through. Blah.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    As far as Palm and Treos goes...

Only the Verizon Treo 700 W (W for windows operating system, made by palm but without the Palm operating system) uses an EVDO radio.

Treo 650's don't have EVDO. I hope you didn't buy the 650 thinking it did.

Now... there are very strong rumors that Palm will be releasing a 700 P, that is an EVDO -capable smartphone using the Palm (not windows) operating system, very, very soon.
    You can so a "Search" on treocentral to read all the many, many bytes of speculation about this unit. Some say it will be released on Sprint (or both Sprint and Verizon?), in about a month or so. Some also think that Sprint will be getting both the 700 P and the 700 W. We await official announcements from Palm, Sprint, Verizon, etc.
    "Everybody Palm!"

There is also some discussion about if you will miss calls when you are on the web or doing e-mail. I believe that you still may miss some calls with EVDO, but not as often. That is as long as you are in range of an EVDO signal, if the phone is out of range and reverts back to a slower-speed signal, calls may go to voicemail while you are running data. Again, "Search" can be your friend on Treocentral.

To get back on-topic... if you have a EVDO card for your laptop, and an EVDO -capable Treo 700 W (or soon 700 P)... you'd have to pay for data twice, once for each unit. What a bummer!

There might be a cheaper option to get EVDo on your treo and use PDA NEt software to use your Treo connection to get the net on your laptop... or in reverse use DUN or wifi to get data on your treo from your laptop's EVDO connection. These are all complicated to set-up, but you can again try a "Search".
    Last edited by duanedude1; 05/02/2006 at 12:37 PM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Treo 650's don't have EVDO. I hope you didn't buy the 650 thinking it did.
    I didn't think so, but like I said the Sprint lady and a few posts led me to believe perhaps there was a specific hardware revision with it or something.

While EVDO would be nice, I'm fine with what I have. Since this is my first PDA with cell access, and the best internet cell phone I've had, I'm pretty happy.

I think EVDO and reverse DUN would be a killer pair. I'd try the VOIP over it too, just to see if they really can catch you. If they can there is a simple solution- SSH tunnel someplace else, and put your VOIP traffic through that.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    They snuck this into my plan details after I got the card:

I heard they were developing software to detect this. Don't know if it's in place yet.
    How do you know if this means vonage and skype or sprint outgoing calls (you can also be assigned a cell phone number for additional charges) which can be made on connection card???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    How do you know if this means vonage and skype or sprint outgoing calls (you can also be assigned a cell phone number for additional charges) which can be made on connection card???
    Relax guys, data is data, whether it is VoIP, streaming, or any other use. The Sprint Vision police is not going to hunt you down or send you nasty letters. Voice calls is referred to using the card as a phone, to literally dial out, not a data connection. If you don't know how to dial out with the card then you are for sure not using it and not charging you for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinkley
    I have conducted speed tests from dslreports.com and have consistently been getting 800-900 download at all times of the day!! I was barely getting 1.5 mb in the evening hours with cable! I just wanted to share my experience with this outstanding device and hope others feel the satisfaction that I have had. Great site and eager to meet each of you! Cheers!
    900kbps connection? Or 900kb/sec downloads?

On speed tests what kind of speed are you getting, 1.5mbps? or 6mbps? etc? TestMy.Net is pretty good as is "atl.speakeasy.net."
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast