Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Just talked to a Sprint rep and learned that they changed the upgrade policy from 18 to 24 months to meet the $150 eligibility rebate for new handsets.

Even more infuriating, even if you have your phone replaced for warranty issues or if it's defective, they restart you for ANOTHER 2 YEARS, because your ESN# has changed.

Does anyone else think this is complete and utter bullsh@#$#@?
    Really sucks! Even if you get a replacement through Lockline they will restart your date. I just replaced my wife's 600 and we will not be able for a rebate ($75) until May 07...May 08 for the $150 rebate. And that is with a new 2-year agreement.

This will delay my upgrade to the 700 or any other phone since my 650 just went over 1 year.
    Last edited by cash70; 04/14/2006 at 01:46 PM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    This change occurred in July 05. It's old news.

If your date changed due to a lockline replacement or warranty replacement simply call CC and explain the situation and they can reset your upgrade eligibility date.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    That's why I only shop in all carrier brick and mortar stores for phones.....no 2 year contract and same prices as single carrier stores offer w/ 2 year contracts.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Actually, I just had my Sprint Treo 650 replaced due to a broken headset jack at no charge since I pay for the $6.00 a month Enhanced Warranty Plan. I bought my Treo in Dec. 2004 and depending on what upgrade features the 700P has, if I buy it I will be able to receive the 24 month upgrade in Dec. 2006, as the replacement I just received did not affect my instant rebate eligibility term.

-------------------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO
    Treo 650 Sprint
    You should be eligible in Dec 06. Check the website. If it reset due to the replacement call CC and explain the situation and ask for it to be reset to the original date.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    You should be eligible in Dec 06. Check the website. If it reset due to the replacement call CC and explain the situation and ask for it to be reset to the original date.
    I paid full price for my 650, directly to Palm when it came out. I was already 1 year into a 2 year contract with Sprint. They reset my start date also.
    My Sprint store told me the same thing you're saying here, but CS would not budge on putting my date back.
    Any clues on how to proceed?

Thanks,
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I buy most of my sprint phones used on ebay (I can never wait 18 months to upgrade). Whenever I call to activate it, they told me that my rebate date is changed. Oh well.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I get my two year rebate May 1, 2006 just in enough time for the 700p launch month...I CANNOT WAIT !!!
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    Just talked to a Sprint rep and learned that they changed the upgrade policy from 18 to 24 months to meet the $150 eligibility rebate for new handsets.

Even more infuriating, even if you have your phone replaced for warranty issues or if it's defective, they restart you for ANOTHER 2 YEARS, because your ESN# has changed.

Does anyone else think this is complete and utter bullsh@#$#@?
    This is why i have the insurance. that way, when we're about 7-8 months into upgraded devices and they're already sold out of old device, I can smash the old one and then go claim my insurance and get the newest model for free.

tadaaa

and that my friends is what we call insurance fraud.

-----

actually just so we're clear, i'm not planning on doing that, but it is a brilliant idea though if you like being sent away to federal prison for 20 years.
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    Why that is not fair it should go by the account lenght not the phone. So That if you been with sprint for 6 years you should be able to get a phone upgrade, downgrade,sidegrade,even a upsidedown grade for dealing with the bull that they give you
    they're just begging you to switch to another phone company. and so i will. i'll get the rebate at the new provider, bring my phone number, and return in a few years when i need the rebate again.
    I got my Treo 650 back in November of '05. I'm guessing I'll have to pay full price if I want the 700P?
    Quote Originally Posted by wackochrisoidun
    actually just so we're clear, i'm not planning on doing that, but it is a brilliant idea though if you like being sent away to federal prison for 20 years.
    Doubtful, over a cell phone? I'd like to see a case where that happened.

You do have a point. Lockline usually has tons of old phones to give you but if your phone "stops working" and you have the total insurance plan and go into the Sprint store -- they'll usually upgrade you because they don't have any of the old ones lying around.

That recently happened to me, a week ago, when my T600 genuinely broke and I went in to get it fixed. They gave me a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilJack
    they're just begging you to switch to another phone company. and so i will. i'll get the rebate at the new provider, bring my phone number, and return in a few years when i need the rebate again.
    Who else has better data plans then Sprint? I checked others it seems both Cingular and Verizon -- don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    I don't think this is correct. Warranty replacments should not reset your equipment upgrade time period. I have had a couple warrenty replacements on my Treo and I have always double checked and made sure that it did not reset my upgrade time period....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I got a replacement Treo 650 on 4/6/06 because of the bad headphone jack. I have the $6.00 per month insurance so it was an in-store replacement, not lockline. There was no reset of my upgrade date per Sprint store manager and I double checked online to confirm. So on 12/1/06, 24 months will have occurred since I bought my 650 and I'll be eligible for the full $150.00 off the 700P if I wanna buy it.

---------------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO
    Treo 650 Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
    Who else has better data plans then Sprint? I checked others it seems both Cingular and Verizon -- don't.
    What's better ? If we talking for the 700p how is Sprint's EVDO any better than Verizon's EVDO ? Sprint is certainly cheaper but that isn't the same thing as better....not arguing with ya, just clarifying. One way ya could consider Sprint better than Verizon tho is with regard to "the fine print", you run a greater risk it seems on Verizon of getting bumped for heavy usage than ya do on Sprint.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106657

Cingular had an advantage with large file downloads pre EVDO, otherwise even tho the d/l speed was faster, with latency factored in, the experience was the same. Latency doesn't have much an effect on graphic heavy pages or large d/l's so there was an advantage for Cingular there.

.... now they gotta catch up with their HSDPA rollout .... HSDPA 3.6 is twice as fast as the current EVDO incarnation but they have half as many towers and there was one rumor that they were gonna slow their rollout. Haven't seen that rumor repetaed anywhere so maybe its bogus...maybe not. Won't really be able to compare anything "head to head" until fall when the next GSM Treo hits the streets. At that point ....

If you are in an area with EVDO and HSDPA, Cingular will have significant advantage (well assuming Palm doesn't limit hardware to HSDPA 1.8).

If Palm limits HSDPA to 1.8 then that an EVDO are expected to be a wash.

If you are in an area which has EVDO but not HSDPA ...then the answer is obvious. If you are in an area which has HSDPA but not EVDO ...then the answer is also obvious.

If you got neither EVDO nor HSDPA, then it won't matter again unless, as indicated before, you do large d/l's or frequent site with lotsa graphics in which case EDGE has a bit of an advantage.

I do think the 700p data experience will be faster than the 700w simply because of the overhead in WM5.
    Seems silly from a business POV as well. It isn't like they shell out for a new phone, so they would probably be interested in keeping you onboard for another 2 years. As it is, your contract ends sooner and you will be eligable for all those other carriers' nice offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I got my Treo 650 back in November of '05. I'm guessing I'll have to pay full price if I want the 700P?
    I got mine in Feb 05 with full new customer rebates (instant rebates, paid $325 on AMEX card) 2 days after CNG model was released.....I finished my contract Feb 06 (brick and mortar all carrier stores are the way to go to get those 1 year contracts) so I am fresh and clean and fully eligible.....just that CNG won't have a treo till 3rd quarter .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast