Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I recently switched from T-Mobile to Verizon "America's most reliable network" as I dont get any signal in my new apartment with T-Mobile. The experience so far has remained very painful. I got Treo 650 for myself and Razr V3c for my wife. We both are getting at the most 1 or 2 bars and from time to time those bars keep disappearing. Also while we are talking call keeps droping more often than remaining connected. I want to know if it is lucky me or anyone else has also experience similar situation with Treo 650 and Verizon. It even drops calls in area where it gets like 4 bars and while I'm talking on phone all of sudden it drops the call. So far it has remained "America's most un-reliable network for me". With T-mobile in last 2 years I've never experienced a single drop call as long as I'm in coverage area of T-Mobile.

    Just to mention I've already done roaming update by calling *228 from my phone but it has been of not much help.

    pls help with your input.
  2. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #2  
    this has not been my experience and I live in a somewhat remote area. I very rarely lose calls, and my Verizon coverage is much better than mine was with Cingular. It just depends on your area I guess.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    this has not been my experience and I live in a somewhat remote area. I very rarely lose calls, and my Verizon coverage is much better than mine was with Cingular. It just depends on your area I guess.
    I know that all coverages are relative. But dropping call after you are connected is something new to me. But that might be the reason for calling it America's most reliable network
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mj123
    I recently switched from T-Mobile to Verizon "America's most reliable network" as I dont get any signal in my new apartment with T-Mobile.
    Do you know what frequency yout closest tower is ? The lower the frequency, the better the penetration into buildings. I seem to recall but could easily be mistaken that T-Mobile was just about all 1900. So an 850 signal woud penetratre better. As for "America's most reliable network", Verizon has been forced to stop making that claim. At least here in the northeast, those claims no longer appear in Verizon advertising. Two independednt studies were done which were completed at the end of 2005 which named Cingular the network with fewest dropped calls in the NY metro (NY / NJ / Comm). Soon after that my guess is Cingular filed suit to block Verizon's advertising as we went from seeing thsoe everywhere to nowhere almost overnight. I would guess that they still may be able to make that claim in otehr regions as the studies I am referring to were limited in geographical area.

    My point being that regardless of who is best "overall", the only thing that matters to you is who is best where you use your phone. And this will not be a static result. Who is best in 2004 may not be best in 2006. While I spend at least 30k a year buying things for home and business online, buying a cellphone online is something I would never do. It seems unwise to miss the opportunity to hold the things in your hand, look at the signal bars, listen to a call for all major carriers in your area before buying. I am oft amazed that being able to cut your contract in half, save $25-$50, try out the phones before etering even a trial, and get a range of "special" (maybe not so "by the book" moves) doesn't get more people away from their puter screens and into a brick and mortar all carriers store.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Do you know what frequency yout closest tower is ? The lower the frequency, the better the penetration into buildings. I seem to recall but could easily be mistaken that T-Mobile was just about all 1900. So an 850 signal woud penetratre better. As for "America's most reliable network", Verizon has been forced to stop making that claim. At least here in the northeast, those claims no longer appear in Verizon advertising. Two independednt studies were done which were completed at the end of 2005 which named Cingular the network with fewest dropped calls in the NY metro (NY / NJ / Comm). Soon after that my guess is Cingular filed suit to block Verizon's advertising as we went from seeing thsoe everywhere to nowhere almost overnight. I would guess that they still may be able to make that claim in otehr regions as the studies I am referring to were limited in geographical area.

    My point being that regardless of who is best "overall", the only thing that matters to you is who is best where you use your phone. And this will not be a static result. Who is best in 2004 may not be best in 2006. While I spend at least 30k a year buying things for home and business online, buying a cellphone online is something I would never do. It seems unwise to miss the opportunity to hold the things in your hand, look at the signal bars, listen to a call for all major carriers in your area before buying. I am oft amazed that being able to cut your contract in half, save $25-$50, try out the phones before etering even a trial, and get a range of "special" (maybe not so "by the book" moves) doesn't get more people away from their puter screens and into a brick and mortar all carriers store.
    You are right on that, that's why I put in my previous post that all coverages are relative. Its not one thing fits all kind of situation based on ones location one need to decide. And it seems so far Verizon and T-Mobile are not going to make on my list. I might need to try Cingular, the only problem is 2-yrs contract.
  6. #6  
    Forget those 2 year contract things. Walk into a brick and mortar store that handles all of the major carriers and they will sell you a 1 year contract. Even out in the boonies of eastern Long Island not only did they give me a 1 year contracr (w/o me asking) but they finagled me onto an existing family plan that was only 2 months old by swapping me with the 2 month old main number.
  7. #7  
    It may not be the service - it could be the building itself. I lived in a building near some power lines that always interfered with my verizon service. I don't have that problem now I have had verizon for close to 8 years and it has been pretty good. I have been in stores like Walmart where at one time I have problems (analog phone) but now with my treo 650 it depends on where in the store I stand. It again could be some type of frequency interferance - radio.
  8. iramike's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #8  
    I actually ran into something like that as well, there is an area around me that has a radio tower near a residential area, and from a certain distance there is excellent coverage, but if you get into this cone of service from the radio tower, no cell phone works at all it just basically blankets all of it. It is so acurate that you can draw a big circle around the tower, if you are on one side, its perfect, step across that line and you will have nothing.

    I also knew of a co worker once that lived in an apartment building, when he stepped out the door, phone worked great, as soon as he was inside the building, he got nothing.

    I would honestly want to say that it is the building, but you should ask if anyone lives close by or if you have neighbors, or if you live in an apartment building. See if anyone else has this issue. Like someone else had already stated, the T-mobile tower could have been transmitting at a lower freq than the Verizon tower. One thing to keep in mind is that anything over the air that is transmitted can be affect by terrain, weather or the misc issues like the radio tower.

    Good Luck
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict


    The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  9. #9  
    Can you here me now...
    at&t iPhone3G
  10. #10  
    I have also had this problem in coverage areas with 4 to 5 bars. In fact it was the treo itself. I have had 4 treos and only one of them had this issue. Call Verizon Technical Support at 1-888-308-5005 and tell them your issue. Usually in most cases they will ship you out a refurbished Treo and they work excellent.
  11. #11  
    I am a bit cynical here with these supplier claims.

    "Who has the fewest drop call" is like "who is standing next to the tallest person" - it depends on where you are standing.

    I haven't been able to make calls with Cingular most places I frequent, so I am unable to test their claim how frequent they drop call when I can't make one to begin with. I lost my chance in testing that because I switched to T-Mobile.

    I suppose VZW will have their independent study - who will have the fewest dropped calls within 50 feet of any active Verizon tower.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    "Who has the fewest drop call" is like "who is standing next to the tallest person" - it depends on where you are standing.
    The testing methodology is quite specific. Travel along major routes (primary and secondary roads) in region talking whole time, write down number of dropped calls. Repeat same route with each carrier. Then repeat all that with different phones, users, etc. Think of the equivalent of ZDLabs for PC Testing.
  13. #13  
    I am just too cynical.

    When I can't even make a call, I really don't care if they drop calls or not on some major routes.

    However, I will make a point of remembering those survey/results when I do decide to sleep on sidewalks of those streets.

Posting Permissions