1.    #1  
    Here is the deal. Have T-mo which I use for my business. Liked them but they are dropping us Treo folks and that is why I went to them in the first place with my T180 4 years ago.

Time to move on Sprint seems to have a pretty good deal going on 650's but I have questions.

I read that battery peerformance on the CDMA T650 is less than that of the GSM version. How much less?? Will I really notice it?

About the plans....I have been on the website and find it less than an easy read and based on discussions here and elsewhere, there are all kinds of permutations. I am really interested in the SERO plans that I have read about....How do I get them?

I know, I sound like a noob....but I just want some insight on how to get the best deal and not get taken to the cleaners by CSRs who don't know the ins and outs of what can be done. I know that many of you Sprint folks know the game and I want to learn

Thanks in advance.....

Skigs
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs
    I read that battery peerformance on the CDMA T650 is less than that of the GSM version. How much less?? Will I really notice it?
    Would you notice if the difference you can go on a tank of gas went from 375 miles to 250 miles ? You get 50% more mileage on battery with GSM.

About the plans....I have been on the website and find it less than an easy read and based on discussions here and elsewhere, there are all kinds of permutations. I am really interested in the SERO plans that I have read about....How do I get them?
    If not related to someone who works for sprint, hang out outside sprint store and flirt alot when peeps leave at closing time IIRCV, each employe gets 5 peeps at give SERo to.

Here's the deal:

Voice plans - they change so often it hard to keep up but best deals are in family plans....adding phones for $10 rocks. When i signed up, I had to choose between 850 minutes between 2 phones on Cingular for $59.99 or 800 minutes on Sprint with $59.99 for 1st phone and + $9.99 for 2nd.

Data Plan - Again, when I signed up, it was $19.99 for unlimited for data from CNG and $14.99 from Sprint (still is). Advantage $5 Sprint tho CNG had d/l speed advantage w/ large files, for regular usage stuff like e-mail speed is comparable.

So between the two I had to weigh $10 voice plan advantage from CNG + 50 extra minutes versus $5 savings on data from Sprint. For $5 and 50 minutes it was too small of a factor to sway me alone..

For me it came down to:

1. In NY Metro/tristate area, my own experience as well as two independent studies published at end of last year, CNG has most reliable network, followed by Verizon then Sprint. So I keep my main phone on CNG and use OnStar / verizon as backup. But I am sure other carriers are better in other areas so it depends where you gonna be.

2. Being able to charge Treo once a week under normal use rocks. I go thru whole week camping trips w/o a charge. So 50% more battery life is important to me. Not to mention those long car rides where Treo used as alternate gameboy to keep kids from asking "are we there yet ?" 427 times.

3. I realy like being able to swap SIM cards for boating / fishing / mountain biking etc and not risking my $600 phone....throw my SIM into crap phone and who cares how many face plants I do or whetehr I drop it in drink when landing "Moby Bass".

4. I almost never travel internationally so not issue for me but many list this as biggie so I'll mention.

5. On the downside with GSM, if you get a GPS cradle you won't be able to use one with a built in speakerphone like Seidio's 4850 and still use a BT headset at same time. You have to use the 2350 as tapping into the external audio circuit disables BT on GSM phones. I use a 2350 and would find a speaker in the cradle redundant as the 650 already has an external speaker that does the job.

As for purchase deals, I think you can still get a $85 (counting rebates and value of free BT headset) versus $99 on Verizon (w/ rebates) and $199 from Sprint at Amazon. See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110216
    I have both tmobile(unlocked gsm Treo650) and sprint (sprint branded treo650).
    As per comparasion: I have Sero plan with sprint and it rocks. (1250 mins, night and weekends included, sprint vision included, free roaming across USA included, extra min .10c per min and it is for 49.99).
    I have tmobile plan (1500 anytime minutes, night and weekend included, roaming included, tmobile internet extra 19.99 and extra mins .40c per minute; for 49.99 (with no internet. If you add that its almost 70 bucks).

Now battery comparision; I use both phones all times, charge at the same time and use it almost as often. Here is what I found. When my sprint treo650 battery is drained, my tmobile treo650 still have 15% remaining. I think this gives you fair comparasion.

Coverage- general: I travel often, but to major cities. I went from NewYork to Atlanta to Milwaukee to Chicago to Dallas to SanFrancisco to LA to Sanantonio. Apart from one bar, up or down, between tmobile and sprint, both companies got almost same coverage which I rate good. I got dropped calls on both in downtown areas but sprint is beast on road. Otherwise its same o same. And since both companies now got roaming arrangements with other companies, there wont be any issue for coverage (data roaming is still not allowed between carriers).

Data coverage and speed: I think tombile (with edge) got better speed and ping time compared to sprint vision. I can stream to radio station on ptunes at 128kbps on tmobile and get fewer hiccups while on sprint I cant even stream at 64 kbps without hiccups. I could download audible book on sprint twice for the time it took tmobile to download same book. I tried all kind of tests on both and Tmobile is faster when downloading larger file or streaming to radio online.For normal browsing both are normal at the moment.

As customer service; Tmobile is in different world. They rock. I dont think anyone is USA got same kind of service in any utility company I ever tried. They are pure professional, know what they are doing and are very polite whoever I spoke to.
    In contrast to that, sprint, I think has worst customer service team in place. I am not just talking about store staff but all service agents, on phone or in store. You have to try your luck everytime you need something done. If I have to rate it from 10, I will give them 4.

As per getting Sero as a new plan, its simple you go online and sign up for sero. Since there is no service agent needed as you are moving from tmobile, I dont think there will be any issue. Oh and sprint email support is better. If you need anything answered, go to sprint site and under contact link send them an email. They are faster and great.
    Per sero plans, search TC forums and you will find both, the link to signup and email address for sprint employee (you need both to get into site).

Hope this helps .
    Last edited by Ehsan; 03/24/2006 at 01:09 AM.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.