1.    #1  
    I've Treo 650 from Verizon and was planning a trip to India next month. I was wondering if it will be possible to unlock Treo 650 and use it on CDMA carrier like Reliance Telecom or Tata Indicom when I'm in India. As it would be much cheaper to use it in India that way instead of paying roaming charges to Verizon. How much it costs to unlock Treo 650 and any reliable places to get it done ?

thanks

-mj
    I think what you want to do is impossible. Theoretically, you could use another network, however you'd have to cancel your service with Verizon, and then add a new service in India.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I don't think that is right, I do believe you can do it. I have been researching same thing and need to make sure that it will work overseas. I found this link through GOOGLE to http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(28920) which says you can but falls short of saying HOW? The thread on Worldwide GSM shows that this can be done to but still don't understand the HOW. SOMEBODY HELP US!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NormBo
    The thread on Worldwide GSM shows that this can be done to but still don't understand the HOW. SOMEBODY HELP US!!!
    Think about what you just typed. I didn't go look but I imagine the thread on "worldwide GSM" is talking about, I'll hazard a guess, a GSM phone. Cingular has a GSM network and sells GSM Treos. T-Mobile has a GSM Network and you can use GSM phones on it.

Verizon OTOH, does not use GSM technology , it uses CDMA technology. That's kinda like trying to listen to FM stations on an AM radio. To do what you are saying I think you would have to:

1. Take Treo apart and replace radio and probably motherboard.
    2. Replace Verizon CDMA ROM with Cingular or Unlocked GSM ROM.\
    3. Buy a GSM Prepaid SIM card and configure everything for India.
    4. Reverse steps 3, 2, 1 when you get back.

Looking here:

http://www.indiamobiles.com/
    http://www.aircel.com/north_east/index.html

I see ads for GSM and GSM servcie area descriptions so it looks like India is a GSM country. Unless they have a competing CDMA network which I don't think is very likely. But, I also found this:

http://www.expressindia.com/fe/daily.../efe16005.html

The last source I saw said 100 million CDMA phones and 750 million GSM worldwide. Since I'd have to give CDMA more numbers here in US, that's gotta make CDMA pretty scarce outside of US.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Think about what you just typed. I didn't go look but I imagine the thread on "worldwide GSM" is talking about, I'll hazard a guess, a GSM phone. Cingular has a GSM network and sells GSM Treos. T-Mobile has a GSM Network and you can use GSM phones on it.

Verizon OTOH, does not use GSM technology , it uses CDMA technology. That's kinda like trying to listen to FM stations on an AM radio. To do what you are saying I think you would have to:

1. Take Treo apart and replace radio and probably motherboard.
    2. Replace Verizon CDMA ROM with Cingular or Unlocked GSM ROM.\
    3. Buy a GSM Prepaid SIM card and configure everything for India.
    4. Reverse steps 3, 2, 1 when you get back.

Looking here:

http://www.indiamobiles.com/
    http://www.aircel.com/north_east/index.html

I see ads for GSM and GSM servcie area descriptions so it looks like India is a GSM country. Unless they have a competing CDMA network which I don't think is very likely. But, I also found this:

http://www.expressindia.com/fe/daily.../efe16005.html

The last source I saw said 100 million CDMA phones and 750 million GSM worldwide. Since I'd have to give CDMA more numbers here in US, that's gotta make CDMA pretty scarce outside of US.

Good to know that just to make phone work outside of US you've to dismantel it. I think this is reason why I never had CDMA phones in past and will not have one in future. I switched from Verizon to Cingular and dont have anymore issues with dropped calls that I had with "America's most reliable network". In India Reliance India and TATA Indicomm are 2 companies that provide CDMA network rest all are on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mj123
    I switched from Verizon to Cingular and dont have anymore issues with dropped calls that I had with "America's most reliable network". In India Reliance India and TATA Indicomm are 2 companies that provide CDMA network rest all are on GSM.
    Verizon "lost the title" to Cingular last year....lastest independednt studies show verizon getting knocked off. Ya notice Verizon dropped those commercials and Cingular is now airing them in Januaru ? Methinks while Verizon was putting money -> EVDO rollout, Cingular spent their funds on upgrading their network in key areas. That may turn out to haunt Cingular later when more EVDO capable phones rollout. Right now Cimgular only has UTMS / HSDPA in about 65 markets and with 12-15 a month being added it will be November or so before they match verizon's coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mj123
    Good to know that just to make phone work outside of US you've to dismantel it.
    There are physical and technology differecnes between GSM and CDMA phones:

1. GSM has 50% more battery life
    2. GSM does voice and data simultaneously.
    3. GSM travels internationally w/o problem
    4. GSM users can swap SIMS.
    5. GSM can not use BT and speaker output at same time.

If you plan on international travel frequently, GSM would seem to be the better option. Last I read 750 million GSM phones to 100 million CDAM phones in world.
    2. GSM does voice and data simultaneously.
    Are you sure??? That is Not simultaneously. Data pause for voice calls to come in. But it is still not simultaneous or is it???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Search did not reveal specifically what I was looking for, so I am going to ask a tangentially related question:

If I purchase a CDMA phone that is locked to a US carrier, it is possible to unlock/flash/convert it for use on another network, outside the US?

Specifically, my wife is considering a Treo, and there are many Sprint 600s and 650s available through eBay and TC. Since she is on Bell Mobility in Canada, is it worth considering a US-based CDMA phone for use on the Canadian network? If we find a Bell-locked phone, we know that we'll have to pay the Bell drones $25 to reprogram the phone to her number, but I don't know if they would have a clue what to do with a non-Bell-locked phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    Are you sure??? That is Not simultaneously. Data pause for voice calls to come in. But it is still not simultaneous or is it???
    I can only do one thing well at once so I never bothered delving into the details but if you Yahoo CDMA vs GSM, this is one of the oft quoted features.and I am just paraphrasing what I recall

I vaguely rememebr a forum post about GSM A and GSM B .... the first alternates and the 2nd was simultaneous.

See this

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../10903_na.HTML
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch
    If I purchase a CDMA phone that is locked to a US carrier, it is possible to unlock/flash/convert it for use on another network, outside the US?.
    Unlocking a CDMA phone doesn't do much for ya as you are gonna have a real hard time finding any CDMA networks outside of north america.
    Unlocking a CDMA phone doesn't do much for ya as you are gonna have a real hard time finding any CDMA networks outside of north america.
    My wife's carrier (Bell Mobility) is a CDMA network, so I'm wondering if a Treo locked to Sprint can somehow be converted for use on Bell's network. I (and my wife) am not overly concerned about her travels outside NA, and if push comes to shove, I have a GSM Treo, so I will be the designated world traveller.
    A CDMA Treo is definitely not usable in most places outside North America. While American GSM phones can be used outside of the US, the per minute service charges are exhorbitant if you are using your home service.

The option that I have used was to buy a cheap world phone (available on eBay for $50 or less) and then buy a SIM card for the country that you are going to be in. If you do this in advance, you can call forward your CDMA phone to the international number. You can then simply purchase additional minutes for your world phone.

I did this in Italy last summer, and it worked great. Of course, this was only for phone service. It won't help if you need to use the data functions of your Treo.
    I've done similar with forwarding, but what I've found most effective is to use Skype and the SkypeIN service. Forward the CDMA to the SkypeIN number, and then let SkypeIN forward internationally.

On Sprint, there's no choice -- you can't forward calls outside the US, but it's also a lot cheaper that Sprint would be anyway (since they would charge something like a dollar a minute). It also gives you the flexibility of being able to use Skype to change the number you forward to while on the road (nice in situations where you don't already know the number you are going to have)

Steve