1.    #1  
    I have some questions about switching from Cingular to Sprint, that I'm hoping some of you can answer.

First, I understand that I'll have to get a new 650. My 650 is GSM, and Sprint is CDMA, so the phones are incompatible. That's annoying, but, as far as I understand, there's nothing that can be done. (Other than maybe finding someone wanting to switch from Sprint to Cingular and trading phones, or maybe I could sell my 650 for close to what a new phone from Sprint would cost, since it's now unlocked and unbranded.)

I use my 650 as a wireless BT modem for my laptop. The plan I need on Cingular to do this is $40 a month, unlimited. I called Sprint, and the lady on the phone told me it would be $40 a month for unlimited bandwidth, but I checked the website and it says $80 a month for unlimited. However, I've herad many people say Sprint's plan is $15 a month, so I'm confused. What plan do I actually need to both use internet ON the Treo, and THROUGH the Treo on my laptop?

Are there any pros or cons from switching from GSM to CDMA, or specifically, from Cingular to Sprint? I think Cingular has better coverage out where I live, but my (new) wife has Sprint, and adding me to her plan would be $10 a month, vs. the $40 + taxes I'm paying now for my call plan through Cingular. As long as I can get unlimited data for $40 a month or less, then it would definitely save me money.

Any tips, hints, comments, or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Sprints Vision plan is anywhere from 10-20 (maybe 25) dollars. It varies depending on the package (like if you want to upload pictures and other useless crap.) This is for use with the Treo. You can usually get away with casual DUN under these plans. I wouldn't suggest you download DVD's from alt.binaries groups all day long though.

You could probably sell your 650 here, or on eBay, and pay for a subsidized Sprint 650.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I always go by coverage first. So as long as you are getting the needed coverage in your local area and places that you travel it should be fine. If you travel overseas on a regular basis then I would stick with GSM. I have the cheap Vision ($10.00) which provides unlimited data. As mentioned above, as long as you are doing casual surfing you can get away. We did the same when we got married...my wife switched from Cingular to my Sprint plan. It has worked well for us (cheaper and better coverage).
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahan
    I use my 650 as a wireless BT modem for my laptop. The plan I need on Cingular to do this is $40 a month, unlimited. I called Sprint, and the lady on the phone told me it would be $40 a month for unlimited bandwidth, but I checked the website and it says $80 a month for unlimited. However, I've herad many people say Sprint's plan is $15 a month, so I'm confused. What plan do I actually need to both use internet ON the Treo, and THROUGH the Treo on my laptop?
    Cingular Media Net = Unlimited Data Plan = $19.99
    Cingular PDA Net = Unlimited Data Plan w/ VPN = $39.99
    Sprint Unlimited Data Plan = $15

Unless you need VPN, no reason to spring for PDA Net

regarding all of the above better read the fine print before switching anything:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=fine+print

Are there any pros or cons from switching from GSM to CDMA, or specifically, from Cingular to Sprint?
    -The CNG Treo's battery lasts 50% longer.
    -You can travel internationally w/o much hassle witha GSM phone
    -You can swap SIM cards in phone say while boating in case you don't wanna risk Treo

I think Cingular has better coverage out where I live, but my (new) wife has Sprint, and adding me to her plan would be $10 a month, vs. the $40 + taxes I'm paying now for my call plan through Cingular. As long as I can get unlimited data for $40 a month or less, then it would definitely save me money.
    If coverage is better, why not switch wifie to your plan and let hers be $10 a month ????? I got wife and 2 kids on my plan and pay $30 for the extra 3 phones and $20 for unlimited data on Treo.....that was $5 mor for data under Sprint's offering but the CNG voice plan was $10 cheaper so I came out ahead $5 and have an extra 50 minutes (850 vs 800) than Sprint was offering. Plan offerings change month to month, so check this often.

This way you keep ya battery life and better coverage, and get to swap SIMS with her phone when you go fishing...better to drop hers in the water than your Treo

[/QUOTE]
    I switched from Cingular to Sprint about a year ago. Cingular's coverage in Maryland & Delaware was not the best for me, especially in buildings. Sprint coverage in my area is much, much better, and in building coverage is better as well. The only two downsides to CDMA on the 650 that I have experienced are shorter battery life on the CDMA 650 versus GSM 650, and not being able to receive phone calls when I'm using data services (e-mail, web). If you are going to tether to a laptop, I'd recommend using PDA NET in lieu of bluetooth. PDA NET is much faster than using bluetooth DUN. Sprint saves me about $60/month over Cingular, so I'm totally happy that I left Cingular for Sprint.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeman
    Sprint saves me about $60/month over Cingular, so I'm totally happy that I left Cingular for Sprint.
    Wow think you just set the record. I can't even get a Verizon quote with that much difference. When I signed up, Sprint was $10 more for voice service and $5 cheaper for data for a net savings of $5 on CNG....and 50 extra minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Wow think you just set the record. I can't even get a Verizon quote with that much difference. When I signed up, Sprint was $10 more for voice service and $5 cheaper for data for a net savings of $5 on CNG....and 50 extra minutes.
    Cingular's overage killed me, plus I get a 10% BMWCCA discount with Sprint.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    Wish I cud trade with ya....I have 7,000+ rollover minutes.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I saved $80 by switching to Sprint, but, there's a catch =) I was paying $40 for voice, and $40 for data (I know I could have dropped off the PDANet plan, but the first rep I talked to didn't want me to, and I hadn't pushed it yet). With taxes, my bill was $99.50 a month.

It cost $10 to add me to my wife's family plan (which had enough minutes to cover me), and $10 a month for unlimited data.

I paid $219 for my Sprint Treo, but I should be able to cover that by selling my unlocked, unbranded GSM (ex-Cingular) phone.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint