webOS Nation Forums >  Carrier Discussion >  North American Carriers (CDMA) > Verizon - The beep people here when they call you and you're on the other line
Verizon - The beep people here when they call you and you're on the other line

Old 03/10/2006, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Does this feature **** off anyone else, or just me? This is when you're on the phone, someone else calls you, and THEY hear a beep in between rings telling them you're on the phone.

So, I did some research and here's what I learned. This _can_ be turned off, IN SOME CASES. Instructions:

1.) Call Verizon Wireless, ask the CSR for a tech.
2.) Explain to the tech that you want to turn off, "Call Waiting Distinctive Ring". NOT call waiting in general, just the distinctive ring piece.
3.) If you are a lucky one and your area code and prefix assigned you to a Lucent switch (hardware Verizon uses), the tech CAN turn this off. However, if you are one of the unlucky ones assigned to an HLR brand switch, this CAN'T be turned off.

I'm one of the unlucky ones. Dammit. Only fix is for me to switch my phone number (not an option). If anyone else has more info on this, please let us know.

Adam
adamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2006, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I agree that this is incredibly annoying. I am in a very sensitive service business. I cannot afford having my callers thinking that another call is more important than their own. I was able to have the beep turned off, but only after about a half dozen tries and a good deal of wasted time and frustration. I know others who have also eliminated this annoyance.
frampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2006, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

You're lucky they could do that. I would like it removed for the same reason. I may try to see if I can find someone who would be willing to stick their neck out on the line for me and move me to a Lucent switch.

Does anyone have any specific named folks at Verizon in customer service or tech's who have been helpful in fixing advanced problems or that you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Adam
adamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2006, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can't you just turn off "call waiting" ?

Anyone who expects me to drop a client's call and take their call instead is a client I don't need.
JackNaylorPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2006, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

You actually need to get a "seasoned" tech to fix your problem.

The HLR (mostly known as motorola)switch is simply the Lucent switch with a different interface. The tech should still have the ability to go into the forms in the HLR switch, navigate to the field that controls the beep (i forget what page its on) and turn it off.

It may take some time to get someone that knows what they're doing, but its definitely possible.
brilluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2006, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

anyone know if there are any fixes for Sprint users? it does seem goofy that we have the ability to "ignore" an incoming call yet we are still reminded of it until the damn thing goes to voicemail...especially if you're a businessperson (and I venture that most of us are if we're using a Treo).
shovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2006, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have issues with mine on Sprint, but I had to call for my girlfriends SideKick on T-Mobile...Boy it was pissing me off when someone was calling her and I could hear it...
MadlyAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2006, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive
I don't have issues with mine on Sprint, but I had to call for my girlfriends SideKick on T-Mobile...Boy it was pissing me off when someone was calling her and I could hear it...
You must be an adult
Old 05/05/2006, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegrrl
You must be an adult
If you call 22 an adult I'm still called the little one from everyone even though I've been more mature than 35 year olds!
MadlyAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2006, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton
I agree that this is incredibly annoying. I am in a very sensitive service business. I cannot afford having my callers thinking that another call is more important than their own.
You would rather have them think you're just not answering their call because you're screening calls?
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2006, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive
If you call 22 an adult I'm still called the little one from everyone even though I've been more mature than 35 year olds!
k
Old 05/06/2006, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

yeah, that got off track.

anyway, just thought I'd post this...I called Sprint (since all references to this issue are for Verizon) and three techs told me that there was nothing they could do.

"It's done on the network...we can disable call waiting completely if you like" was the response.

of course, if I did, and all incoming calls went to voicemail, I'd get ding'ed for a minute of usage every time I checked the voicemail, even though I pay for PCS-PCS calling (and last I checked, calling myself from my cell phone was PCS-PCS).

if anybody has had success with disabling the beeping sound when they get call waiting on a Sprint network, please let me know how you did it.
Old 05/06/2006, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe
You would rather have them think you're just not answering their call because you're screening calls?
I wouldn't call it screening your calls...you're giving all your clients the 100% attention they deserve, and remind them of that when they hit your voicemail. that said, though, your customers may get frustrated that you don't have a "bounce" line or a receptionist to at least answer the phone.

it's all in how you spin it, right?!
Old 05/06/2006, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovi
it's all in how you spin it, right?!
So true.
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2006, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Isnt that why they call it "Call Waiting", so you know that you have another call coming in??
Old 05/07/2006, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think this subject got turned around from the beep that people hear in between rings when CALLING your Verizon number and the beep the person being called hears. I happen to like this feature. Whenever I call someone and hear that beep, I just hang up immediately and call them back later. That way they aren't bothered with the beep that they hear telling them they have a call coming in. I also know that people calling me know that I'm on the phone and not just ignoring them.
RickMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2006, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilluminati View Post
You actually need to get a "seasoned" tech to fix your problem.

The HLR (mostly known as motorola)switch is simply the Lucent switch with a different interface. The tech should still have the ability to go into the forms in the HLR switch, navigate to the field that controls the beep (i forget what page its on) and turn it off.

It may take some time to get someone that knows what they're doing, but its definitely possible.
I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with one of the most patient CSRs on the planet. It started with me asking someone in the data group about the "Call Waiting Distinctive Ring" option. He had to go to another CSR, who predictably thought I wanted to shut down Call Waiting all together. He stuck it out with me, finally asking me just to email this thread to him.

We spent another 20 minutes going through techs until he found someone who understood what we were trying to do. Apparently, the HLR switch has been upgraded and this feature is no longer modifiable. It only still works on the Lucents, so Bay Area is out of luck. I could move to a Portland or San Luis Obisbo number, though...

FYI,
MB
belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2009, 04:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

I am equally annoyed by this problem, and after calling Verizon tech support and finding out that the switch I'm on doesn't allow them to shut this option off, the tech guy offered an alternative solution.

He recommended I sign up for ringback tones, which is $0.99/month and $1.99 per ring tone (clips of songs, thousands of choices). If you choose a song for your ringback tone, your callers will hear that song instead of the beep. They will hear that song regardless of whether or not you're on the other line or not. So, the experience for the person calling you is the same whether you're on the phone or not...no beep either way, just the song.

Hope this helps.
jmk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2009, 08:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk2000 View Post
I am equally annoyed by this problem, and after calling Verizon tech support and finding out that the switch I'm on doesn't allow them to shut this option off, the tech guy offered an alternative solution.

He recommended I sign up for ringback tones, which is $0.99/month and $1.99 per ring tone (clips of songs, thousands of choices). If you choose a song for your ringback tone, your callers will hear that song instead of the beep. They will hear that song regardless of whether or not you're on the other line or not. So, the experience for the person calling you is the same whether you're on the phone or not...no beep either way, just the song.

Hope this helps.
This may help for the casual user, as far as people using the phone for business though a "ringback" is VERY unprofessional in my opinion.

Pa-pa-pa-poker face poker face. That's what I want my clients hearing when they call me. I don't really listen to lady ga-ga, but the newest episode of south park with cartman rocking out on guitar hero was hilarious.
guerillatwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2009, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

There are a ton of classical choices, which I believe would be appropriate for business calls. Of course, you can choose Lady Ga Ga if you like
jmk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0