Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lmao...only if it's Cartman's version.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk2000 View Post
    I am equally annoyed by this problem, and after calling Verizon tech support and finding out that the switch I'm on doesn't allow them to shut this option off, the tech guy offered an alternative solution.

He recommended I sign up for ringback tones, which is $0.99/month and $1.99 per ring tone (clips of songs, thousands of choices). If you choose a song for your ringback tone, your callers will hear that song instead of the beep. They will hear that song regardless of whether or not you're on the other line or not. So, the experience for the person calling you is the same whether you're on the phone or not...no beep either way, just the song.

Hope this helps.
    Even with a ring back tone you can still tell if your on the phone. When you get a incoming call the phone makes a normal ring then the song plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamt View Post
    Does this feature **** off anyone else, or just me? This is when you're on the phone, someone else calls you, and THEY hear a beep in between rings telling them you're on the phone.

So, I did some research and here's what I learned. This _can_ be turned off, IN SOME CASES. Instructions:

1.) Call Verizon Wireless, ask the CSR for a tech.
    2.) Explain to the tech that you want to turn off, "Call Waiting Distinctive Ring". NOT call waiting in general, just the distinctive ring piece.
    3.) If you are a lucky one and your area code and prefix assigned you to a Lucent switch (hardware Verizon uses), the tech CAN turn this off. However, if you are one of the unlucky ones assigned to an HLR brand switch, this CAN'T be turned off.

I'm one of the unlucky ones. Dammit. Only fix is for me to switch my phone number (not an option). If anyone else has more info on this, please let us know.

Adam
    I just spent almost 2 hours on the phone with 2 different techs. I told them both about the above information you post and this is what I duscivered. When calling Verizon tell the CSR that you would like to speak to a t
    TIER 2 Advance level support Tech please trust me they are the ONLY Tech that can assist you with this issue. I no longer have the distinctive ring indicating to my callers that I'm on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Calhoun View Post
    I just spent almost 2 hours on the phone with 2 different techs. I told them both about the above information you post and this is what I duscivered. When calling Verizon tell the CSR that you would like to speak to a t
    TIER 2 Advance level support Tech please trust me they are the ONLY Tech that can assist you with this issue. I no longer have the distinctive ring indicating to my callers that I'm on the phone.

I just used your instructions and I was able to have my problem fixed in about three minutes. Its so simple and easy to have it removed. Thanks for you advice!!
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Let's see if they can do the opposite for me. I moved from NJ to DE and "Call Waiting Distinctive Ring" stopped working. When I travel back to NJ it starts again. I've asked Tier 2 to figure out why it's disabled in DE.

They say that it should work everywhere except some parts of AZ so they will fix it and give me a call back... We'll see.

BTW, every time I call Verizon they ask what phone I'm using. My Pre 3 can't be identified in their phone database.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Just here to report that as of the 23rd of March 2015 that this is still possible with Verizon Wireless.

Not only is it possible, it's possible on Lucent and HLR switches. If someone tells you it can't be done on an HLR switch, that is simply not true. I called today in reference to this thread and got an awesome representative who worked through it with me, took about 25 minutes total.

I had mentioned it was on the switch and he had said mine was HLR, and he said he remembered seeing what I described on Lucent switches before... he tried a couple things with my phone off and the SIM card out, we tested it, and it worked.

Just gotta get the right rep, I'm sure. I told the initial person VZW connected me with that I needed a level 2 and explained to her what it was I needed and it wasn't long before she transferred me to the guy I wound up speaking to. Overall pretty efficient, and we both learned something.
    I called Verizon's regular tech support and was told it couldn't be done. I asked to speak to tier 2 tech support like others suggested and was told she couldn't transfer me without trouble shooting. HUH? You just told me it canít be done!? Hung up and googled tier 2 customer number Ė 866-221-4096. Got a lady quickly after going through the prompts, told her what I was trying to get removed and presto DONE!
    Just talked to Verizon and it is called the RBT Feature. Point them to the Subscriber View in your account and it is under Other Features.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12