1.    #1  
    Sounds like a silly question, but will my Sprint Treo 650 work in Hong Kong? If I live there for an extended period of time, what is my best option?

Are Treo 650s available in Hong Kong, and if so, what are the rate plans like? Would I have to switch to a GSM Treo 650 in order for me to make calls from Hong Kong to the U.S., and for U.S. residents to phone me in Hong Kong?

Thanks
    Casey
    No, CDMA is only available in the US. If your going to be there for a while you'd need an unlocked GSM phone (Cingular or T-Mobile). You could purchase a SIM (usually pre-paid) when you get there.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Not true. Hong Kong has CDMA and GSM. My Sprint Treo 650 roams fine in Hong Kong and Taiwan. CDMA is NOT a US only technology. Go to http://www.cdg.org/ for more info.

Now getting the Sprint Treo 650 working in Hong Kong on a local CDMA carrier is another story. I doubt they'll add an unknown ESN to their network. You can try but even if they add you to their network, your phone will always say "roaming" until hack your Treo to load the local carrier's PRL file (not sure if this is even possible). Even after that, it might not work right since the data network might be setup differently even if it's 1x RTT capable.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    No, CDMA is only available in the US. If your going to be there for a while you'd need an unlocked GSM phone (Cingular or T-Mobile). You could purchase a SIM (usually pre-paid) when you get there.

Aren't you a Sprint rep? They should really inform you guys a little better.

International roaming can be accomplished with a Sprint PCS phone with and without a PIN. North America coverage is available in the United States, Canada, Mexico and U.S. area of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Additional coverage is available in several islands of the Caribbean, Central and South America, and areas of Asia. A dual-band or dual-band/tri-mode Sprint PCS phone is required in some areas. Features include making and receiving calls and access to voicemail.
    Ok color me embarrased at my obvious ignorance.

As to Sprint teaching us more or better I would imagine it never came up because of what was earlier stated about using a Sprint phone on another network. I was aware of the ability to Roam in North America and the Carribean and generalized "US only". I will try to be more specific in the future. Besides, the fine members here are far more educated about Cell phone capabiliities than any Company Rep I've ever spoken to.

Anyway, I appreciate the correction and education.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Hey, I just got back from Hong kong. My treo 600 (Sprint) automatically logged onto the local cdma system and I was making calls minutes after walking off my flight.
    Reception was great also except I could not get any data service (email). Nor do I know what the per minute cost was - have yet to see my Sprint bill.

Hope this answer the question.
  7.    #7  
    Hi Sunnyt,

Did you ever find out about your costs? I have free roaming myself, but don't know if free roaming means I can make phone calls in Hong Kong or not. Also, were you ever able to get emails, or not at all during your visit there? That would suck if I can't emails.

Thanks, Casey.