Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1.    #1  
    If you are at the beginning of your contract with Sprint, what sort of discount do they offer for phone upgrades? I'm a current Treo 600 owner on Verizon and thinking of switching to Sprint (w/ or w/o a 650 purchase) but I want to know if they will offer me a discount on the 700P if it materializes shortly after I sign a contract.

    In theory, I could switch to Sprint now with a new contract and before the end of 2006 there could be a new Treo which I certainly will want to buy.

    Will they charge me the full price of the phone AND make me sign a new contract if I want to upgrade?

    I'm trying to determnine the potential cost of my impatience.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    If you are at the beginning of your contract with Sprint, what sort of discount do they offer for phone upgrades? I'm a current Treo 600 owner on Verizon and thinking of switching to Sprint (w/ or w/o a 650 purchase) but I want to know if they will offer me a discount on the 700P if it materializes shortly after I sign a contract.

    In theory, I could switch to Sprint now with a new contract and before the end of 2006 there could be a new Treo which I certainly will want to buy.

    Will they charge me the full price of the phone AND make me sign a new contract if I want to upgrade?

    I'm trying to determnine the potential cost of my impatience.
    Your best bet is to wait and switch after the 700p shows up. If you're 2 months into a contract with Sprint and decide you want to upgrade your phone and want a discount, Sprint will probably tell you TS. Their policy used to be (I don't know if they're still doing it or not) that you were eligibile for an upgrade discount every 18 months, and it would require you to sign a new contract to get the discount.

    I'm pretty sure that if you're 2 or so months in, Sprint's under no obligation at all to offer you anything, you haven't given them enough of a constant revenue stream to be worthy of a discount. They know you're locked for a while, or you're going to pay them an early termination fee. You can always try Retention, but if I was the Retention manager, I wouldn't offer you anything.

    I'd hold out and wait for the sweet new customer deal.
    I'm back!
  3. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #3  
    Jmill is right. If you're 2 months in when the 700P comes out, you'd either have to wait another 16 months to get a $150 discount or pay the ETF (which I think just happens to be $150). You're better off waiting before you make a move.

    On second thought, though, are you paying $45/month for data? If so, you might be better off switching now, paying full price for the 700, and selling your old unit on eBay. The monthly savings on Vision over VZW data can offset $150 pretty darn quickly (and that's before figuring in your eBay profit).
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Jmill is right. If you're 2 months in when the 700P comes out, you'd either have to wait another 16 months to get a $150 discount or pay the ETF (which I think just happens to be $150). You're better off waiting before you make a move.

    On second thought, though, are you paying $45/month for data? If so, you might be better off switching now, paying full price for the 700, and selling your old unit on eBay. The monthly savings on Vision over VZW data can offset $150 pretty darn quickly (and that's before figuring in your eBay profit).
    That is true. You'd chew through the Sprint-vs-Verizon data plan difference in 5 months, since Sprint is dirt cheap.

    But since Verizon already has the 700w, how much of a market is there on eBay for 650's? Probably not much.

    At any rate, switching now will result in you paying full price for the 700 when Sprint gets it. You'll have almost no shot at a meaningful discount.
    I'm back!

Posting Permissions