1.    #1  
    Hi guys,
    my contract with sprint expired in december (merry christmas to me) so now i'm looking to switch my plan/phone and possibly provider. I've settled on the PPC-6700/XV6700 as the phone i want but i can't decide on whether i want verizon or sprint.
    I'm wondering how a call to the retention dept. usually works... do i start complaining right off the bat? or do i just say that i'm interested in a new plan and phone and hope they give me a knock out deal?
    Pretty much i've done my research and it's a dead heat between VZW and sprint...
    verizon has better coverage near my house and up north new england parts where i often travel. they have the nicer looking version of the phone and it costs less upfront, but the service is much more expensive for a similar amount of minutes.
    Sprint has supposedly faster evdo and obvious less costs per month but the phone is more expensive and personally looks a bit ugly. but i can keep my existing treo and switch to it whenever.

could anyone who's done this before offer advice? after i get a retention offer would i be able to think about it and call back or do i have to make a decision right then and there?

ps- i have a business line- so CS reps have been great- but if i port to verizon would i still be able to be counted as a business customer?
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Go retention. I was offered $38 for 1000 anytime minutes, 7pm n/w and Vision/PowerVision. You can't beat that with Verizon. I decided to cheap out and just get a $30 SERO plan since I don't use that many minutes.
    Of the two Sprint has by far he cheaper data plans but nobody's EVDO is faster than anyone else's and Verizon has the better coverage with a year's jump on Sprint in rolling EVDO out.

On both Verizon and Sprint however watch out if you want to tether or use constant feeds.....see the "fine print" thread in this regard.
  4.    #4  
    ok that's great- I think i'm going to stay with sprint cause no matter what it'll be less than sprint in the long run. but the question is...
    what do I do? I call retention and then what do I say?? I've never done this sort of thing. used cars i'm ok with- but cell phones i'm clueless.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Well... I've gotten through to rentention many times by using the direct approach. I call up *2 and say "representative" repeatedly until I get a human and then ask for retentions. If they say they have no idea what I'm talking about, I say the magic word "cancel" and that takes me there. Once there I just say, I've been with you guys a while and there are better plans now, can you help me out. They coughed up $40 for 1000 minutes right away and I think that's been the standard for 6 months or so. I then asked about vision and she put that on the table as well. Then you get the variable loyalty discount. Mine was a mighty small 5% considering I've been with them for 6 years. Most people get 15%. Hence the $38 price for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    ok that's great- I think i'm going to stay with sprint cause no matter what it'll be less than sprint in the long run. but the question is...what do I do? I call retention and then what do I say?? I've never done this sort of thing. used cars i'm ok with- but cell phones i'm clueless.
    I would suegst that you walk into a brick and mortar "all carriers" store.....they know how to work the system and can get access to "higher ups". For example, the dude can say.....Hey I will sell this guy a Cingular Treo for $199 and I'll make more money than if I push him thru you guys so throw something on the table". At the very least you'll geta 1 year contract instead of a two.

Here's an example with the 650 from from Amazon with a one year committment just as an example:

1 year Cingular 650 - $199
    1 year Sprint 650 - $199

You can save another $50 on Sprint w/ a 2 year committment.

So in this instance, your retention thingie would have to be real real good to make up for whatever savings they offer. Lets say they offer $449 purchase price comared tot he above thru retention, you have to get at least $21 a month plan savings thru retention tomake up for the difference.