1.    #1  
    Hello all!

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I am currently under a Verizon contract. I want to get a Verizon Treo 650 off ebay or through the Buy/Sell forum here.

I have a couple of questions about this process.

Before I even think any further about getting the Treo 650 on Verizon service, is there any other fees that I must pay through Verizon to have service on this particular phone. One person said that I must have "other features" included in my plan when using a Treo. I thought that it was just like any other cell phone with the Palm features. I dont think I should definately have to have data services, say, in order to use a Treo on Verizon's network.

Before ordering a phone I know that I should call Verizon CS to check about the validity of the ESN of the phone that I plan to buy. Once this is OK, am I able to activate the Treo online? What is the number to call for this particular dept?

Also, I am planning on selling my current cell phone. How do I disable the service before I purchase a new phone? I dont want to have the buyer of my phone to have access to my service.

EDIT: I heard of problems with the Treo automatically connecting to the web. How does this happen and is it possible to disable this "problem"?

Thanks in advance!!

agibby
  2.    #2  
    I just called Verizon to verify the ESN number and it was OK.

While on the phone with Verizon CS, she told me that I should get a data plan because sending pictures uses data rather than minute airtime. I have the Verizon unlimited IN PIX/TXT messaging. Would I still be charged for data usage when sending the PIX using the 650?

Also, is it me or does 44.99 per month sound outrageous for unlimited data usage?

Thanks again,

agibby
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Data pricing is all relative if you ask me. Yea there are carriers out there who have cheaper data but does it work everywhere? I have not had one issue with my VZW 650, I posted some similar concerns when I bought mine as well and so far its far more stable and reliable than my GSM 650 I had, though I don't bash GSM, the upside to the GSM one was calls would go through and just disconnect your data if you were using it. I personally carry 2 phones just cause I use data constantly. I have Verichat and Chatter running all day.

I bought my 650 from ebay as well and went through the process of finding out about the ESN and such, and had no issues. I was given the option of adding the data. If you don't want it don't get it, you don't have to have it for the phone to work or to send pictures. your IN Pix/Flix/Txt will cover it.

If you want try the data out see if you use it. what I did was just did the pay per use and kept track, when I saw I hit 50 bucks in data and still had half a month to go I added it.

Good Luck and enjoy your 650
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  4.    #4  
    I have been reading that people are being charged alot of overages for sending PIX messages. Aparantly they are being charged per KB when sending PIX messages even though they have the unlimited Pix/Txt message feature.

I dont want to get the phone and then be stuck with the problem of having data overage charges. I also dont wnat to spend 45.00 per month for unlimited data access. This will make my bill be like 110.00 - its already at 70.00.

Also, I get an employee discount of 20%. NOrmally the discount only applies to the access and not the other features. Does this 20% also cover the data access charges?

Thanks!

agibby
    If you get the treo 650 from Verizon, and you get the PIX plan, you are not charged the $.25 per picture that you send. However, the 650 uses the data connection to send PiX/Flix and so you will be charged for that in KB. Sneaky devils aren't they? A 640x640 photo is about 50kb which will cost you about $.75 to send.

Now if you get an el cheaperino phone and get the unlimited pix/txt/flix, you're not charged a data connection.
    pix are not data charges if you send them as a mms message. if you send them in an email as an attachment then you will be charged by the kb and yes they can be expensive. as far as activating you can do it online for free at verizonwireless.com in the my account feature. if you have to call CS they can charge you up to $20 for a processing fee depending on where you live in the country.
    Greetings,

I get charged for both the pix charge and the data and this is using mms.

They told me that if I had another kind of phone and pix, then they would charge me airtime + pix charge, which during off peak or verizon to verizon is unlimited so no charge.

However, since I have data, they charge per pix charge and data.

That is one reason I got unlimited data. I still get charged for pix
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    pix are not data charges if you send them as a mms message. if you send them in an email as an attachment then you will be charged by the kb and yes they can be expensive. as far as activating you can do it online for free at verizonwireless.com in the my account feature. if you have to call CS they can charge you up to $20 for a processing fee depending on where you live in the country.
    I just called verizon to verify an ESN of a phone off ebay. She said that it would be 20.00 to add the phone. However, I noticed a page on the VZW website to do this ESN switch. If i did it online, would i still incur the 20.00 charge?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by agibby5
    Also, I am planning on selling my current cell phone. How do I disable the service before I purchase a new phone? I dont want to have the buyer of my phone to have access to my service.

agibby
    Once you change the esn your old phone will be "deactivated" except for 911 calls untill someone puts that esn on their account.
    Verizon is a rip off - YOU no matter if you send or receive PICTURES not TEXT will incure KB charges. IF you request no data package you can't use the MMS to send pictures - if you do you will be charged for the KB usage. 44.95 is alot of money for data usage, if you don't use for phone for internet and mail. I use my phone constantly for internet and mail, pics and downloading so in turn 44.95 is not bad. The 20% company discount only applies to the minute plan you have not to additional features.
    Verizon $44.95 unlimited data
    Cingular $19.95 unlimited data (MediaNet)
    Cingular $39.95 unlimited data w/ VPN (PDANet)
    Sprint Vision $14.95 (No EVDO)
    Sprint PowerVision $19.95 (EVDO)

That's per my latest recollection
    Im pretty sure you will be charged for data when sending a picture message through MMS.
    I don't have a data plan with Verizon. I send and recieve PIX and TEXT all day long. No data charges because I have the unlimited Pix/Text but I have fired up the National Access and experimented with a BT 3g connection a time or two and incurred data charges at .015 per KB.
    Interesting, I do not know, does Verizon have different kind of accounts? When I did not have a data plan I was charged for data when I sent pix using MMS.
    have any of you tried setting your connections to a dial up or the QNC network?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzman
    have any of you tried setting your connections to a dial up or the QNC network?
    yes, and it works but it is really slow.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112008
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Verizon $44.95 unlimited data
    Cingular $19.95 unlimited data (MediaNet)
    Cingular $39.95 unlimited data w/ VPN (PDANet)
    Sprint Vision $14.95 (No EVDO)
    Sprint PowerVision $19.95 (EVDO)

That's per my latest recollection
    Good recollection...Sprint
    at&t iPhone3G
    I only pay 15 bucks for EVDO Power Vision on sprint...