1.    #1  
    A Sprint engineer told me a few weeks ago that 1xRTT data roaming is coming 'very soon' with Sprint. I have a T650 as well as a Sprint EVDO S620 card. Sprint just today came out with a new version of software for the data card that enables data roaming. I attempted to force data roaming and it appeared to work for a few seconds but then went out of roaming and on Sprint network. So it might be up and running now.

Sprint also just release a PRL update for phones. After updating, I've tried to force data roaming on my T650 but haven't been able to.

Can anyone try roaming on a Treo 650 and see if web browsing works?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    WOW! Data roaming via 1xrtt? So they would data roam via Verizon obviously. Is there any word on how much this will cost? If you already have unlimited voice roaming addon, will this be included or will there be an additional fee to get this?

Thanks xenophonite...you always seem to know everything about this!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    how do you check your prl number?
    several regular phones -> sidekick 2 -> treo 650 -> hopefully 700p
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    From the phone mode, go to the menu, options, phone info and you will see the PRL second from the bottom.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    This could be huge! If it's included w/ unlimited voice roaming ($5/month), it would be a miracle.

Then again, I'm sure VZW will charge Sprint through the nose for this (and we'll end up paying). If they didn't, it would be significantly cheaper to have a Sprint plan and roam on VZW than to subscribe to VZW directly.

VZW must recognize the threat to market share. About a year ago, I was ready to switch from Sprint to VZW until I found out that a comparable plan would be about $150/month on Verizon instead of $90 on Sprint. All the Verizon rep had to say was, "You're paying for the network." If everyone could pay less for the same network thru Sprint, seems VZW would eventually die.

As for testing this out, I should be able to do so tomorrow at work since certain parts of my building get VZW coverage but no Sprint.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  6.    #6  
    I checked with the same Sprint engineer about roaming. He said legal agreements are still in progress but the technical issues have been worked out. Apparently when the legal agreements are signed, the switch gets turned on.
    This would be very cool. Whenever I roam it's usually with Verizon.
  8.    #8  
    One more tidbit. When data roaming comes, it will be with Canadian partners as well.
    question: so with data roaming servies will i be able to SMS, etc?

also- will this apply to non treo phones?
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    I can SMS when roaming. This started a few months ago.
    Thats one of my main dislikes of the 650. Every time i go home to Toronto I feel crippled without my data.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    VZW must recognize the threat to market share. About a year ago, I was ready to switch from Sprint to VZW until I found out that a comparable plan would be about $150/month on Verizon instead of $90 on Sprint. All the Verizon rep had to say was, "You're paying for the network." If everyone could pay less for the same network thru Sprint, seems VZW would eventually die.
    I love how Verizon loves to brag about "their" network, when in reality probably 50% of their coverage is roaming partners. (many of which are the same roaming partners that Sprint has)

It will be interesting, though, to see what Sprint will charge for this. (if anything) Does Verizon charge a fee for data roaming??
    Quote Originally Posted by brutel1
    I can SMS when roaming. This started a few months ago.
    Do you recieve your SMS's too?
    (sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread)
    Yes. My brother is on VZW and we SMS a bit. I roam on VZW when home. 1 morning it my Treo beeped and I received, a week or so later I tried to send while roaming and it went through. Still no data though. Upgraded PRL, but still get "No data while roaming"
    Quote Originally Posted by brutel1
    Yes. My brother is on VZW and we SMS a bit. I roam on VZW when home. 1 morning it my Treo beeped and I received, a week or so later I tried to send while roaming and it went through. Still no data though. Upgraded PRL, but still get "No data while roaming"
    So I don't have my treo for a while now... i have a nokia 6225...

how can i upgrade my prl?
    As far as I'm aware only the Sprint EVDO devices with PRL 20218 have activated the data roaming and Sprint has only confirmed for roaming in Mexico and Canada. The Treos with PRL 10031 have not been verified to add roaming capability and no one from Sprint has officially stated the domestic roaming capability yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    As far as I'm aware only the Sprint EVDO devices with PRL 20218 have activated the data roaming and Sprint has only confirmed for roaming in Mexico and Canada. The Treos with PRL 10031 have not been verified to add roaming capability and no one from Sprint has officially stated the domestic roaming capability yet.

So 1xrtt data roaming will only be for 1xEvdo devices? That makes sense I guess and fits more in line what I recall reading on Hofo's a while ago...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions