1.    #1  
    Just bought a laptop and am thinking about buying PDANet. Just want to confirm a questions I have. Can I use the 650 through the sync cable with PDANet and not get any additional charges? I have the PCS unlimited data plan. Is there any difference between using bluetooth and the cable (besides of course the fact that there is no cable )? Is the speed the same?

Do I have to buy PDANet to get this functionality? Is there a free solution out there?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Yes you can use PDAnet, your sync cable, and Treo 650 with unlimitied data on Sprint without receiving additional charges. I use it whenever I travel.

You don't have to buy PDAnet if you want to use the bluetooth DUN feature. However your PC needs to have bluetooth of you have to get that hardware. The DUN option is slower than the cable. I tried both and decided the speed and easy of use made PDAnet a winner.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjferguson
    Just bought a laptop and am thinking about buying PDANet. Just want to confirm a questions I have. Can I use the 650 through the sync cable with PDANet and not get any additional charges? I have the PCS unlimited data plan. Is there any difference between using bluetooth and the cable (besides of course the fact that there is no cable )? Is the speed the same?

Do I have to buy PDANet to get this functionality? Is there a free solution out there?

PDANet is well worth it. BT Dun was slower than with the sync cable.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I can also confirm there will be no additional charges. Sprint has upped the fee for EVDO phones but 1xRTT phones, including T650, the Vision fee is still $15/month and tethering is officially allowed.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  5.    #5  
    Great. I will buy PDANet and just use the cable. Thanks for the info, exactly what is was looking for. This is going to be great if it works as I expect it to!!!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Works awesome for me as well. Easy set up, faster than dial up, money well spent, and I'm pretty cheap (Ok, thrifty).
    From the "Unlimited Data USage (the fine print) thread.

"Sprint PCS’s branded Vision plan can’t be used for services, whether “host computer” or “server devices,” can’t replace wireline connections, and can’t drive continuous traffic or ongoing data sessions. Sprint says it can terminate without notice for any violation."

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=Fine+Print
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    ... and tethering is officially allowed.
    Since when??? I'm with JackNaylor on this one. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $people$ $get$ $away$ $with$ $it$ $on$ $1xRTT$ $devices$ $since$ $Sprint$ $can$'$t$ $really$ $tell$ $when$ $you$'$re$ $tethering$, $but$ $it$'$s$ $never$ $been$ $officially$ $allowed$, $has$ $it$?
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    http://pcsintel.com/modules.php?name...ticle&sid=1216

"Existing Vision devices will continue to be able to tether without a PAM plan, though Sprint encourages those customers to sign up for a PAM plan."
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    That's a heck of a jump to equate that statement to Sprint "officially allow[ing]" tethering on 1xRTT devices.

Forget for the moment that the article is from a 3rd-party source that doesn't provide references. Even then, there's a big difference between Sprint saying, "We're officially allowing non-EVDO users to tether, and we're updating user agreements accordingly," versus, "It's possible for you to tether with a 1xRTT, but only because we can't catch you in the act. We're not OK with it, but we're powerless to stop you." The latter statement, not the former, is the reality of the situation unless I'm missing something.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    The entire quote is a bit more onerous:

"Sprint has turned on what is known as Modem NAI, a new tethering monitoring system in almost all Power Vision devices that will ensure that Power Vision phones have the required Phone-As-Modem plan to be able to connect to the internet. This includes the Sanyo MM-9000, Samsung MM-A900, MM-A920, and MM-A940. The only exception to this rule is the PPC-6700, which does not support Modem NAI, and will continue to be able to tether without a PAM plan.

Customers who attempt to tether on an EV-DO phone without a PAM plan will receive either no error or an authentication failure message on their phone. Hackers on many sites have posted, and confirmed that there is an existing method on EV-DO Samsung phones to disable Modem NAI, for which Sprint PCS Info is currently providing coverage of.

Existing Vision devices will continue to be able to tether without a PAM plan, though Sprint encourages those customers to sign up for a PAM plan."

The way I am taking this is that existing Vision customers with non Ev-DO phones can continue to do whatever they want however anyone getting a "new EVDO phone" will require a PowerVision account.

Look like the 6700 just got a huge boost over the next Sprint EVDO Treo.
  12.    #12  
    OK, I downloaded the trial version tonight and can't seem to connect. I have a pretty simple setup, XP Pro and a 650. I get some error that I need to turn off bluetooth DUN (it was never on). Also says something about disconnecting my network connection? Did that and still no luck. Is there an easy fix for this?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I don't know if I have to do this but I always disable my laptops wirreless and LAN before connecting with PDAnet. Then I just plug in the USB calbe and click on the PDAnet app on the palm.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    I wish PDAnet would come out with an update for the 650. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts or a reboot to get the program working.

For an expensive program like PDAnet, June Fabrics' customer support is less than stellar.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    I wish PDAnet would come out with an update for the 650. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts or a reboot to get the program working.

For an expensive program like PDAnet, June Fabrics' customer support is less than stellar.
    There is a specific version for the Treo650 different from the version for th 600.

I have had nothing but good service from June Fabrics. When I could not connect, they were able to suggest a fix. Many of the problems are due to the carrier, not the software.