1.    #1  
    Does anybody have experience with this new option?

I was considering getting an A900 as a second phone for use on the weekends and also as a way to teather using EVDO until a new Treo is out.

I went into a store and ... well... I don't know that I believe what they told me. I was told that I would need to pay $15/month for Powervision and another $25/month for the use as a modem.

Can anybody on here tell me if this is correct or what your experience has been with this? Also, does this mean that they now have a way to tell if we are using DUN on our 650s?

Thanks
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson

I was considering getting an A900 as a second phone for use on the weekends and also as a way to teather using EVDO until a new Treo is out.

I went into a store and ... well... I don't know that I believe what they told me. I was told that I would need to pay $15/month for Powervision and another $25/month for the use as a modem.

Can anybody on here tell me if this is correct or what your experience has been with this? Also, does this mean that they now have a way to tell if we are using DUN on our 650s?

Thanks
    Bah! Just use it, then if they charge you tell them you use pTunes and stream music often.
    Not a smart idea for the a900, it has a new technology that can track dun usage. read here www.pcsintel.com The 650 doesn't have any program inside it that can inform sprint so you're safe
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson

Thanks
    IF YOU DONT MIND 40-50KB SPEED THEN THEY ARE PROBABLY CLOSE TO WHAT YOU WILL PAY. BUT WILL YOU USE IT SO MUCH THAT WAITING WILL BE YOU LATEST PART TIME JOB?
    GOOD LUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectmw
    IF YOU DONT MIND 40-50KB SPEED THEN THEY ARE PROBABLY CLOSE TO WHAT YOU WILL PAY. BUT WILL YOU USE IT SO MUCH THAT WAITING WILL BE YOU LATEST PART TIME JOB?
    GOOD LUCK
    Is your caps lock broken? In how many more threads do people need to remind you to try lowercase letters?
    I'm back!
    From the "Fine Print" Thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=Fine+Print

Sprint PCS’s branded Vision plan can’t be used for services, whether “host computer” or “server devices,” can’t replace wireline connections, and can’t drive continuous traffic or ongoing data sessions. Sprint says it can terminate without notice for any violation."
    From what I've read from reliable sourcesa on HoFo, this will be the new legitimate way to tether with Ev-DO and Sprint will be able to detect tethering with Ev-DO. Last I heard, Sprint's system hadn't implemented this plan correctly, but eventually it would work such that you'd get unlimited use "in" your phone plus 40MB of tethered use with this $40 ($15 Vision + $25 tether) plan. That price/MB ratio needs some rethinking IMO. I'm also not sure why they (as far as I can tell) wouldn't allow users to purchase just the $60 Ev-DO plan and use that for unlimited in-phone and tethered usage. Right now you can get a free PCMCIA Ev-DO card with the $60 plan, so this would save Sprint the cost of the card, and would be a pretty tempting deal for users, IMO.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwclements1
    Not a smart idea for the a900, it has a new technology that can track dun usage. read here www.pcsintel.com The 650 doesn't have any program inside it that can inform sprint so you're safe
    But the 650 can't use EVDO. I hope the 700p doesn't have this new dun tracking.
    Just wondering why would Sprint allow DUN enabled on the 1xrtt Treo 650 and then disable it on the future 1xEvDo 700p?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    They don't officially allow DUN on the 650 do they? Yes, their enabling of BT DUN suggests that they're OK with it, but I thought that their TOS disallows it.

My guess is that they figure that they can't track it on the 650 and its slow enough that serious business users would prefer the faster speed of Ev-DO even if they have to pay for it. And since they *can* track it on Ev-DO they're going to make use of that and make you pay for the privilege.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Yes, it is permitted by Sprint, within reason:

http://kb.pcsintel.com/index.php?tit..._as_a_modem.3F

Only EV-DO phones (not including the PPC-6700) block the ability to use the phone as a modem until adding a special phone-as-modem plan.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net