1.    #1  
    I heard of Verizon having some sort of high-speed internet, but what about Sprint? The current data streams they have now are okay but I want some high-speed... Anything in the plans? Maybe there is but I haven't been keeping up.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    sprint DOES have EVDO, but your treo isn't evdo capable
    1 | 2
  3.    #3  
    ah okay... explains much. if the next sprnt treo allows it will it cost anymore than my unlimited vision?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Right now it looks to be $5 more. The Sprint site has teh EVDO areas marked on their coverage map now.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    For a comparison of Sprint and Verizon EVDO, see....
    http://www.evdoforums.com/about1235.html
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    -Verizon has EVDO in about 60 cities. Major market (150 million peeps) coverage expoected by year's end. WM based Treo is out.
    -Haven't found anything which indicates how many sities have Sprint EVDO....Palm OS based phone expected 1 - 3 months. No forecast on major markewt coverage.
    -Cingular is using HSDPA in about 20 cities. Palm OS based phone expected 4-6 months. Major market coverage expected by year's end.

The speed ratio between HDSPA3.6 and EVDO is just over 2:1 on download. Upload speeds are comparable now but the HDSPA folks have locked the upload speed right now ... suppossed to have leash off by end of year.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    -
    -Haven't found anything which indicates how many sities have Sprint EVDO....Palm OS based phone expected 1 - 3 months.
    Sprint has EVDO in 212 cities but they inappropriately distinguish some cities that are part of metro areas. Realistically Sprint is in about 120+ distinct markets compared to Verizon's 60-80 depending on what you call a market. Verizon covers about 150m population with EVDO while Sprint is probably at 175-180m and growing constantly. Verizon has slowed down rollout because many market only have 800mhz towers, which does not have much capacity for EVDO. Sprint has all 1900mhz towers so can do 100% of network.

Sprint is adding EVDO at a rate of 14m population coverage a week according to RCR Wireless news. Sprint plans to do 100% network to EVDO by 2007. See my last link for more info and sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    -
    The speed ratio between HDSPA3.6 and EVDO is just over 2:1 on download. Upload speeds are comparable now but the HDSPA folks have locked the upload speed right now ... suppossed to have leash off by end of year.
    Not in the real world, assuming Cingular uses this HSDPA 3.6 for their current Broadband Connect. Speeds are consistently the same as current EVDO. If Cingular is using a lower or capped HSDPA then the higher revision HSDPA should be more comparable to EVDO Rev. A.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    Not in the real world, assuming Cingular uses this HSDPA 3.6 for their current Broadband Connect. Speeds are consistently the same as current EVDO. If Cingular is using a lower or capped HSDPA then the higher revision HSDPA should be more comparable to EVDO Rev. A.
    Isn't Las Vegas and Atlanta in the real world ? The reports I have seen coming out of the CES last month, this technology was demonstarted "live" at the Convention. Samsung, LG and others have phones on sale that are HDSPA compatable. Dell and IBM have HDSPA compatable laptops....but I think IBM's is only HDSPA 1.8.

The original "real world" testing was done with a "trial network" in Atlanta in mid 2004.

"The trial network in Atlanta gave over-the-air data rates of more than 3Mbps, and also supported a wide variety of high-bandwidth multimedia services including high-quality streaming video as well as fast downloads of high-resolution images and other large files. The trial was also able to demonstrate reductions in transmission delays that would enable interactive services and applications such as multi-player video gaming in the mobile market."

Major market coverage is expected by end of 2006 with 20 cities already having goine "live". Lik EVDO, I don't think we'll see a Treo until we see 50 cities with full coverage.

Here's the Samsung PRPRPR.

http://letsgodigital.be/en/news/arti...tory_5702.html

There were a lot of sites to pick from last month but alas as search engines link to news "home" pages which change daily I am getting tons of non hits.

As for Cingular using it, you can read about that here:

http://www.mobilecomms-technology.co...ects/cingular/

"The Cingular UMTS / HSDPA network will initially support data speeds of up to 3.6Mbps (the top speed of the first generation of HSDPA-ready devices expected to become available during 2005). Speeds will increase and will ultimately approach the theoretical maximum of 14.4Mbps as more advanced devices become available."

Interesting comments in there regarding VoiP using HDSPA.

The theroetical limit of HDSPA is 14 Mbps but why they call it 3.6 when it averages 2.0 "in real life" is beyond me. This peak instantaneous rating stuff is bogus. Feb 13 is world GSM conference so expect more announcements in a few days.

The thing I find confusing is some devcies now support both 1.8 and 3.6 while others 1.8. If Cingular releases the Treo with only 1.8, I will be hugely disappointed. But again, this may be a strategy to keep us buying new Treos every year....1.8 in 2006 and 3.6 in 2007. Not me, if it don't do 3.6, I'd be hard pressed to upgrade. In fact if my 650 was broke, I'd probaly replace it with another 650 in protest .
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/08/2006 at 11:10 AM.
    I can't find any real-world Cingular performance results from users but TMobile is starting to appear...
    http://www.dslreports.com/archive/tmodns.net

It's comparable but not peaking as high as Sprint...
    http://www.dslreports.com/archive/spcsdns.net

Nothing showing up yet for Cingular....
    http://www.dslreports.com/archive/mycingular.net
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    Right now it looks to be $5 more. The Sprint site has teh EVDO areas marked on their coverage map now.
    Is this what Sprint refers to as "Power Vision", as opposed to regular Vision? I'm not sure if PwrVis means EVDO, or includes extras like picture mail, ringtone downloads, TV program downloads, etc. I'd like to get EVDO Vision with no extra bells and whistles for $10.
    PowerVision is indeed the EVDO version of Vision. It starts at $15/month and you can't get it for $10 unless possibly talking CS rep into grandfathering.