1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I've been reading because I'm going to be traveling outside the US of A, and was looking about international roaming with my sprint treo, and was reading on some website about something in Europe called w-CDMA. Does anyone know what his is and if my treo (600) or a triband/mode dualband/mode phone will work there?

Thanks
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    WCDMA is the 3G standard that includes UMTS and EV-DO. Your Treo 600 will not roam on either of these networks.
    Last edited by alucard; 01/23/2006 at 08:44 AM.
    Actually WCDMA is UMTS/HSDPA and is NOT EV-DO. This is one of the common mistakes. WCDMA is in no way related to CDMA used by verizon or Spritn. It's 3G UMTS/HSDPA used as a 3G for the GSM companies like Cingular and TMobile.

I know, confusing.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Definition of CDMA2000 (Sprint, Verizon):

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=10

Definition of WCDMA (UMTS, HSDPA)

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=104

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I misstated WCDMA as including EVDO when in actuality I meant FOMA. Also, HSDPA is not W-CDMA , and UMTS and HSDPA are two separate protocols and not interchangeable. UMTS is 3G whereas HSDPA is considered 3.5G. UMTS is specified by release 99 of the 3GPP standard, while HSDPA is subsequently specified two releases later in release 5. HSDPA is evolved from and backwards compatible with W-CDMA.
    Last edited by alucard; 01/23/2006 at 09:05 AM.
    well. yes and no.

CDMA2000 by Qualcomm: current 1xRTT and EV-DO, and future EV-DV

WCDMA by Ericsson: yes, FOMA is an older version that has been around in Japan for awhile, but incompatible with what is being deployed in Europe and other places. HSDPA and later, HSUPA are both enhancements to basic WCDMA. HSDPA is to WCDMA what EDGE is to GPRS, an enhancement.

UTMS: originally designated the 2100 mHz spectrum, but has come to be synonymous with WCDMA.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey