Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
       #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    Once this thing is up'ed to 64 megs or memory, it will be a badassed pdaphone and maybe some of these freeware programs will actually work
    What's infuriating is that once you add in the cost of adding RAM and WiFi you've blown the price sky high (including the warranty.) It's too bad and reeks of the 650.

    Personally I love the form factor and ease of use to just do what you have to do easily. But the more I've been using my phone to be a "laptop replacement" for some simple tasks, the more I've appreciated the power.

    Let's not even mention the WiFi and ability to avoid ever being raped again by the likes of Verizon.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    What's infuriating is that once you add in the cost of adding RAM and WiFi you've blown the price sky high (including the warranty.) It's too bad and reeks of the 650.

    Personally I love the form factor and ease of use to just do what you have to do easily. But the more I've been using my phone to be a "laptop replacement" for some simple tasks, the more I've appreciated the power.

    Let's not even mention the WiFi and ability to avoid ever being raped again by the likes of Verizon.

    fortunately i can both afford the VZ coverage/data/EVDO (but is paid by my employer nonetheless) and don't see a need for wi-fi. as for right now, those who don't try and use their Treo 700's as laptop replacements are probably enjoying their phone right out of the box. if a RAM upgrade became available I'd probably spend happily for it, but it's not something i need at this very moment. seems like those who don't want or can't afford Verizon's data/EVDO offering are those who continuously like to put them down....getting old. want wi-fi? get a wi-fi device. want inexpensive data? get inexpensive data. want sprint or cingular or t-mobile? then sign up with them!
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    fortunately i can both afford the VZ coverage/data/EVDO (but is paid by my employer nonetheless) and don't see a need for wi-fi...seems like those who don't want or can't afford Verizon's data/EVDO offering are those who continuously like to put them down....getting old. want wi-fi? get a wi-fi device. want inexpensive data? get inexpensive data. want sprint or cingular or t-mobile? then sign up with them!
    This thread has nothing to do with the cost of Verizon's data coverage, wi-fi, or your net worth. Like you, I'm a big fan of this phone, Verizon too (and I pay for the unlimited data out of my own pocket) but I don't think the jabs at other people's financial concerns or legitimate differences of opinion help our case.

    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    as for right now, those who don't try and use their Treo 700's as laptop replacements are probably enjoying their phone right out of the box. if a RAM upgrade became available I'd probably spend happily for it, but it's not something i need at this very moment.
    This is what's relevant. I agree, it's a great phone and it works pretty well out of the box. But I don't listen to music, I don't surf the web, and I only run about two third-party apps (Pocket Informant; TrafficEdge) and I have to soft reset at least once a day to get memory back after performance really starts to drag. Why would you even spend a dime on a RAM upgrade if the phone is so perfect now?
  4. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    fortunately i can both afford the VZ coverage/data/EVDO (but is paid by my employer nonetheless) and don't see a need for wi-fi. as for right now, those who don't try and use their Treo 700's as laptop replacements are probably enjoying their phone right out of the box. if a RAM upgrade became available I'd probably spend happily for it, but it's not something i need at this very moment. seems like those who don't want or can't afford Verizon's data/EVDO offering are those who continuously like to put them down....getting old. want wi-fi? get a wi-fi device. want inexpensive data? get inexpensive data. want sprint or cingular or t-mobile? then sign up with them!
    The truth is that the 700w may be a good choice for some but it is not a versatile phone in that it can help you prevent carriers like Verizon from raping you with data charges. After feeling that pain for a year I will never get a non-WiFi equipped device.

    I'm very happy for you that you can throw away $600 per year. At that rate you could have had both the 700w and any other phone you want to tickle your fanny. The fact is that the WiFi alternative is HUGE even though it is not for you.

    Second, the fact that you are willing to blow yet another $150 on a simple RAM upgrade then puts the cost of your phone to a whopping $750 MORE than if you had purchased any other phone with WiFi access and an option to tell Verizon to go #$@#$ itself. At that rate you could practically have had TWO 700w phones or used that money to get the 750w for "free" whenever it comes out a year later. Either way, if you want WiFi you lose the ability to have any storage on the 700w so I lose the MP3 player ability, storage and backup and applications on the card. Plus, it will cost me $100 for the WiFi card. No matter which way you cut it, it's not pretty and many of us don't care to just throw money at a phone because we feel its one of our children.

    $50 a month (with taxes) for Verizon's data offering is rapacious. It's not a question of affording it or not but that cost would be ZERO with WiFi or would be a Sprint-like $10-15/mo.

    Now some of us don't have a choice with regard to coverage. It's either a 2 year prior commitment or we have to get it due to coverage in certain areas. The fact is that if you don't have WiFi access, you are slave to that carriers Internet data fees. And I am far from the only one "whining" about the fact that Verizon sticks me with a $50 per month cost for Internet access AND THAT IS FOR THE SLOW @#$%.

    While the number portability act helped us move from one carrier to another, the carriers have done other things to shove it right back down the consumer's throat. Have a Verizon phone? Sorry, you will not be allowed to turn it on via the Sprint network and must buy a new phone. Why? Want to get access? Please sign at least a one year contract commitment.

    I don't want to go on with the diatribe but this is old news and not whining. Some of us aren't happy paying for what WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR. For the $600 I had to pay for NON EVDO access I could have bought a new phone. But Verizon has the power to tell us to screw ourselves. I'm hoping that someday the consumer can do the same to Verizon when we get our opportunity. I know I will the moment I can make the switch... and I'll get a phone that will help me keep the carriers in their place...
  5. #5  
    @slinky - are you telling us that you are really sick of VZW?

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    For the $600 I had to pay for NON EVDO access I could have bought a new phone.
    I paid the $45/month (minus company discounts) for non-EVDO for about 1 year and didn't like it one bit. Non-EVDO costs should be much lower, IMO.

    BTW - the word "rape" is properly used (definition #3), but there are better fitting words.
    1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
    2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
    3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.
    We've moved WAY off topic so let's come back...

    I'd be willing to pay the $150 upgrade only because the 700w is the first Smartphone which closely meets all of my needs. The next closest is the Treo 650 -- if the timezone problem is confirmed to be resolved.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    This thread has nothing to do with the cost of Verizon's data coverage, wi-fi, or your net worth. Like you, I'm a big fan of this phone, Verizon too (and I pay for the unlimited data out of my own pocket) but I don't think the jabs at other people's financial concerns or legitimate differences of opinion help our case.


    This is what's relevant. I agree, it's a great phone and it works pretty well out of the box. But I don't listen to music, I don't surf the web, and I only run about two third-party apps (Pocket Informant; TrafficEdge) and I have to soft reset at least once a day to get memory back after performance really starts to drag. Why would you even spend a dime on a RAM upgrade if the phone is so perfect now?
    sure it does, the cost of data coverage is what people like Lady Treo (funny) continue to poke fun at, amongst a host of others. apparently it's only ok that you subscribe to Verizon's data network if you were "born a minute ago" or "have rocks in your head" to quote a few. as for the RAM? the device works today. if one can afford additional RAM regardless of their needs, then so be it. lets call it comforting or re-assuring.

    regards
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The truth is that the 700w may be a good choice for some but it is not a versatile phone in that it can help you prevent carriers like Verizon from raping you with data charges. After feeling that pain for a year I will never get a non-WiFi equipped device.

    I'm very happy for you that you can throw away $600 per year. At that rate you could have had both the 700w and any other phone you want to tickle your fanny. The fact is that the WiFi alternative is HUGE even though it is not for you.

    Second, the fact that you are willing to blow yet another $150 on a simple RAM upgrade then puts the cost of your phone to a whopping $750 MORE than if you had purchased any other phone with WiFi access and an option to tell Verizon to go #$@#$ itself. At that rate you could practically have had TWO 700w phones or used that money to get the 750w for "free" whenever it comes out a year later. Either way, if you want WiFi you lose the ability to have any storage on the 700w so I lose the MP3 player ability, storage and backup and applications on the card. Plus, it will cost me $100 for the WiFi card. No matter which way you cut it, it's not pretty and many of us don't care to just throw money at a phone because we feel its one of our children.

    $50 a month (with taxes) for Verizon's data offering is rapacious. It's not a question of affording it or not but that cost would be ZERO with WiFi or would be a Sprint-like $10-15/mo.

    Now some of us don't have a choice with regard to coverage. It's either a 2 year prior commitment or we have to get it due to coverage in certain areas. The fact is that if you don't have WiFi access, you are slave to that carriers Internet data fees. And I am far from the only one "whining" about the fact that Verizon sticks me with a $50 per month cost for Internet access AND THAT IS FOR THE SLOW @#$%.

    While the number portability act helped us move from one carrier to another, the carriers have done other things to shove it right back down the consumer's throat. Have a Verizon phone? Sorry, you will not be allowed to turn it on via the Sprint network and must buy a new phone. Why? Want to get access? Please sign at least a one year contract commitment.

    I don't want to go on with the diatribe but this is old news and not whining. Some of us aren't happy paying for what WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR. For the $600 I had to pay for NON EVDO access I could have bought a new phone. But Verizon has the power to tell us to screw ourselves. I'm hoping that someday the consumer can do the same to Verizon when we get our opportunity. I know I will the moment I can make the switch... and I'll get a phone that will help me keep the carriers in their place...
    "raping you" you are hysterical. hey, don't pay for Verizon, no one asked you to. don't let them rape you! pay for whomever you want to provide you with phone/data coverage. verizon for those who want the best and can afford such and who don't cry about not having wi-fi. wi-fi!! so funny!

    for all you memory freaks: kiss my grits! i'm not sure why your so upset given our "losses." have fun with your devices and we'll have fun with ours! they work out of the box for all of us "non-power users" who most likely could never get close to doing real work on any of these devices. but then again, some of us don't need to use maps to get our work done.
  8. #8  
    <OT posts split from original thread>
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Posting Permissions