Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just confirmed some EVDO information with a high ranking Sprint Corp contact. He did confirmed that Sprint has made the decision to offer EVDO to all cell phone covered areas (with some few exceptions in rural areas)....with a vast majority of them even being offered as soon as July this year. It is anticipated to far exceed the VZ coverage.

He said that Rev A will be live this year too. Since you need hardware in your phone to take advantage of RevA, Sprint almost skipped this first phase of EVDO, but fell to pressure from VZ EVDO network availability and other outside forces to offer EVDO prior to RevA release.
    If this turns out to be true - I am so switching to Sprint!
    This is welcomed news. Good reporting.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    So any additional word on updating the 6600?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

5.    #5  
    Yup....he confirmed an EVDO upgrade for the PPC-6600 will be coming in Feb.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Since you need hardware in your phone to take advantage of RevA, Sprint almost skipped this first phase of EVDO, but fell to pressure from VZ EVDO network availability and other outside forces to offer EVDO prior to RevA release.
    Really? Are you (is he) sure Release A would require different hardware on the phones...? My understanding was that this is just a software/card upgrade at the cell site.
  7.    #7  
    Yes...You can still use the EVDO network, but without the extra RevA benefits.
    I just confirmed some EVDO information with a high ranking Sprint Corp contact. He did confirmed that Sprint has made the decision to offer EVDO to all cell phone covered areas (with some few exceptions in rural areas)....with a vast majority of them even being offered as soon as July this year. It is anticipated to far exceed the VZ coverage.

He said that Rev A will be live this year too. Since you need hardware in your phone to take advantage of RevA, Sprint almost skipped this first phase of EVDO, but fell to pressure from VZ EVDO network availability and other outside forces to offer EVDO prior to RevA release.
    Damn. I almost want to cry....
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Regarding RevA (Just looked it up on Qualcomm's site) - any idea if the current Sprint EVDO PCMCIA cards will support it? They are running the 60 bucks a month all you can eat w/ a free card promo now, and I'm really considering it... (http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...CC_Start9-2%3E)

It's a Sierra Wireless card or Novatel Wireless and neither makes reference to RevA on their site. Anyone?
    Nope. Current cards won't work with Rev. A
    So what does Rev. A bring to the table? ....I heard Q chat.. DC replacement.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Rev. A increases max downlink from 2.5mb/s to 3.1mb/s, and max uplink from .15mb/s to 1.8mb/s. It also supports VoIP and Video Telephony.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Does the Treo 700w hardware support Rev. A? Will the 700p?
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard
    Does the Treo 700w hardware support Rev. A? Will the 700p?
    Nope and nope but I do love surprises.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    Nope. Current cards won't work with Rev. A
    Why wouldn't my only a few months old Merlin S620 EVDO card work with Rev. A ? It seems a call is in order to Sprint to get an explanation but what reasoning would there be for not being Rev. A compatible ?

-------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO Sprint
    Treo 650 Sprint
    1.12 still rocks !
    Why manufacture devices for technology that doesn't exist???
  17.    #17  
    It looks like things are still going as planned in my original post. I just found this over at PDAphoneHome and thought many here would be very interested:

Sprint EVDO Rev A Upgrade Plans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sprint Nextel Details Plans for 3G Upgrade
    Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service
    Fri Mar 31, 9:00 AM ET

Sprint Nextel plans to upgrade its Sprint Power Vision mobile broadband network for much higher upload speeds to become available in the first quarter of 2007, with a PC Card client that supports the new technology on sale in the third quarter of this year.

The Sprint Power Vision network uses a 3G (third-generation) technology called EvDO (Evolution-Data Optimized) and covers more than 150 million people in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, according to the company. The network will expand to cover an estimated 190 million people by the end of this year, Sprint Nextel said this week.

Meanwhile, the carrier plans to start upgrading the network to EvDO Revision A, which will fatten the pipe upstream from a subscriber's device to the network. The overlay technology will help subscribers use applications such as video telephony, video messaging, high-performance push-to-talk conversations, and uploading of large files such as presentations, Sprint Nextel said.

At the CTIA Wireless trade show in Las Vegas next week, Sprint Nextel and partners Nortel Networks, Novatel Wireless, and Sierra Wireless will demonstrate a PC Card that supports both the current network technology and Revision A. Sprint plans to start selling cards compatible with Revision A in the third quarter of this year.

Upstream speeds should increase to between 300 kilobits per second and 400 kbps from a current range of 70 kbps to 144 kbps, the company said. Downstream speeds are likely to show a more modest increase to 450-800 kbps from the current 400-700 kbps. The peak rate, now 2 mbps, will rise as high as 3.1 mbps, according to Sprint Nextel.

In the first quarter of next year, EvDO Revision A will reach about 214 million people, Sprint Nextel said. By the end of the third quarter of 2007, the overlay will be rolled out across the whole Sprint Power Vision network and will reach about 220 million people.

Sprint Nextel's other network, operated under the Nextel brand, is based on a different technology called iDEN, which doesn't have a 3G component, said Sprint Nextel spokesman John Polivka. It will remain separate from the Sprint network for the foreseeable future, he said.

Similar Plans

The other major mobile operators in the U.S. also are gearing up to capture the market for 3G services and the higher revenue it can bring.

Verizon Wireless reaches more than 150 million people around the country with its EvDO network, according to spokesman Jeffrey Nelson. Verizon also plans to roll out EvDO Revision A, Nelson said, but he would not give a target date for rollout.

Cingular Wireless, a joint venture of AT&T and BellSouth, said last month it was using UMTS HSDPA (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System High Speed Downlink Packet Access) in 16 major metropolitan areas and would expand that coverage to most major U.S. metropolitan areas this year.

Although U.S. mobile users have been slower than their European counterparts to adopt some data services, the country's mobile data market is potentially huge and attracting interest from vendors worldwide, according to Mark Donovan, senior vice president and senior analyst at M:Metrics, in Seattle. For example, in the U.S. in January, only 3.3 percent of mobile users downloaded a game, a lower percentage than in the U.K. and Germany. However, that percentage added up to about 6 million users, according to Donovan.
    Check out evdoforums.com where there is lots of info on EVDO.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery

Sprint was planning to launch EVDO before Verizon, but they were in the process of aquiring Nextel which cost Billions, and Verizon exploited this oportunity and launched first. Sprint also not too long ago just bought out the remainder of Nextel's partners too, which slowed any progress up. Sprint has been spending the money and real busy, which gave Verizon time to try to top them, especially with the exclusive on the 700w. Sprint isn't stupid, and they are on their way to handling business and giving their customers the best again crumbling Verizon's 15 seconds of fame. As you can see, I am a Sprint lover. I was with Verizon...the plans and what they had to offer compared to my Sprint plan which offers so much more for any equivelant plan of the two makes sprint better, and Sprint built their network from the ground up all fiber optic digital network, unlike Verizons mixed up old technology and new network that is a compulation of the three cellular companies Verizon is made up of, while Sprint is its own powerhouse. The combination of all of those towers are what gives Verizon their only marketing ground " Can you hear me now." And that is why when I was verizon, I was always in analog in the boonies frying my brain with heavy analog signals. Due to sprints network being built new from the ground up at start, that is why they had a drop call problem in the past, but the network is getting better and is awesome where I live and dropped calls are becoming memories of the past now and its all digital.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast