Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I just switched from Sprint to Verizon. I have several thousand contacts in my Treo, most pre-dating when Philly decided to become a "must dial area code before number" so most of my contacts do not have an area code assigned.

    my Sprint Treo(s) had a fantastic "dial preference" that said "when dialing add XXX area code to seven digit numbers".

    I called Verizon and Palm and apparently Verizon decided not to utilize that preference.

    Is there a software out there that will do this for me? the alternative is hours of boring data input.... and I kinda liked being about to dial only seven numbers.... thanks for any help!
  2. #2  
    You could export your contacts on the desktop to a spreadsheet and use a formula to transform the data and then reimport it and hot sync. It's not eligant, but it should work pretty easily.

    LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

    (R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  3. #3  
    You might want to contact the author of Takephone and suggest it as a feature in one of his apps....might be a nice add on to 2Dial for example.
  4. #4  
    Hi,

    I think TAKEphONE already has this - in "Telephony" preferences - "North american dialing" option.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  5. #5  
    This feature is in Takephone but it doesn't work for us (wife & I). We have "North American dialing" checked and a check in "When dialing, add this..." with our area code. When we travel out of our local area code we have to go in an edit the phone numbers to add area code. Slowly we're almost to the point of having them all added.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    This feature is in Takephone but it doesn't work for us (wife & I). We have "North American dialing" checked and a check in "When dialing, add this..." with our area code. When we travel out of our local area code we have to go in an edit the phone numbers to add area code. Slowly we're almost to the point of having them all added.
    Hi,

    Never thought about the combination - handling 7 digit numbers, AND roaming...

    Maybe I should add the "Add XXXXX to 7 digit numbers" option to the other translation mechanism...

    But - wait - why cant you just change the setting ?
    In stead of adding "212", add "1-212"

    Wouldnt that work ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  7. #7  
    I'm with Verizon and they don't require dialing a "1" when roaming. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter where I am, it never adds the area code when dialing.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    I'm with Verizon and they don't require dialing a "1" when roaming. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter where I am, it never adds the area code when dialing.
    With TAKEPhONE ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  9. #9  
    Yes, i have 6.50 Build 034. Maybe you could confirm the correct settings to make sure it dials the area code and I'll verify I set it up correctly.
  10. #10  
    verizon treo 600 has "dial preferences" . In the phone app, select menu>options>dial preferences

    Also, vzw does not require user to dial area code if dialing within your own area code
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    Yes, i have 6.50 Build 034. Maybe you could confirm the correct settings to make sure it dials the area code and I'll verify I set it up correctly.
    Can you give me an example of how a number is stored in your address-book, and how you need it to be dialed ?

    Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  12. #12  
    Phone numbers within my area code are stored as xxx-xxxx. I thought Takephone could be set to add 805 area code so when I travel I can still call these numbers.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    Phone numbers within my area code are stored as xxx-xxxx. I thought Takephone could be set to add 805 area code so when I travel I can still call these numbers.
    Hi,

    This is very strange - just did this:

    Using TAKEphONE 6.50 (built 105).
    In "Telephony" preferences page, checked "North american dialing" ON, tapped
    "Config" besides it, and set it:
    1. Checked ON - "When dialing, add this area code to 7 digit numbers:" - "805" in edit field.
    2. Now I created a contact with a phone field "212-3344".
    3. When I try to call it - it calls "8052123344"
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by trragtops
    verizon treo 600 has "dial preferences" . In the phone app, select menu>options>dial preferences. Also, vzw does not require user to dial area code if dialing within your own area code
    In Philly (& every big city I think) you need to dial an area code even within your area code, and for Verizon Treo 650s, there are no "dial preferences". Palm and Verizon tell me that Verizon decided not to include that - no idea why.

    TakePhone - I'll buy your software if you're confident it solves my problem. are you? you mentioned before that you "think" it does....
  15. #15  
    And mine doesn't add the 805, BUT I was just thinking...I also have CityID Log installed which apparently does some stuff capturing area code and prefix. Not sure if this could be an issue.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by visorhawk
    In Philly (& every big city I think) you need to dial an area code even within your area code, and for Verizon Treo 650s, there are no "dial preferences". Palm and Verizon tell me that Verizon decided not to include that - no idea why.

    TakePhone - I'll buy your software if you're confident it solves my problem. are you? you mentioned before that you "think" it does....
    Hi,
    It should - if you set it up as I describe above.
    Would you please try it ?
    You can get a 30 days full featured trial for free at www.shsh.com/products
    (or www.shsh.com/beta for the latest pre-release).

    Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    And mine doesn't add the 805, BUT I was just thinking...I also have CityID Log installed which apparently does some stuff capturing area code and prefix. Not sure if this could be an issue.
    Hi,

    Can you make sure you set it up as I explained above ?

    Also - would you try disabling CityID to test ?

    Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  18. #18  
    I use CityID and TakePHone, and it works for me.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  19. #19  
    I can confirm I have it setup as you describe. I looked at disabling CityID but there is no "disable" option. It looks like uninstall is the only choice, but I'd rather not if there is another option.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    I can confirm I have it setup as you describe. I looked at disabling CityID but there is no "disable" option. It looks like uninstall is the only choice, but I'd rather not if there is another option.
    OK. Leave CityID alone.
    Would you run a test build I will send you ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions