Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've been a verizon customer for years, always using the "minutes as data" plan (paying for data out of current airtime minutes, but no other data charges). Several months ago, I got a call from verizon (along with many on this board) where they tried to insist I choose a data plan. I refused, stating that was not in our contract, and after 20 minutes of back and forth, they let it go. Things have been fine since then.

Suddenly on my last bill, there is an extra charge of about $35 for data at the per kilobyte rate. I will call tomorrow, but I suppose I'm probably finally stuck not being allowed to simply use minutes. Just doesn't seem right in the middle of a 2 year contract....

This bill included about 2.5 megs of data, so I guess I'd go with the 10 meg plan for 29.99. Any other thoughts on this. Anyone else still using just minutes for data?
    I'm on unlimited plan because I actually use it, but I'd stand firm if I were you. Unless they've sent you notice in writing and you've agreed, they can't change the terms of your original contract. Depending what state you live in this is particularly stringent. In Maryland for example, they must have a signed (not faxed) copy of any changes for it to be in effect.
    If you haven't signed up for a data plan then you're on the per KB use by default. If you have Roadrunner there's a method for using minutes only, but it's at a dialup speed (MUCH slower than the data speed you've been getting). I also believe there's other workarounds if you don't have RR, but you'll have to do a search on "MOU" to find them. Goodluck.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    So... here's the follow up. I called yesterday and reached a rep on insisted that the MOU plan was not part of the "contract", and that I must pay for data separately. I asked to speak with a supervisor, and she said someone would call me within 24 hours, but they don't have supervisors who take calls.

And as happened when this issue came up several months ago, no supervisor has called back. So I called again, spoke with a different rep, who immediately credited back the data charge and has supposedly fixed it so I'm back to just using minutes for data. Geesh... as many others have experienced, just need to call back if you get someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I really do wish the unlimited data plans were more reasonably priced, but $45/month is just too much for fairly limited use.... I suspect at some point my "luck" will run out, but good for now...
    I'm a Cingular customer, but I looked up their Terms of Service and it says they can make any changes to terms, rates, or fees anytime, but they will notify 1 billing cycle in advance through bill statement or text message and I can cancel without penalty during this time. I'm sure it is similar with other carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voices Carry
    I'm a Cingular customer, but I looked up their Terms of Service and it says they can make any changes to terms, rates, or fees anytime, but they will notify 1 billing cycle in advance through bill statement or text message and I can cancel without penalty during this time. I'm sure it is similar with other carriers.
    That would be similar to the $.40 increase that Verizon did that people had until 10/31/2005 to cancel over.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  7. jkk
    I have had the exact same problem. Both my wife and I have Treos, and we were both using data over our minutes, as we don't use much. At the most we use it to check our email.

My wife's Treo broke and we sent it in for service. When we got it back and got the next bill, we were shocked to see a new data plan for $29.99 automatically added to our bill when we re-enabled the phone. I called and cancelled the data plan and said I wanted to use my minutes. The rep said that it was fine.

My wife's phone suddenly could no longer pull her email (we use Snappermail), which is the WHOLE reason we got the Treos. Today I called a friend who works in Verizon to find out why she couldn't use her minutes for data. He said that they are now requiring you to pick a data plan, and you can no longer use your minutes. You can do pay as you go for minutes, but it's some kind of crazy charge - like $15 for 1mb. I guess that even though I am using my minutes, I'm not supposed to be, and he's not sure if they're going to shut us down or what.

My guess is that Verizon took some heat over trying to shut off people using minutes for data, and so now they're just slowly screwing people as they call in to change one portion or another of their service.

If they think I'm going to pay $29.99/month for 10mb, they're out of their minds. My wife has received bills recently of $200+!

Doesn't Sprint give free data with their phones? I'm at the point where I would switch, even though the call quality is not great in my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkk
    I have had the exact same problem. Both my wife and I have Treos, and we were both using data over our minutes, as we don't use much. At the most we use it to check our email.

My wife's Treo broke and we sent it in for service. When we got it back and got the next bill, we were shocked to see a new data plan for $29.99 automatically added to our bill when we re-enabled the phone. I called and cancelled the data plan and said I wanted to use my minutes. The rep said that it was fine.

My wife's phone suddenly could no longer pull her email (we use Snappermail), which is the WHOLE reason we got the Treos. Today I called a friend who works in Verizon to find out why she couldn't use her minutes for data. He said that they are now requiring you to pick a data plan, and you can no longer use your minutes. You can do pay as you go for minutes, but it's some kind of crazy charge - like $15 for 1mb. I guess that even though I am using my minutes, I'm not supposed to be, and he's not sure if they're going to shut us down or what.

My guess is that Verizon took some heat over trying to shut off people using minutes for data, and so now they're just slowly screwing people as they call in to change one portion or another of their service.

If they think I'm going to pay $29.99/month for 10mb, they're out of their minds. My wife has received bills recently of $200+!

Doesn't Sprint give free data with their phones? I'm at the point where I would switch, even though the call quality is not great in my area.
    Sprints data is not free but I believe it's the cheapest for unlimited plans. And my experience witht their service is good.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jkk

I've been on and off of Sprint for the past 6 years and rarely got hit with hidden charges. If there is a change in how they charge for service, I would at least get a letter from them ahead of time. I've been charged the same 15 bucks a month since I've signed up for vision about 3 years ago and it has been an all-you-can-eat buffet.
  10. jkk
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I've been on and off of Sprint for the past 6 years and rarely got hit with hidden charges. If there is a change in how they charge for service, I would at least get a letter from them ahead of time. I've been charged the same 15 bucks a month since I've signed up for vision about 3 years ago and it has been an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    I thought I heard that they gave free or cheap service. Either way, it's a lot cheaper than Verizon...after all, data transmission is such a new technology that it's *so* wildly expensive...

-jkk
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    If you get a Sprint business plan all Vision services are included and unlimited. I also go to add my Wife's phone for free.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Depends on the plan. I'm on a business account, and pay $10 a month for unlimited Vision. What JKK may have heard is that Sprint generally gives one to two months free vision with a new account or line. After that it's $15 / month unlimited including picture mail, $10 without picture mail. (Those are current rates--plans change all the time, but I've never seen basic unlimited Vision cost more than $15 per month.) Text messaging plans are extra, and there are other add-ons if you want, but the basic service is dirt cheap.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Further follow up! I did get a call from a Verizon supervisor (but wasn't in, so she left a voicemail). She said that she I MUST be on a dataplan. She also knew that another rep had told me it was fine to use minutes and had put me back on that, but that he was incorrect in doing so. So... I am NOT at all interested in being concerned about how many mb of data I'm using. My options, thus, appear to be a) start paying $45/month for data or b) switch to Sprint (whose data plan is about 1/3 the cost).
  14. jkk
    You can actually follow these directions - and it works great (although a little slow). I set my wife up with it this weekend:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=99512

I wouldn't recommend it for a lot of data, but for the amount of data that we actually use, it works out well.

-jkk
    I have ( and have had for several yrs) Mobile Web for about $5 per mo. no issues w/ forced vzw data plan - I just use my mins
    I have Verizon and I have their 20 MB for $20 plan. The don't list it or even acknowledge it unless you ask for it. I found out about from a forum, I just can't remember which one. You can add it to your existing voice plan. The plan no. is 67108, at least it is in the Philly, PA area. I don't know if the plan number differs in other areas. It is the best option if you only have limited usage.
    I really ticks me off too that I have pay extra for data. I used use my voice plan minutes with my old Motorola V710, granted it can't do what the Treo can, but it worked. It seems like Verizon and most big businesses today just want to squeeze every last drop out of "customers/wallets".
    I would suggest that since they are changing thterms of the contract under which you bought the Treo(s), to tell the rep that you would like to return the Treos and purchase them from one of the other carriers.

I wonder how the market will "shake up" as SPrint rolls out EVDO and the GSM carriers add HDSPA. Used to be a "ya got what ya paid for" heirarchy. Sprint was cheapest at $15, Cingular had a speed advantage on large files with EDGE so they were able to charge a little more at $20 and Verizon had the fastest so they were able to get away with $45.

It seems Verizon is going thru all this customer wrangling to pay for its EVDO rollout.....can Sprint afford not to do the same ? How will GSM providers pass the costs on for HDSPA ?
    Are you using Mobile Web with a Treo? The Verizon people are telling me that Mobile Web is not an option on the Treo. I use it now with my current phone, but want to upgrade to the Treo 700. I've also been told that there is a hack for using Vcast on the 700 as well, but I'm having no luck finding any hacks for connectivity without having to pay outrageous rates for their data plans.