1.    #1  
    I recently received a treo 650 second hand from a relative who had it from a job and kept it after being laid off because of a merger. Although the old phone number and email doesn't function, Verizon was unable to activate my phone number on the Treo because the previous company didn't deactivate (?) their service. Short of contacting the company (which I am doing anyway), is there a way to forcibly deactivate whatever hold is on the device so I can activate it with my number?
    Thanks for your help
    They probably have a hold on the ESN, not the number. So, if that's the case, maybe get someone to change the ESN from Verizon, but other than that you are SOL I think.
    PHONES:

Business: Handspring Treo 650
    Personal: Motorola RAZR V3c
    Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what ESN stands for?
    Last edited by drbreakfast; 12/29/2005 at 10:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drbreakfast
    Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what ESN stands for?
    Electronic Serial Number is a unique number assigned to the phone by the phone manufacturer. No two phones have the same ESN.
    You can also try to purchase a damaged Treo on eBay and use the parts from your good treo to rebuild the other treo. Or you can sell the treo for parts
    Pdaparts.com has good instruction for disassembly
    Just check wiht the carrier to make sure the the new treo's ESN is clear before purchasing
    hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by trragtops
    You can also try to purchase a damaged Treo on eBay and use the parts from your good treo to rebuild the other treo. Or you can sell the treo for parts
    Pdaparts.com has good instruction for disassembly
    Just check wiht the carrier to make sure the the new treo's ESN is clear before purchasing
    hope this helps
    That's true, but if the guy is stumped by an ESN, that may not be feasable.