1.    #1  
    Hi,

I believe that these questions might have been answered before, but I searched and couldn't find the exact answers I need. I really want to verify a few things before I go ahead and order my Treo 650 with service from Sprint.
    I intend to get a plan with Vision and it says that it includes unlimited instant messaging. It seems that there is now software built in to the Treo 650 for AIM, etc. Is this correct? If so, does this built in software use the data connection or SMS?
    Basically, I need to verify that there is a way for me to use unlimited instant messaging through the data plan and not SMS. Would I be better off going with some third party software that has instant messaging through data?
    Finally, I thought I read that having IM connected through data means that you can't get phone calls at the same time. Is it true that when you're using Vision (data), you can't get calls at all?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Cindy
    Last edited by CindyBee; 12/19/2005 at 08:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    My Vision plan includes unlimited SMS. I don't know about the other data im client. Sounds cool, though.
  3.    #3  
    Does anyone else have any insight about this? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hi CindyBee, what I have on my Sprint T650 is not really AIM software but rather access to mobile AIM on the web. You go to the website, login with any AIM id that you have, and you're off and running. I've used it a few times and it does get the job done, but it sure isn't anything fancy. It is slow, not very user friendly IMO, limits the number of buddys in your buddy list (25 max I think), and seems just plain cumbersome to use as compared to AIM on your desktop or the other IM products that you can buy for your Treo. On the plus side, it is via the web, so there's no SMS involved, just data.

Not sure about receiving calls question, I haven't tried that yet.

Hope that helps.
    I have unlimited everything... but, I have set up my aim via aim.com so that all the ims when im not at my computer are forwarded to my treo and then I can respond thru sms.
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by wackochrisoidun
    I have unlimited everything... but, I have set up my aim via aim.com so that all the ims when im not at my computer are forwarded to my treo and then I can respond thru sms.
    I also set my desktop aim to 'forward to mobile' when I leave home (and remember to do so). I like using SMS to respond better than using the web interface. However, I have yet to figure out how to initiate the conversation using sms->aim, and I don't think it is possible...too bad.
    if im not mistaken i think i remember someone sayin that somebody could send a message to your treo from aim to your sms and then the reply address would be saved in the chat (you can only chat with them if you save the chat thread.)
    IIRC
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    ok...i did a little testing and confirmed some things i already knew and discovered a couple things i didn't know:

(this is on the sprint network)

1- an aim user can send an sms message to you on your treo in 2 ways:
    a. they can add your mobile number to their buddy list and send directly
    to that number.
    b. if you setup forwarding on your regular aim ID, you can have aim
    forward your ims to your treo; the sender just sends to your aim id
    as always.

2- when you receive your im on your treo as an SMS message, the sender is
    identified by a 6 digit number; INTERESTINGLY, this 6 digit number seems
    to be consistent across multiple aim sessions (i logged on/off sending
    messages 4-5 times).

3- you can reply to the SMS and the aim user gets the message in their aim
    session; it looks just like a normal aim conversation.

4- you can initiate the conversation from your treo as long as you know the
    6 digit number to identify the aim user...you just put that number in the
    'TO' field when composing a new SMS. (which means they have to send at
    least one message to your treo first, so you can find out that ID number)

5- if you use that magic number to send an SMS/aim to someone, you get an
    SMS auto-reply notification after a minute or two if they are not signed on
    aim.

The unanswered question is whether or not that 6 digit ID number will forever
    remain the same, or if it will eventually change. I tested from two different
    aim IDs with several logons/logoffs, but all within a 30 minute period...the
    numbers might change tomorrow for all I know.

I'll try to remember to test this again over the next few days to see if the
    numbers continue to remain the same for each aim ID, and post a follow-up
    with the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyBee
    Hi,

I believe that these questions might have been answered before, but I searched and couldn't find the exact answers I need. I really want to verify a few things before I go ahead and order my Treo 650 with service from Sprint.
    I intend to get a plan with Vision and it says that it includes unlimited instant messaging. It seems that there is now software built in to the Treo 650 for AIM, etc. Is this correct? If so, does this built in software use the data connection or SMS?
    Basically, I need to verify that there is a way for me to use unlimited instant messaging through the data plan and not SMS. Would I be better off going with some third party software that has instant messaging through data?
    Finally, I thought I read that having IM connected through data means that you can't get phone calls at the same time. Is it true that when you're using Vision (data), you can't get calls at all?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Cindy
    Causerie releases the new version Causerie 3.1 recently with outstanding features. Try this once.
    Quote Originally Posted by gpco
    ok...i did a little testing and confirmed some things i already knew and discovered a couple things i didn't know:

(this is on the sprint network)

1- an aim user can send an sms message to you on your treo in 2 ways:
    a. they can add your mobile number to their buddy list and send directly
    to that number.
    b. if you setup forwarding on your regular aim ID, you can have aim
    forward your ims to your treo; the sender just sends to your aim id
    as always.

2- when you receive your im on your treo as an SMS message, the sender is
    identified by a 6 digit number; INTERESTINGLY, this 6 digit number seems
    to be consistent across multiple aim sessions (i logged on/off sending
    messages 4-5 times).

3- you can reply to the SMS and the aim user gets the message in their aim
    session; it looks just like a normal aim conversation.

4- you can initiate the conversation from your treo as long as you know the
    6 digit number to identify the aim user...you just put that number in the
    'TO' field when composing a new SMS. (which means they have to send at
    least one message to your treo first, so you can find out that ID number)

5- if you use that magic number to send an SMS/aim to someone, you get an
    SMS auto-reply notification after a minute or two if they are not signed on
    aim.

The unanswered question is whether or not that 6 digit ID number will forever
    remain the same, or if it will eventually change. I tested from two different
    aim IDs with several logons/logoffs, but all within a 30 minute period...the
    numbers might change tomorrow for all I know.

I'll try to remember to test this again over the next few days to see if the
    numbers continue to remain the same for each aim ID, and post a follow-up
    with the results.
    okay so I know this is old but I searched and this is part of my current problem.

I have Sprint. I have the 700p. And I use Yahoo and AIM. My current issues are with AIM.

There are several levels to this and I hope I make sense.

So first I was using AIM through the web browser. I also had IM forwarding set up.

So if someone ON my buddy list sent me an IM I'd get an SMS message with a

Date: _______

AIM: New IM from *buddyusername*
    http://__________________________

and my choices at the bottom were

"Done" "Forward" "Delete"

No reply option. So I have to click the link and go to the web browser and then get the message. Then from there I can reply. Then my SMS beeps again saying I have another IM from same person because they replied. So basically if I have a long IM conversation I get tons of text messages because each IM that person sends me is sent as a single SMS text message.

So I tried verichat. Same thing happens.

BUT... I created a new screen name to test this all out on my own without relying on a friend.

I hadn't added the new screenname yet to my buddy list. And I sent myself an IM from the new screenname to my main screenname. It came up as an SMS text BUT it came from a six digit name this time. NOT a "No Caller ID" and this time I had a choice to reply. And then my Treo opened a chat log now because I replied to it.

But then I added the new screenname to my buddy list. I sent another IM from the new screen name to my main screenname. This time it sent it as it did all the others! With the "No Caller ID" and the link to have to go into the web browser!

So I don't understand. Am I missing something?

I downloaded verichat thinking it would solve this and it didn't. The same thing happens and the only way for me to read that first message sent to me by someone in my buddylist is to open it through the web browser...then I'd have to go back to verichat, open a window for that buddy, reply to him, and then get the messages there but only if I leave it open!

Guys... what am I doing wrong? This can't be the right way to do it, is it? It's too complicated!

Also, if you need further explaining from me go ahead and ask me cause I really really want this solved. I want to IM on my phone without issues!
    WAIT! I think I figured something out. I went back into my web browser and added the new screenname back to my buddylist and then signed off from AIM on the web browser.

Then I sent another IM from the new screenname to my main screenname and it came back with the six digit IM from the new screenname!! And I could reply to it.

I still have to test this out further and I can't right now because I'm at work but I'll post what I discovered. Oh, and I'm an *****. *rolls eyes*