1.    #1  
    OK, this may have been posted somewhere, but I did not find it in a search. Here is my question:

Has sprint started monitoring our use of our treo 650 DUN usage? I talked to a tech last night that told me, "You can do that (Dial up internet via treo 650). Yes, but it's not supported by sprint tech support. Furthermore, if you get caught you can receive some very large bills." I have used this many times, but not so much in the past 6 months. Have they started monitoring our DUN usage more heavily?

Another question... since the Tech did a good job flustering me about my DUN usage, I considered simply buying the connection card (free for right now) and setting up an EVDO data plan. (59.99 unlimited at the moment) I then threw it back at him asking why I would spend that kind of money for something I already have for free (because EVDO is not available in my area so I would only connect at vision speeds anyway) and he went back to the "But if you get caught..." crap.

If I have the unlimited vision added on to my treo phone line account, why would I be worried about getting caught? He kinda shrugged that off and I hung up. So, I'm just wondering if something has transpired since my last heavy use of DUN that has made it more likely to get charged out the wazzzu?

Thanks in advance and sorry for not being more eloquent in my writing. It's early and I'm on my way to work.
    Last edited by GMSchiller; 12/09/2005 at 10:02 AM.
    You're right...this has been discussed before...but not resolved. According to Sprint, "unlimited" means "use as much as you want, but only on the (untethered) device that is activated on your account." Some here at TC feel that Sprint has the right to limit the use of "unlimited" vision this way, while others feel that "unlimited" should literally mean unlimited...no limits at all. At this point there is little doubt that just about everyone understands Sprint's intent, which is unlimited vision access on an untethered phone (for $10-$15-$20). Whether you choose to ignore this intent seems to be a personal choice...one that sparks a lot of heated discussion and finger-pointing. There only seems to have been a very few cases of Sprint actually trying to enforce their "untethered" requirement on heavy Vision users so far, so enforcement of the rules does not seem to be much of a deterrent these days.
    Since they included DUN with the last Sprint update, I assume more people are using that feature. Also, since it is included, the implication is that Sprint supports the Treo being used in that fashion. Regardless, I haven't seen a post here in a real long time about Sprint contacting anyone about overuse. Of those that were contacted, I don't think anything came of it.
    MarkY, congratulations on your 1000th post! Yes, including Bluetooth DUN on the last ROM update does seem a little funny if they don't want you to tether to a computer, but as far as I know Sprint has not come out and said that tethering to a computer is now ok on a non-data-card account.
  5.    #5  
    Well, here is an update on this post. I just got off of the phone with another rep. I asked the direct question, "if my account truly has unlimited vision, (which he confirmed that mine is and was actually surprised to see I got it for free) and I tether my Treo to my laptop( Pro-star 8794 fully loaded and a bag of crap I might add), am I being in any way unethical? He first complimented me on my choice of phones as he is a Treo 650 owner then told me I was not only justified to use the vision service exactly the way I described, but that it would be silly not to if I had the right equipment. Good enough for me!!!
    Last edited by GMSchiller; 12/09/2005 at 10:39 PM.
    Your discussion strikes near my heart...I would love to do just that. Question is how? Anyone have step by step directions they would like to share? I have the most current TREO patches installed and my notebook (a Compaq Presario V200 CTO, which I love) has built-in bluetooth and wi-fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroyl
    Your discussion strikes near my heart...I would love to do just that. Question is how? Anyone have step by step directions they would like to share? I have the most current TREO patches installed and my notebook (a Compaq Presario V200 CTO, which I love) has built-in bluetooth and wi-fi.
    For starters, try page 75 of the user's guide
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...0sprint_UG.pdf
    Wow...this is not in my manual. I picked up the TREO 650 as soon as I could find one... last year during Thanksgiving weekend. I remember hearing something about DUNN when I patched the OS, but did not pursue it. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.
  9.    #9  
    Caroyl, I'm just checking in. Did you manage to get it to work for you?

Oh, and another update...

My wife's mm-a900 came with a usb tether and instructions to download a sprint Dialer. connects exactly the smae as my treo using PDAnet. Guess that salves the debate over whether or not they truly support it.