Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE Workaround for this Stupid Policy Works!!
    You can read the rest of the saga below, and some other good suggestions and observations, but the idea of deactivating your phone, activating a different phone, and reactivating the 650 to get insurance after being denied b/c its more than 30 days since the phone was initiall activated, WORKS. Take that Sprint!

So, I ve been a loyal sprint customer, like, forever. No late payments, recent 2 year re-committment. 2 days past a month of activating a replacement 650, under warranty, they won't let me activate the e.r.p. for my 650, saying the insurance wont' let them after 30 days since activation.

When I changed lines in 2003, for some reason, the e.r.p. was not carried over to my new line. My wife has it on her 650, on the same account.

Bottom line, Sprint refused to add my phone, even when I threatend to cancel my account. They dont give a ()*&^)(!!!!

Supervisor confirmed my question that I could cancel my line, add a new line and add insurance to this same phone to work around it. The catch is, I have to pay the $150 termination fee. BS!

I am furious. I am paying for it, like they have no ability to influence the company. Almost worth paying the $150 and changing phone numbers vs. the cost of losing a 650.

Anyone have any suggestions on an angle to take that will help me this? Customer Retention Department?

BTW, never realized Sprint deducts minutes from your plan for calls to Voicemail, an allegedly FREE service. Data plan is only reason I am still with these crooks.
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 12/17/2005 at 10:38 PM. Reason: UPDATE Workaround for this Stupid Policy Works!!
    I would call and politely escalate the call to the next highest supervisor until you get the answer you want or a telephone number and name of the person who can help you.

I had to do this one time with an 'over the minutes' issue. Just be polite but firm in what you want.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Here try this...if you have an old sprint phone, do a temporary ESN swap! Swap your phone for a couple days, and then after a short period of time swap your ESN again back to your Treo. When you do, make sure to tell the Sprint CS rep to add the Insurance. The lockline insurance does NOT stipulate that the phone has to be new, just that the insurance must be activated within 30 days of adding the new ESN. I done this with older phones bought off ebay several times...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I did the above and it worked a few months ago.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Set up a speed dial button to dial this:
    11xxxxxxxxxx,**,aaaaaaaaaa,,zzzz
    11 delivers you directly to a persons voice mail.
    x's are someone else's Sprint number (with area code)
    ** will prompt system to allow you to enter your number
    a's are your Sprint number
    z's are your voice mail PIN
    the ',' is a 1 second pause.

Sprint PCS to PCS is free. It's a bit of a hack but it saves me about 300min/mo
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Here try this...if you have an old sprint phone, do a temporary ESN swap! Swap your phone for a couple days, and then after a short period of time swap your ESN again back to your Treo. When you do, make sure to tell the Sprint CS rep to add the Insurance. The lockline insurance does NOT stipulate that the phone has to be new, just that the insurance must be activated within 30 days of adding the new ESN. I done this with older phones bought off ebay several times...
    I believe that's called insurance fraud...
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    Insurance fraud is when you make false representations, not when you follow the rules to get coverage.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    This is kind of funny becuase Sprint just included in my bill I got Sat a flyer to sign up for lockline for $3 a month. Are they including a flyer in everyones bill but you can only buy it if you activated a handest in the last 30 days? I haven't. I was planning to call. I never did at the $5 a month cost, but was going to for $3. I did not notice any 30 day exclusion. They gave this number to call 800 584-3666.

rinkeedink, Try calling them and telling them you want to sign up. If thye say no, Ask them why they offered it to you if you can't have it.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    This is kind of funny becuase Sprint just included in my bill I got Sat a flyer to sign up for lockline for $3 a month. Are they including a flyer in everyones bill but you can only buy it if you activated a handest in the last 30 days? I haven't. I was planning to call. I never did at the $5 a month cost, but was going to for $3. I did not notice any 30 day exclusion. They gave this number to call 800 584-3666.

rinkeedink, Try calling them and telling them you want to sign up. If thye say no, Ask them why they offered it to you if you can't have it.
    MG48;
    I am not sure what lockline is; I dont' think it is the same as the E.R.P. though, and I heard they were raising the cost to $6/month.

Everyone else, thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. I will post my results soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48

Mike,
    Could you post a copy of that flyer here? I get my invoices by email, and don't get to see any flyers.
    Thanks,
    Zane
    Personally, I'm following this thread with some interest because I was never aware of the 30 day rule. I can't remember any more if I signed up for it within the first 30 days of activating my Treo 650.

I don't see why the insurance company would care. Does the auto-insurance company care if you get insurance for a used car?? They just want your business and your money!

All they care about is that you actually have a working phone when you sign up. That's why they do the Call-Back thingy to validate you are registering a working phone.

Anyway, I'm not saying the rule doesn't exist. I just never heard of it, and don't see the business sense of it.

Interesting.
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by wackochrisoidun
    I believe that's called insurance fraud...

Uhh...actually it is NOT!

I would be very careful of accusing people of insurance fraud when you obviously don't know what you're talking about. That is a very serious allegation and you better have the courage and proof to back it buddy!

The truth is that Sprint, Verizon etc have very strict controls on the type of handset they allow on their networks. They both have restricted ESN sets which they allow on their networks. Thus they always know the type of phone and ESN history of the phone on their network. When you try to activate an old phone, Sprint CSR will know that it is a use phone via the ESN, thus there is no way of fooling them unless you do something like ESN cloning which IS illegal!

The stipulations of the ERP which is managed by a company called Lokcline for Sprint only states that the plan must be added within 30 days of activation of the phone. There is nothing that states the phone must be new. The CS at Sprint stores may not add it, but the CSR via phone will add it no problems. In fact, this is the same advice that a Sprint salesperson in Sprint Store HIMSLEF stated to me!!

Anyway, the ERP fee is to increase to $6/month by jan 2006 so it will be getting pricier. But they will also allow now allow instore repair serive for $10 fee while the dedectibley for exchange vai mail will remain the same afaikafaikafaik...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  

The stipulations of the ERP which is managed by a company called Lokcline for Sprint only states that the plan must be added within 30 days of activation of the phone. There is nothing that states the phone must be new. The CS at Sprint stores may not add it, but the CSR via phone will add it no problems. In fact, this is the same advice that a Sprint salesperson in Sprint Store HIMSLEF stated to me!!
    Not to contradict anyone, but, well, the LOSERS at LOCKLINE are in cahoots with the LOSERS at SPRINT! I just called LOCKLINE, the ERP company, [800-584-3666] and they refused to add my phone citing the 30 day policy.

Anyhow, LOCKLINE confirmed that you can insure a used phone as long as its within 30 days of activation and SPRINT checks the phone to make sure its not damaged first. Which means a miserable trip to the dreaded sprint store to deal with yet more sprint imbeciles.

So, looks like its off to EBAY to get a crappy used vision phone and switch it out for my Treo 650 for a few days, and then reactivate the trusty TREO, as suggested in an earlier post in this thread, sorry to lazy to look by whom.

Be sure to tune in for my further misadventures and frustrations.
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink
    Not to contradict anyone, but, well, the LOSERS at LOCKLINE are in cahoots with the LOSERS at SPRINT! I just called LOCKLINE, the ERP company, [800-584-3666] and they refused to add my phone citing the 30 day policy.
    Isn't that what I said? Anyway, you no longer can activate insurance via directly contacting lockline anymore...in fact that hasn't been possible for some time now. The only person that can do that is a Sprint CSR...
    Anyhow, LOCKLINE confirmed that you can insure a used phone as long as its within 30 days of activation and SPRINT checks the phone to make sure its not damaged first. Which means a miserable trip to the dreaded sprint store to deal with yet more sprint imbeciles.

So, looks like its off to EBAY to get a crappy used vision phone and switch it out for my Treo 650 for a few days, and then reactivate the trusty TREO, as suggested in an earlier post in this thread, sorry to lazy to look by whom.

Be sure to tune in for my further misadventures and frustrations.
    Good luck. You can easily find cheap sprint phone for <<$50 bucks online etc...

Hi. When I first got my 650 last mid-April I did not order the insurance at $5 a month. Instead I opted for Sprint's Voice Command (Dial) for $5 a month After I realized I wasn't going to use the
    Voice Command, one day I was out & about with a multitude of dropped calls & other complaints, I called Sprint CS and asked if I could "exchange" the two features - drop Voice Command, and add Insurance. CS said she wasn't authorized but gave me the same number in this thread to ask the Ins. folks-it was up to them. I was clearly past 30 days. I was DENIED.
    I waited about 2 weeks, tried again & was told YES! but that the Ins. wouldn't go into effect until 29- 30 days from New Ins. Activation Date! I find if I'm in a good mood when I call, I'm probably less demanding, more pleasant, and I seem to get more. Sometimes, I think it's a roll of the dice though, but you should definetly just keep trying with a new Cust Service Person...better Luck!
    Which reminds me:
    It is good to be Smart, but it is far better to be Lucky. Hope this helps. Btw, these forums are awesome. Thanks everyone!
    Lyriga *L*l
    TorridTempo
    Hi. When I first got my 650 last mid-April I did not order the insurance at $5 a month. Instead I opted for Sprint's Voice Command (Dial) for $5 a month After I realized I wasn't going to use the
    Voice Command, one day I was out & about with a multitude of dropped calls & other complaints, I called Sprint CS and asked if I could "exchange" the two features - drop Voice Command, and add Insurance. CS said she wasn't authorized but gave me the same number in this thread to ask the Ins. folks-it was up to them. I was clearly past 30 days. I was DENIED.
    I waited about 2 weeks, tried again & was told YES! but that the Ins. wouldn't go into effect until 29- 30 days from New Ins. Activation Date! I find if I'm in a good mood when I call, I'm probably less demanding, more pleasant, and I seem to get more. Sometimes, I think it's a roll of the dice though, but you should definetly just keep trying with a new Cust Service Person...better Luck!
    Which reminds me:
    It is good to be Smart, but it is far better to be Lucky. Hope this helps. Btw, these forums are awesome. Thanks everyone!
    tt, lyrigal *L*
    TorridTempo
  17.    #17  
    Isn't that what I said? .
    Sorry Gfunkmagic, you are correct! I misinterpreted your response.

However,
    sprint customer service refused by phone in the first place. So by my count, that's three ways, over phone with sprint CS [me], in store with Sprint[your post], and calling directly to Lockline[me].

I appreciate the suggestions from others here to try repeated calls to Sprint CS for the luck of the draw, but I'll take the route confirmed by Sprint CS and Lockline; activate a different phone. Then of course, I will reactivate my beloved Treo.

Ebay, here I come!
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Very strange stuff is going on here. I got my activated 1 yr ago 650 covered for the reduced $3 a month fee by calling the lockline number I posted earlier in this thread. Maybe it is area specific or something. I rarely understand anything Sprint does but Ihave a great plan that I haven't changed for over 5 years so I don't ask too many questions. I am on a business plan maybe that is the difference.

Sorry no flyer. I looked for it the when I first post to the Thread but it was gone already. I only had the number in my calendar to call.
    Last edited by mg48; 12/08/2005 at 10:51 AM.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Here is the Flyer
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kathleenlv,
    Thanks for the flyer.
    Zane
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast