Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    That's just the point! What if you DON'T want to pay for the freaking phone subsidy?
    What part of "pre-pay" did you not understand? You know what this is don't you? Or better yet, just switch to Verizon where you can pay full retail on a phone and start a month-to-month contract right out of the gate. Make sure your credit card available balance it sorta high (like in Europe). See? You have lots of choices.
    Or what about if you're in a situation like me where my contract has expired, but Sprint WON'T let me change my plan without first agreeing to a new TWO year agreement?!

Why some people here are soo happy to enslave themselved to indentured servitude to these wireless companies is beyond me...
    To make sure I got this right, you're railing against Sprint, a company you currently have no contractual arrangement with, about how you want them to change their business practices because it infuriates you so much. In the same post, you're criticizing the folks who enjoy and take advantage the free competition benefits in the marketplace - folks not wrapped around the axle in some sort of Don Quixote windmill-tilting contest. Is this where I insert the "rolleyes" emoticon?
    And look - now you can add a fourth option to the mix. Sub-lease your current phone and move on to the next frontier!
    I needed to get a new phone for my wife (she lost her old one). Of course, 2 year commitment to get a subsidy. OK. The Sprint store also gave me a federal employee discount and a plan better suited to me. Did you know that each line has it's own 2-year commitment, but because it's a shared-minutes plan, BOTH my lines now have a 2-year commitment, even though I only got a (cheap) subsidized phone for ONE of the lines. Any change in your service resets your 2-year commitment. So, even though my 2 years for my line would have been up on the 29th of this month, I now have an additional 2 year lock-in on MY line. That's lame. And to top it all off, you've got the $36 "activation" charge that further reduces the discount/subsidy.

I think the T-Mobile prepaid plans are great if they have decent coverage in your area. If all you need is a cheap voice plan and some WAP browsing, get an unlocked phone on eBay for $30, a SIM card for $15 (call T-Mobile to change the SIM's number to a local area code), and then add minutes when you need it. Plus you can now use the phone worldwide (OK, except some parts of Asia) with a local SIM you buy at the local grocery.

I've had Sprint for, what, over 10 years now, and will likely remain because of the coverage and feature-set of CDMA. However, I think it stinks to flip you into another 2-year lock in for making almost any change to your account or any lines on the account.

Also, the rise of junk fees and nickel & dime add-on charges for all U.S. carriers adds insult to injury.

That said, GSM is Europe is nice because your phone works everywhere but stinks because you pay through the nose per SMS and for ridiculous roaming rates.

Maybe Sprint should launch Europe Free & Clear??
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcaz
    Did you know that each line has it's own 2-year commitment, but because it's a shared-minutes plan, BOTH my lines now have a 2-year commitment, even though I only got a (cheap) subsidized phone for ONE of the lines. Any change in your service resets your 2-year commitment.
    For that reason alone I would leave Sprint. This isn't an issue with a Verizon family share plan. I've been known to buy new phones on another family member's month-to-month account to avoid paying full price for a phone, then switch the new phone to my number (and reestablish their number on their original phone). In theory, I suppose I could get a new phone every quarter using this approach since I'm already paying for 5 phones (all are on 1-year contracts).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    What part of "pre-pay" did you not understand? You know what this is don't you? Or better yet, just switch to Verizon where you can pay full retail on a phone and start a month-to-month contract right out of the gate. Make sure your credit card available balance it sorta high (like in Europe). See? You have lots of choices.

To make sure I got this right, you're railing against Sprint, a company you currently have no contractual arrangement with, about how you want them to change their business practices because it infuriates you so much. In the same post, you're criticizing the folks who enjoy and take advantage the free competition benefits in the marketplace - folks not wrapped around the axle in some sort of Don Quixote windmill-tilting contest. Is this where I insert the "rolleyes" emoticon?

Jees...what are you, some schlep that works for a wireless company or something?

It amazes me that so many like you gladly like to bend over and take it from these huge wireles companies as if it is a "privelege" that I have my business with these companies?

If these companies were smart they would rely more on their CS and superior products rather than draconian contracts to reduce theur subscriber "churn"...

Luckily for Sprint they do have some great plans that do make up for their otherwise horrible CS and even worse contract policies...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Jees...what are you, some schlep that works for a wireless company or something?
    No, he happens to be a subscriber with the carrier that was rated highest in the recent Consumer Reports survey. Hmm... Where did Sprint come in on this???

It's great that you have vemon for Sprint, man. But there's no need to project Sprint's on all the other carriers and try to lump them together. If you are miserable with Sprint then do something about it besides trying to convince people on other carriers that they should be as miserable as you are.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    If you go ahead and pay full price for the phone, I think you can go month to month. Although don't quote me on that, but I believe that's the case with Cingular. I was told no contract was necessary if I pay full price for the phone. I don't know enough about the others.

I think 2 yr. contracts are excessive. 1 yr. contracts should be good enough. However, if you're a heavy user and really like the service, contracts are no big deal. But I still think 1 yr. should be sufficient.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

It amazes me that so many like you gladly like to bend over and take it from these huge wireles companies as if it is a "privelege" that I have my business with these companies?

If these companies were smart they would rely more on their CS and superior products rather than draconian contracts to reduce theur subscriber "churn"...

Luckily for Sprint they do have some great plans that do make up for their otherwise horrible CS and even worse contract policies...
    I had to dump Sprint too.They are liars. But unfortunately, sometimes Cingular is too. Verizon actually never did me wrong, I just didn't want to use their outdated phones anymore(at the time that's what they had). They let me sign 1 yr. no problem.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    My big beef is the whole concept of rebates. I personally think that rebates should be instant ... and not require you to mail something in or fill out a form. It just allows a company to ignore rebates as many people probably do not send them in and the company keeps the cash. Sort of a fake, low ball and inaccurate price. Before you flame me, yes I do send mine in. And it should not take 5 or 6 weeks to get it back. After all, when you upgrade your service they get that added to your bill pretty darn quick! Fair is fair.

Just my two slim pennies' worth.
    Rebates are definitely misleading fake sales you have to jump through hoops to get. They need to be given instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by gtcaz
    I needed to get a new phone for my wife (she lost her old one). Of course, 2 year commitment to get a subsidy. OK. The Sprint store also gave me a federal employee discount and a plan better suited to me. Did you know that each line has it's own 2-year commitment, but because it's a shared-minutes plan, BOTH my lines now have a 2-year commitment, even though I only got a (cheap) subsidized phone for ONE of the lines. Any change in your service resets your 2-year commitment. So, even though my 2 years for my line would have been up on the 29th of this month, I now have an additional 2 year lock-in on MY line. That's lame. And to top it all off, you've got the $36 "activation" charge that further reduces the discount/subsidy.
    One reason I hated Sprint, new phone or change in service=extended contract.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123