Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Whatever, dude. Either accept the contract for the carrier of your choice, or settle for something else. But please, quit whining! Your story has grown tiresome.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    So getting back to the 2-year contract issue specifically...should the government force them to also allow 1-year contracts?
    Why should the government force them to do something they already do?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sprint Terms of Service Agreement
    Term Commitments. Unless we specifically tell you otherwise, our service plans require that you maintain service for a minimum term ("Term Service Plan"), usually 1 or 2 years.
    Now put your tin foil hat back on and take your ridalin - it's all going to be just fine.
    Last edited by Kupe; 11/23/2005 at 09:58 PM.
  3.    #23  
    Better yet...if the two of you are happy with whatever the carriers choose to give you, why not simply ignore this thread?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Better yet...if the two of you are happy with whatever the carriers choose to give you, why not simply ignore this thread?
    For the same reason I would find it hard to turn my head away from a train wreck. Sure, it's an ugly sight, but morbid curiosity of the final outcome is an overpowering force.

Besides, carriers don't choose to give me anything. I choose what they give me - period. If one carrier doesn't give me what I want, I move on to another. I also don't whine for them to give me something they have no intention of providing. I also don't sign contracts without understanding their ramifications. It's a simple matter of doing business and making deals - no big woop.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Besides, carriers don't choose to give me anything.
    Really? Are you suggesting that an outside force is telling them which options to provide or that they consulted a magic 8 ball?

I choose what they give me - period.
    Lucky you. So how does one go about choosing for Sprint to provide them with a one-year contract?

If one carrier doesn't give me what I want, I move on to another.
    And following your advice I'd keep moving from one carrier to the next looking for the carrier that provides a one-year contract (or no contract), an affordable unlimited data plan, and good coverage and would end up eventually giving up and doing without a cellphone.

I also don't whine for them to give me something they have no intention of providing.
    Sorry for the silliness...let me be serious again. Whining certainly won't accomplish anything, but if you don't let them know in some way or another what it is that you want *specifically* you leave them having to either guess what consumers want (and will buy) or simply leave things as they are.
    Apparently you didn't read my post about Sprint's 1 year plans. They still have them. You can get one. Or you can (incorrectly) claim they don't exist and pointlessly whine about it on an unrelated forum. If that's what you choose to do, then you are taking charge of your life as you see fit.
  7.    #27  
    Apparently you didn't read my post about Sprint's 1 year plans. They still have them. You can get one.
    Can you provide a link to that post? If I try to simulate purchasing a Treo 650 from Sprint's site I'm given the option of either getting it with no plan for $500 or with a 2-year contract for $350. Amazon and other online retailers now all mention 2-year commitments in the fine print of their rebates. Is there an actual web page on Sprint's site that clarifies how one can go about signing up with just a one-year contract and what deals apply or do not apply?
    Here is your link.

On this link you will find the following bullet point:

"Online purchase requires a two-year subscriber agreement for all plans. A one-year subscriber agreement is available on the Sprint Free Incoming Plan with Nights starting at 9 p.m. by calling 1-888-253-1315."

I think Shakespeare had you in mind when he wrote this in Macbeth:

"And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an *****, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    Here is your link.

On this link you will find the following bullet point:

"Online purchase requires a two-year subscriber agreement for all plans. A one-year subscriber agreement is available on the Sprint Free Incoming Plan with Nights starting at 9 p.m. by calling 1-888-253-1315."
    Right, so you're limited to one specific plan and you can't even choose that one rather limited plan with the one-year contract option online (or via any online retailer that sells Sprint phones).

And if you have nothing new to add to this discussion other than insults, I'll kindly request that you move along. You're "valuable contributions" to this thread have been duly noted.

So to sum up...If you're a new customer and want to buy a Treo 650 (or any Sprint phone) at a decent price with your choice of plans and options online and only be locked in for one-year, you can't. Instead, you'r best bet seems to be to lock into a 2-year contract and factor in the early-termination fee in your total cost.

Then, once you're locked into a contract, if you want to upgrade to a new phone and stay with Sprint, you're options are to either:
    a) Buy the phone at full price from Telesales and keep your current phone number.
    b) Cancel your current account (and pay the early termination fee), and get the new phone at the best price possible (again, likely with a 2-year commitment), and change phone numbers.
    How about option C: buy a new phone from a friend, Ebay, or somewhere else, and activate it through Sprint?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  11.    #31  
    Right. Just to clarify, that's a valid option for existing Sprint customers locked into a contract who want to keep their current number. If you're not a current Sprint customer, buying from eBay isn't a good option because you'll still be forced into locking into a 2-year contract (or that one 1-year plan) once you go to activate it, but you won't have access to the various rebates offered by online retailers. IOW, new Sprint customers (and possibly existing Sprint customers who don't mind losing their existing phone number) will be best served by buying from an online retailer and factoring in the early termination fee.
    So to sum up...If you're a new customer and want to buy a Treo 650 (or any Sprint phone) at a decent price with your choice of plans and options online and only be locked in for one-year, you can't. Instead, you'r best bet seems to be to lock into a 2-year contract and factor in the early-termination fee in your total cost.
    You forgot one assumption with your theoretical new customer. They're not savvy enough to call the toll free phone number listed in this quote on the Sprint Page: "Online purchase requires a two-year subscriber agreement for all plans. A one-year subscriber agreement is available on the Sprint Free Incoming Plan with Nights starting at 9 p.m. by calling 1-888-253-1315."

This theoretical new customer would be the same one that pays the sticker price for a new car and full fare for an airline ticket. There are always choices.
  13.    #33  
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Sprint doesn't have some fine print that says, "Get whatever plan you want with just a one-year contract by paying a bit extra by calling this number." The fine print states that you can get a *very specific* plan with a one-year option by calling that number. And because most of the best deals on Sprint phones are available through other retailers, even if that specific plan worked for your needs, that one-year option wouldn't be available to you when you bought from someone other than Sprint. So sure, there are always choices. But by that logic, doing without a phone at all would be just as valid of a "choice."
    I for one agree with Scott... I think the these mandatory 2 year contract absolutely suck and smack of monopolistic practices to coerse users to signup for longer periods of time and for services that they might not necessarily want...

Unfortunately though, I think this is one of the consequences of number portability. Wireless carriers are trying as hard as ever now to lock and control they users bases from turning over...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Personally I just renewed my Sprint plan for another 2 years. This is the third renewal for me.

First, my current plan with Sprint is now over $100 per month. I pay $85. That's $360 over two years.

Second, they are giving me a $5/mo. service credit for two years. That's another $120.

Third, I am getting a new Treo and saving $150 plus a turn-in credit of an additional $50. That's $200.

So, to give Sprint my cell business for two years saves me $680 over two years. I'm good with that. And I like the service, it's pretty good around here ... cell, not customer, service. Although my local Sprint Store is 2 blocks away and is excellent!

Besides, go to your bank and buy one of those "higher" interest CD's that requires you to lock your money in for 2 or 3 years. Then get your money out early and see how much of that "higher" interest you get.

My big beef is the whole concept of rebates. I personally think that rebates should be instant ... and not require you to mail something in or fill out a form. It just allows a company to ignore rebates as many people probably do not send them in and the company keeps the cash. Sort of a fake, low ball and inaccurate price. Before you flame me, yes I do send mine in. And it should not take 5 or 6 weeks to get it back. After all, when you upgrade your service they get that added to your bill pretty darn quick! Fair is fair.

Just my two slim pennies' worth.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I for one agree with Scott... I think the these mandatory 2 year contract absolutely suck and smack of monopolistic practices to coerse users to signup for longer periods of time and for services that they might not necessarily want...

Unfortunately though, I think this is one of the consequences of number portability. Wireless carriers are trying as hard as ever now to lock and control they users bases from turning over...
    I think this is the key here. People think "oh well you know what you are getting into, if you don't like it, don't sign the contract." Well, what options are there? Go to a store or go to a website and sign a 2 year contract, or call a number that no one advertises and get a 1 year contract? Sounds fishy. And keep in mind I don't have to sign a 1 year contract for local land line service. Contracts are used to try to guarentee revenue and reduce barriers of exit and entry. And every carrier is doing it.

That smacks of anti-competitive, monopolistic behavior. If you won't give me good service, I should be allowed out of my contract. Businesses are recognizing that because people are porting their numbers that the barrier to leave is too low for their tastes so instead of competing directly on service, they compete by forcing people into contracts.

Quite simply, cell phone companies should compete on service. They refuse to do so deliberately. Companies should be giving people what they want, but they ALL do this and no one has figured a way to provide a more reasonable service. Therefore someone in the justice department should step in and try to make things more reasonable for consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by deviladv

That smacks of anti-competitive, monopolistic behavior. If you won't give me good service, I should be allowed out of my contract. Businesses are recognizing that because people are porting their numbers that the barrier to leave is too low for their tastes so instead of competing directly on service, they compete by forcing people into contracts.
    You are allowed out of your 2 year contract. You simply have to pay back the subsidy that you were given for the phone that you purchased.

Don't like that? There is the pre-pay option with no contract. Wait? Is it more expensive? Of course it is! It's cheaper if you commit to a contract! This isn't anti-competitive, it's incentives and it's perfectly legal.

You have many choices:

- Other vendors (Monopolistic practice requires 1 company to control the market.)
    - Pre-pay
    - Use of a landline.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    You are allowed out of your 2 year contract. You simply have to pay back the subsidy that you were given for the phone that you purchased.
    That's just the point! What if you DON'T want to pay for the freaking phone subsidy?

Or what about if you're in a situation like me where my contract has expired, but Sprint WON'T let me change my plan without first agreeing to a new TWO year agreement?! WTF IS THAT!!! I'm not buying a freaking new phone, I just want to change my plan? That is totally ridiculous imo...

Don't like that? There is the pre-pay option with no contract. Wait? Is it more expensive? Of course it is! It's cheaper if you commit to a contract! This isn't anti-competitive, it's incentives and it's perfectly legal.

You have many choices:

- Other vendors (Monopolistic practice requires 1 company to control the market.)
    - Pre-pay
    - Use of a landline.
    Monopolistic practices can also be done by groups to companies conspiring together to price fix services or products. With the intention of controlling prices, competing businesses can coordinated prices in order to minimize competition and increase profit. In essence, this is a form of monopolization as companies consolidated their operations in the market. This btw is the essence of late 19th century antitrust laws...

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/04/040704.asp

Why some people here are soo happy to enslave themselved to indentured servitude to these wireless companies is beyond me...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Gfunk -- No one said I was happy to tie my hands for two years ... but the tradeoff is good for my situation. Granted, $680 over two years is not alot, but it is $680 in my pocket, not Sprint's.

But realistically, Sprint could say to me that my plan was a two week promotional plan back in October of 2002 and could charge me the current rate.

So, what I get is my plan (2000 AT minutes, unlimited Vision, Sprint to Sprint, sms and picture mail, long distance and no roaming in the US) for $85 and they are giving me a five dollar per month credit for the next 24 months taking it to $80 dollars.

If they required me to get a new plan, the closest one with Sprint would cost $115 per month.

I made the call and I am happy with what I have.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I don't think I would have such a problem with this thread if it was billed as what it really is. The two people that have raised the issue are both on Sprint. Not all of the carriers are doing what Sprint does. Verizon has 1 year contracts, and will let you adjust your plan during the contract. You usually trade $50 on the price of your phone for the 1 year contract. T-Mobile almost exclusively deals in 1 year contracts. So to say that all of the carriers are creating a monopoly by collusion is just false. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint also all of different rates for minutes and data. There's no conspiracy here people.

I agree with you that Sprint's policy sucks. It's ok to rant about. It's not ok to call on the government for industry reform because you don't like Sprint's policy.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast