1.    #1  
    I need to replace an old Kyocera QCP-6035 (a very early smartphone).

The main thing I used this phone for was email & I used Eudora.

I still have the Verizon plan that this phone was purchaed on.
    My plan has no 'data package', just minutes. When I check email (or use EudoraWeb to browse the internet) the phone makes a data connection by dialing #777 and it simply uses my minutes.

This is ideal for me since I rarely use the phone as a phone.

So I went to the Verizon store yesterday thinking I'd buy a Treo 650.

They tell me that this ability (checking email using my minutes) is not available on any current smartphone-type device. To use any non-voice functions I have to purchase a data package, the least of which adds $40 (if I remember correctly) per month to my voice-minutes package.

I talked to 2 tele-sales folks, and 2 in-person folks at the Verizon store as was never able to get a consistent story (related to this or Mac functionality of Wireless Sync) so I have little confidence that they really know what they are telling me.

Is this correct? Must I have one of these data packages to use Eudora?

Thanks!

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    Wow, that's exactly what I needed.

I _had_ searched, but I guess the real thing is knowing enough to know what to search for -- which I didn't.

Thanks for the help!

If I read this correctly, I can use the phone to dialup my mindspring account rather than using data services (or the QCP-6035 method of #777), and this is just what I wanted to do.