1.    #1  
    Seems like unlimited data plans are roughly the same price ($40 for Cingular, $45 for Verizon). Are there any differences? Is Cingular's EDGE faster than Verizon's? How about the ability to "push" emails from a desktop pc to the Treo 650? Both claim to have some sort of service that will do this. Is one better than the other? thanks.
    There's really more to consider than just data. If you are going to actually use the Treo as a phone with regularity, Verizon is the way to go. Also, Cingular's customer service - or lack thereof - is one of the main reasons I'm a Verizon customer, and I've been happy with them for four and a half years now.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    intl vs domestic...that is the main question.
  4.    #4  
    I'll be using almost entirely domestically. Does Wireless Sync (Verizon) or Xpress Mail (Cingular) work well? I'd love to have Blackberry-like functionality on the Treo. In particular, I'd like to be able to reply to emails from the Treo and have the reply show up on my desktop's Sent Mail folder. Also, would like emails deleted on the Treo to be deleted on desktop also. Verizon seems slightly more expensive ($5/month more for data plan + they charge $2 for detailed billing). Also, what is free "IN calling"? Is that calls to other Verizon mobiles or is it all received calls (from whatever source) are free? Can't seem to find the answer on Verizon site.
    IN Calling is mobile to mobile on Verizon. I don't know that you are going to be very happy with either of these e-mail solutions. Is e-mail the only driver for you? If you aren't looking for the "Swiss Army Knife" of smartphones, you might want to look at something like a Blackberry on T-Mobile. Their data/Blackberry plans are cheaper than either of these. Sprint has the cheapest data, but their network is generally not as good as Verizon.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  6.    #6  
    Actually, I'm a long time Palm user but find it a pain to carry Palm + phone, so would like single device. I've been using a Nokia 6600 smartphone, but miss all my Palm apps. I'd rather have the more general purpose device (Treo 650) than the email optimized device (Blackberry).
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    IN Calling is mobile to mobile on Verizon. I don't know that you are going to be very happy with either of these e-mail solutions. Is e-mail the only driver for you? If you aren't looking for the "Swiss Army Knife" of smartphones, you might want to look at something like a Blackberry on T-Mobile. Their data/Blackberry plans are cheaper than either of these. Sprint has the cheapest data, but their network is generally not as good as Verizon.

I believe that the IN CALLING is only with OTHER VERIZON phones from what the Verizon Customer Support rep told me. If a Sprint or Cingular user calls you, you will be using your minutes. Whereas I think with SPRINT ALL incoming calls no matter where, other cellular user, landline, etc. calls you, you are NOT billed your minutes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. God Bless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeluna
    I believe that the IN CALLING is only with OTHER VERIZON phones from what the Verizon Customer Support rep told me. If a Sprint or Cingular user calls you, you will be using your minutes. Whereas I think with SPRINT ALL incoming calls no matter where, other cellular user, landline, etc. calls you, you are NOT billed your minutes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. God Bless.
    You are correct. You just said it better.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Quote Originally Posted by jalperin
    Actually, I'm a long time Palm user but find it a pain to carry Palm + phone, so would like single device. I've been using a Nokia 6600 smartphone, but miss all my Palm apps. I'd rather have the more general purpose device (Treo 650) than the email optimized device (Blackberry).
    Based on this, I'd say go with Verizon and get a 650. It's ok as a phone, and you already know about Palm. Bluetooth is going to be somewhat limited, but that's a Treo issue.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case