webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Navit > Navit release thread (current)
Navit release thread (current)
Like Tree11Likes

Old 04/11/2014, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

After more than one year without any new Navit version, the Czech homebrew developer 72ka succeeded in building a new webos Navit app, based on the current svn code. This thread is meant to be a replacement of noradtux's Navit release thread (legacy).

Armv7 links are suitable for Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, Veer, TouchPad, and TouchPad Go - whereas the armv6 files can be installed on Pixi and Pixi+.

Download links:
2014-03-12: org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5337-0.1_armv7.ipk | Uloz.to
2014-04-11: org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5760_armv7.ipk | Uloz.to
2014-04-11: org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5760_armv6.ipk | Uloz.to

Click the ipk file symbol named "Soubor" (file); don't click any of the other download icons or arrows. In the next window below "Omezené stahování" (limited download) enter the captcha code and click "Stáhnout" (download).

Feel free to join the webOS Nation discussion about Navit for webOS, suggest new options, or improve the GUI by yourself.

A German forum can be found here: Navit für den Pre?

The Navit project has it's own wiki and forum.

[edit] Can any of the moderators make this sticky, please? This edit can be removed afterwards. Thanks! [/edit]

Last edited by ZehHa; 05/18/2014 at 07:16 AM.
ZehHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2014, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi, thanks for this new thread.

The latest (and most advanced) release is here (tested by myself on pre3 a couple hours on the road):

Navit for webOS - r5760 by Jan Heřman (72ka)
* current SVN version r5760 with fixes for webOS
* custom gui layout
* added Android-Car map layout, set this layout as default
* recent translation strings
* custom czech translation strings
* added missing icons
* !! IMPORTANT: To get new gui, delete /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/navit.xml first!!
* Install only using WebOS quick install or Preware

The package contains a lot of new stuff, mainly the icons in more resolutions focused on Pre3 etc. That´s the reason why the package is around 7MB.
It is not necesary to remove previous version, just do an update, the bookmarks etc. will be untouched.
And again, don´t forget to delete the /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/navit.xml before the install!

DOWNLOAD armv7 (Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, Veer) here: org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5760_armv7.ipk
DOWNLOAD armv6 (Palm Pixi, Pixi+) here:org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5760_armv6.ipk

For the next releases, I´m now introducing into webosinternals ecosystem, and then I´ll continue the same way... please wait.
Old 04/11/2014, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Today I had to do some driving and the vehicle satnav didn't work. I looked up the destination in google maps (Thanks 72ka!) and selected, 'Route with Navit'. It worked perfectly! It even said "Watch out: Speed Camera!" (I'm sure it does this at all times not because I was speeding!). Slightly scary when that robot voice says, "Turn now!"

I have to say the interface behind the map is not intuitive - can this be altered in the Navit.xml? Or is it more difficult?
Old 04/12/2014, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Today I had to do some driving and the vehicle satnav didn't work. I looked up the destination in google maps (Thanks 72ka!) and selected, 'Route with Navit'. It worked perfectly! It even said "Watch out: Speed Camera!" (I'm sure it does this at all times not because I was speeding!). Slightly scary when that robot voice says, "Turn now!"
You can simply navigate to any contact or event, just by a simple touch. Or enter an address by the means of "Just type" and choose "Navit" as search option. Much easier than with any other navigation device or software. Including Garmin, Navigon, and android apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I have to say the interface behind the map is not intuitive - can this be altered in the Navit.xml? Or is it more difficult?
You are right. It's the default menu structure, also used in the android navit branch. There have been some changes in the webOS branch during Noradtux's and HaPe's active time. They tried to include the more frequently used options in the main screen, like bookmarks and location. You can install one of the older packages and keep navit.xml from this.

And yes, it can be altered. But you have to modify the xml file manually, which doesn't work intuitively either.

Last edited by ZehHa; 04/12/2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04/22/2014, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

On a fresh install, it appears that navit.sh is not set for the proper file permission, once i made it +x, then the app worked
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2014, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

... ok, maybe it didn't "work", but it did "load" :-) Apparently the app is just giving a white display with no maps, even though I have a California map set loaded.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 04/22/2014, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Apparently the app is just giving a white display with no maps, even though I have a California map set loaded.
Seems like Navit doesn't find the map. Where is the map stored and what does the mapset tag in mapset.xml look like?
Old 04/22/2014, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
Seems like Navit doesn't find the map. Where is the map stored and what does the mapset tag in mapset.xml look like?
Same problem as Eric on my pre3. The mapset.xml shows the right file path where my maps are located.
I installed it on the TP, everything is working just fine, picked the maps just right. The difference being i actually didnt delete the navit.xml prior to the installation on the TP. I dunno if it's related or just coincidence.

Edit: Never mind, working after a reboot.

Last edited by Vity Traff; 04/22/2014 at 04:16 PM.
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2014, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
I copied it to /media/internal/appdata/..../maps like i did on the prior one. i didn't check the xml file, but i could see that being a problem. I don't have the phone with me, the lady took it with her on a trip with the kids, so I'll have to check that later.

I think Navit might be the "Blender" of GPS apps .. extremely good but insanely difficult to make sense of for the average user. ;-) (fortunately, my lady has me, right?)
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 04/23/2014, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
(fortunately, my lady has me, right?)
Same here in good old Europe. I'm good for keeping running the desktop computer, netbook, home network, IP telephony, mobile phone, and the lawn mower.

BTT:
Quote:
I copied it to /media/internal/appdata/..../maps
As told somewhere else, the wild card "*" in the XML file finds one map data file only, not all of them. So if there is more than one, each of them has to be defined separately.

Last edited by ZehHa; 04/23/2014 at 11:34 AM.
Thanked By: 60RH
Old 04/24/2014, 12:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
On a fresh install, it appears that navit.sh is not set for the proper file permission, once i made it +x, then the app worked
Oh, I have to check it. But it is weird, I didn't touched the postinst scripts regarding permissions. Thank your for report.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 04/26/2014, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ka View Post
DOWNLOAD armv7 (Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, Veer) here: org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5760_armv7.ipk
FYI - I installed this latest version on a TouchPad GO (with 3.0.5) and it works well.
Actually I enabled Bluetooth on the GO and connected with my Pre3 to get the GPS position transferred to the GO every second.
Now I found that the GO has GPS build-in and I will enable it and test Navit on the road again.
I think I will need to work on the menu UI to get bigger icon buttons and so.

Thanks again!
MartinH@webos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2014, 07:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

I asked this on the other Navit thread, but no response. Have your new Navit on both Pre 3 and Touch pad. Works very well on Pre 3, but on the touchpad, after a few miles, it begins to slow down and loose the proper location for vehicle on road. Use external bluetooth on pad and internal on pre3. Any suggestions?

Last edited by docsdad; 04/29/2014 at 07:52 AM.
docsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2014, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
FYI - I installed this latest version on a TouchPad GO (with 3.0.5) and it works well.

Now I found that the GO has GPS build-in and I will enable it and test Navit on the road again.
Now I verified that built-in GPS (in my TP Go) works fine with Navit navigation on the road.
Thanks again!

---
I also noticed (as someone reported before) that the volume up and down does only work in navit if the navigation voice is currently active. So the volume buttons are not generally bound to the media volume but by default bound to the ringer volume when the navit app runs. Perhaps that can be changed to control the media volume in navit at all times.
Liked by vgg likes this.
Old 04/30/2014, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

I tried to install the new version (5760) with mixed results but I'll detail it in another post.

What I want to discuss, is the new menu layout. Maybe I'm the one and only, but I think the old one (made specially for webOS by HaPe - correct me if I'm wrong) was way better at usability than the new one (which is the stock menu layout of Navit).
I have to tap one more time for almost every "action" (because it is in the "Actions" sub-menu).
I can see, that the stock layout has some benefits, especially for those who are new to Navit, but way too much burden for anyone using it regularly.

So after some thinking, I started to harvest the best features of both layouts into one, which would (at least it should) prove productive and more easy to learn.

The main point that I was after:
- the frequently used options should be there at hand with the fewest taps
- the infrequently used options should be grouped in some logical layout and more-or-less hidden from view.
- the icon names should suggest the function, nothing more, other information should be displayed by other means.

Now don't imagine anything earth-shaking, after all the possibilities are quite limited, but for me this is much more usable than the previous ones.

The steps to try out - most of you already know, but for the others:
- open Internalz
- switch to directory: /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/guis/
- rename the file: 00-default.xml to 00-default.xml.orig or something you like
- save the attached file to this directory
- fire up Navit and use it

The steps to revert:
- delete 00-defaut.xml
- rename file 00-default.xml.orig to 00-default.xml
- fire up Navit and check

PS: I'm using some images from the 5760 version so if you're still with older version than you'll end up with a working Navit that here and there displays a question mark instead of an image in the menu.
PS2: did you know that after you have fixed your position to a map point (Map Point -> Set as position (and deactivate vehicle)) you can re-enable the GPS (without re-starting Navit) by going into Settings -> Advanced -> Vehicle -> Set as active ???

Here is the file: http://www.tylla.hu/00-default.xml
tylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2014, 05:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

As I sad I had mixed result with installing the newest version (v5760)

On my backup Pre3 (2.2.4/German) after a few trials I managed to install it. I don't remember the exact order, but it involved a mix of installing previous version (v5337), removing appdata directory, installing v5760, removing installed version. There and back again.
But now it works as it should. It's fast, it's perfect, it rocks. Thanks 72ka!!!!

On my daily driver Pre3 (2.2.4/AT&T) I can't get further than v5337. No matter what I tried it doesn't install properly. Actually it installs, Preware displays the Installed OK message, but depending whether it was a fresh install or I was updating a previous version, the Navit icon doesn't even appear, or is visible as is was with v5337 but it cannot be started, and after a reboot even the icon disappears. Preware always tells me that the app is installed.

Has anyone met these symptoms? Has my profile something strange in it that does not allow it to install?
My backup Pre3 has a freshly created profile with barely anything in it.
As I use this phone daily, I'm not really in the mood of doctoring/wiping etc, at least not if there is other way available.

Now it came to my mind that 72ka advised to install the v5760 with WOSQI, I'll try that tomorrow, maybe that way I will succeed.

Any thoughts?
Old 05/08/2014, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylla View Post
Now it came to my mind that 72ka advised to install the v5760 with WOSQI, I'll try that tomorrow, maybe that way I will succeed.
did you try that?
Old 05/09/2014, 06:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
did you try that?
Thanks for reminding me, at least now I will share my experience.

Yes, I tried it and it installed OK, it starts, it works, even after reboot.

One minor glitch is that the icon appears a little distorted (it's shorter and wider than the Navit Maps icon which I keep it next to it), and this is the same on both my Pre's.

Does this happen to others too?
Old 05/09/2014, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

no difference on pre2 that I can tell.
Old 05/09/2014, 10:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me, at least now I will share my experience.

Yes, I tried it and it installed OK, it starts, it works, even after reboot.
Ok - fine - as expected.
Quote:
One minor glitch is that the icon appears a little distorted (it's shorter and wider than the Navit Maps icon which I keep it next to it), and this is the same on both my Pre's.

Does this happen to others too?
Yes. I see the same little change - and I kind of like it. (new version - new icon size)