Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Anyone change the voice on Navit? If so, how did you do that. I am on a Pre3 ATT.

Thanks.
    Hi,

I always wanted to have a nicer car in navit, so I sat down and converted a picture file with some tools into a xml-file usable with navit.
    I really don't know, what ist the right way to customize navit. So I named my file cursor.xml.car and replaced the one lying in /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/layouts/. As far as I remember I had to replace the file twice, because the old one was somehow restored. Now I'm using this car several months without performance problems on a HP Veer, though the file is much bigger than the original one.
    I made no additional layouts for a driving or a standing car because in most cases I feel if my car is moving

Below you can find a screenshot and the xml-file for the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    tylla likes this.
    oh, an old beetle :P
    Is there a particular program you used to make the file? I'm assuming it's SVG in XML as I see code describing the image...
    I used a script I found here: RGB data from image

After a little modification you can upload a gif image (with transparent background) and get a string in return which contains a lot of placeholders (###). These placeholders were replaced into carriage returns with a tool like Notepad++ to get a proper formatted xml file.

The file attached html-file can be used offline (I used Mozilla Firefox). I used a gif file with 48x48 px.
    Preemptive, tylla and dkirker like this.
    Thanks. I'll have a look later. It's a nice looking graphic. Have you offered it to the Navit project? It'll be quite fun if we upload little pics of our favourite cars - maybe 72ka could offer them as options as he develops webOS Navit?
    Thanks Nafetz for the script.

With your "post-factum permission" I made some changes and some clean-up to the code.
    Now it is able to handle any size of image, and prepares correct SVG that can be copied and pasted right into the cursor.xml.car file.
    Moreover it skips any transparent pixels from the image, so it saves a little on file size.
    And I added some comments too, so that less experienced users can use it without too much struggle.

See attached file.

If there is no protest against it, then I'll offer the script to the Navit guys to put it on their page as an easy means to use your own car's image (or any image) as cursor.

Ps: the original image size is 50x50, so the new images size should be kept somewhere around this. I don't know the limits of the code (I am now using an 80x100 image and it's OK) but the SVG size gets larger exponentially. YMMV.
    Ps2: I really recommend to all of you as a challenge to try to find a picture of your car type on the net, where the car should be photographed from birds view (rear top). It's hard. Really hard.
    Preemptive, dkirker and Nafetz like this.
    That's really great - thank you!
    There's one thing I noticed yesterday: the script seems to convert double values into single ones. I you have a color #2c23dd you'll get #2c23d. I tested your new script with an image where I noticed this yesterday and it seems to be the case in your script, too. (You can test with Biker0.png on the following link - the last two color-values are affected)

So yesterday I tried a code like this in the loop over each pixel :

Code:
          if (mx[i].toString(16).length == 1) {
            rString = mx[i].toString(16) + mx[i].toString(16);
          } else {
            rString = mx[i].toString(16);
          }
          if (mx[i+1].toString(16).length == 1) {
            gString = mx[i+1].toString(16) + mx[i+1].toString(16);
          } else {
            gString = mx[i+1].toString(16);
          }
          if (mx[i+2].toString(16).length == 1) {
            bString = mx[i+2].toString(16) + mx[i+2].toString(16);
          } else {
            bString = mx[i+2].toString(16);
          }
    and then

Code:
    myString = myString + '    <polyline color="#' + rString + gString + bString +.......
    This worked for me, but I think you have the skills to solve this problem more professional than me

I did another experiment yesterday evening with animated cursors. Inspired by User:Hermann - Navit's Wiki I built a cursor-file with the four biker-cliparts. The file exceeded to almost 700kB (transparent pixels already deleted).
    Then I uploaded the file bike.xml.car into /media/internal/org.webosinternals.navit/layouts/ and edited line 8 of the file 03-Bike.xml in this folder from cursor.xml.car into bike.xml.car
    This way you can keep your original cursor.xml.car file.

Today on my way to my office I changed Settings -> Display -> Appearance from Car into Bike. Instead of a car I saw a biker standing on his foot. While driving, the biker was "driving" too as you can see on the pictures.
    But there must be still a mistake - he is only moving the left foot. I still haven't found out why...

And I don't know how to insert a image-file as a cursor as described in the link above (maybe it's only possible in Android)
    Has anybody managed to run Navit in an emulator? It's a little bit exhausting going outside and looking for a GPS-connection just to see if the cursor is loaded...
    Does anybody know what the text next to the tire means? (280 m | 0km/h)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafetz View Post
    That's really great - thank you!
    I'm glad that you like it.

Actually the abbreviation of color values is standard (it's called HTML color shorthand), but not like this. Normally it is only allowed if all the three color components are doubles (eg. 22FFAA gets 2FA, and BBBBDD gets BBD, but BBF2AA into BF2A is not allowed). But as I remember the code this is not intentional, I would rather call it a bug.
    I'll take a look at the code and your changes later today.

The linked wiki page is really inspiring, I'll make a few experiments. I have some ideas for the image-file as cursor too.

And you don't have to get good GPS reception to test your cursor. If you are connected to some WiFi (and maybe cellular too) then the localization code should provide you with some rudimentary GPS fix (only one red dot in the top right corner) but this is enough to show the cursor on the screen. Only sometimes jumps around when the location fix gets modified. (at least this is what i saw on my Pre3)

Ahh, and the text next to the tire means the distance to the closest speed/traffic camera and it's set speed (above which it would take a photo of you). I suppose there is a camera in the intersection before you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tylla View Post
    And you don't have to get good GPS reception to test your cursor. If you are connected to some WiFi (and maybe cellular too) then the localization code should provide you with some rudimentary GPS fix (only one red dot in the top right corner) but this is enough to show the cursor on the screen. Only sometimes jumps around when the location fix gets modified. (at least this is what i saw on my Pre3)
    I have none of the possible connections on my working place with my testing device. But activating Google location services might be a good idea. Walking to the next WiFi needs only a few footsteps

Quote Originally Posted by tylla View Post
    Ahh, and the text next to the tire means the distance to the closest speed/traffic camera and it's set speed (above which it would take a photo of you). I suppose there is a camera in the intersection before you.
    Sounds very interesting. There is a speed camera maybe 280 m away from the point where I took the screenshot. But it is not at my planned route. When I continue traveling on my route the value increases beginning at that point. But I hope I don't need this feature while riding on my bicycle
    Sounds very interesting. There is a speed camera maybe 280 m away from the point where I took the screenshot. But it is not at my planned route. When I continue traveling on my route the value increases beginning at that point. But I hope I don't need this feature while riding on my bicycle
    Ohh, yeah, the algorithm doesn't really mind about your direction. If the speed camera is within a given distance, it will warn you. Even if you will pass by by a great distance or you are traveling away from it it will just warn you.
    Last edited by tylla; 03/27/2015 at 05:29 AM.
    I tried every combination I could think of but I couldn't make the icon cursor work. I tried different relative/absolute paths, PNG and SVG files, nothing.
    So I'm giving up for the moment and I will use my previous XML based image.
    Has anybody tried to customize the estimated time of arrival? The calculated times of Navit are always too fast for me so I tried to find out how to make the calculated time a little bit slower.
    I found this link which appeared helpful for me. In the folder /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/vehicle-profiles/ I made a copy of 01-car.xml and named it 05-nafetz.xml. After this it was possible to chose a profile nafetz in Navit -> Settings -> Vehicles so this seemed to work. Then I changed all speed entries in 05-nafetz.xml to 10 km/h (later to 200 km/h).
    But unfortunately this had no effect. Only changing of maxspeed_handling in line 1 had an effect, but only on the calculated way not on the speed. Does anybody know what exactly makes the pedestrian slower than the car? How can I make my car slower?

------------------------------------
    There are two settings I found useful, because there are displayed elements too small for my eyes when I'm driving.
    • Edit line 26 of /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/osds/00-default.xml to increase the font-size of the distance-value and arrival-value on the top line and customize the language if needed:
      Code:
      <osd enabled="yes" type="text" x="0" y="0" w="480" h="20" font_size="300" label="Distance: ${navigation.item.destination_length[named]} - Arrival: ${navigation.item.destination_time[arrival]}, ${navigation.item.destination_time[remaining]}" background_color="#000000FF" align="4"/>
      For landscape view on my Pre2 font-size 300 were perfect. On my Veer I had to reduce to 280 (with german labels). Maybe you need smaller values depending on the length of your label
    • Edit line 64 of the same file to hide the field for speed-cameras below your vehicle.
      Code:
      <osd enabled="yes" type="speed_cam" w="0" h="0" x="0" y="0" announce_on="1" background_color="#000000cc" font_size="0" label="" />
      The spoken warning will still be there but the additional information like camera type, distance and speed limit at the bottom will be hidden.

Looks like this on a Veer in the end:
    Found it
    I found a german site with a good explanation of the attribute maxspeed_handling. As far as I understand this, the edited speed values only have effect with maxspeed_handling = 0, if there is no maxspeed limit in the OSM maps. So no matter what values are entered, you always have to drive at speed limit to get the arrival time - which is nearly impossible when you have traffic lights or trucks on the road.

So it seems better to set maxspeed_handling to 1 and set individual speed values. On this way the speed limit only has effect if your entered speed value is higher. If the speed value is lower navit calculates with your speed value. This setting is suggested by the author of the site.

After carefully editing the speed settings of my new profile I have now 61 minutes instead of 47 minutes for a 50 km trip through landscape and villages that I made several times this weekend. It took always about one hour.

Looks good so far - but needs some more tests in the next days
    Hi,

I'd really love to use Navit for riding with my bike with display turned off most of the time (to save battery). I thought Navit should be perfect for this, because you get spoken announcements if you have to turn left or right.

But unfortunately since one week I'm running into several problems that can be confirmed in the Android version. There seems to be no way to get into the official Navit forums (my login request is still unanswered). So I hope I can find someone here who can help

It seems like it isn't possible to get a routing on some streets. You can see a small example in the picture below with a route of about 50 meters. When I make the route some meters longer, I get no result any more on my HP Veer. On an Android device you can see a ridiculous alternative route that is calculated for my bike to avoid the few unwanted 30 meters (go across the meadow, drive to the highway, drive along the highway to the next exit, turn around, drive back the highway, jump over the barrier, go across the meadow). I guess Android ignores that bikes are not permitted to drive on highways.

I had a look into the data of OSM, where the new piece of track is defined. There seems to be a problem for element 34786412 (and the tracks that follow). I think it is caused by the attribute access=agricultural which isn't set at the element before. So easiest would be to delete this (correct) attribute on my individual map.

Here comes the next problem: I can export an osm file - but I can't convert it into a bin file. There seems to have been a tool named maptool to convert osm files, but it isn't delivered any more (I guess because there was a bigger change in the osm system 2013 (at least if I read all informations correctly). So how can I convert my manipulated file?

Next problem: There's an alternative called route guard. After really long and hard work I could finally make this run on my HP Veer. But it is only saying once that you have left your previously imported track. But I can't see the track on my device, so I don't know if I left my track to the left or the right...

Any ideas how this riddle can be solved?

Kind regards
    Is this what you are looking for?

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+package/maptool
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    Nafetz likes this.
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    I had a look into the data of OSM, where the new piece of track is defined. There seems to be a problem for element 34786412 (and the tracks that follow). I think it is caused by the attribute access=agricultural which isn't set at the element before. So easiest would be to delete this (correct) attribute on my individual map.
    Have you considered fixing in once and for all on OSM side? If there are no legal obstacles to ride a bicycle along the road, of course. I'd add "bicycle=yes" tag to the element, but take it with a grain of salt, I don't touch roads yet.

I don't frequent German OSM forum (my German is barely enough to enjoy Laibach and Rammstein songs ), but on Polish one you can ask for correction, providing the reasons you think it's needed. More experienced editors usually come to help and fix the problem.
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    Nafetz likes this.
    The is a specific Navit maps app on my phone. The downside of navigating without a data link is that the map may be out of date. I'll look to remember exactly what this app does, but I think it downloads the maps and I'm probably overdue to refresh.
    Nafetz likes this.
    Thank you very much for your ideas and help.

Quote Originally Posted by KURT B View Post
    Nice finding After reading your idea I found another package which is newer and might be better for the current OSM-version.
    But here's my next problem: I have no experience building such a package... Is this cross platform? My main system is Windows but I have a Lubuntu notebook (where I'm still acting like a beginner). I think I will spend some time in reading how this might be done in Lubuntu. If this will work in the end then it would be the perfect solution for me

Quote Originally Posted by briest View Post
    Have you considered fixing in once and for all on OSM side? If there are no legal obstacles to ride a bicycle along the road, of course. I'd add "bicycle=yes" tag to the element, but take it with a grain of salt, I don't touch roads yet.

I don't frequent German OSM forum (my German is barely enough to enjoy Laibach and Rammstein songs ), but on Polish one you can ask for correction, providing the reasons you think it's needed. More experienced editors usually come to help and fix the problem.
    You're absolutely right. I found the "note" functionality in OSM and left a hint to add this tag for "my" roads (there are official signposts for bicycles on this track). But when planning a route in other regions this would take too long to get positive results. It would be perfect if there was a setting in navit.xml to allow bicycles and pedestrians to use tracks that have access restrictions for agriculture - but I found nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    The is a specific Navit maps app on my phone. The downside of navigating without a data link is that the map may be out of date. I'll look to remember exactly what this app does, but I think it downloads the maps and I'm probably overdue to refresh.
    To confirm it is not a problem of old maps I downloaded actual maps from Planet Extractor yesterday. Seems like they are from 2016-08-29 - and have the same access restrictions for pedestrians and cyclists on my agricultural tracks
    I'm just downloading a new map to my Pre3 with the Navit Maps app. I remember using the Planet Extractor when I first started using Navit.

Yes, as above it would seem that if the problem is intrinsic to the map, then fixing that is the answer. Or temporarily, is there a 'Tractor' option? Of course, what this app really needs is...
    Demi-god mode: Use any path
    God mode: Bee-line to the destination (useful for hoverboards)

Ugh! It seems my almost 800mb download has ground to a halt with only 2.5mb to go!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/10/2016 at 10:03 AM.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast