Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    the Navit Maps app works fine with the new Navit.
    But I'd like see a few changes / enhancements for Navit Maps too. Where can I find the main thread about Navit Maps?
    The original thread was closed and it says we should use the new subforum instead. But I can not find a subforum about Navit Maps only .. Please help - or let's start a new thread about Navit Apps. Who is the current owner and it this open source?
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Martin,

I see you've actually been in both main threads that I know of but there is the main Navit that is all encompassing, not just webOS. This is in post one of this thread.

Also, you asked who the current 'owner' is and for webOS I can only find this from 72ka:
    Yes, absolutely agree. I´ve contacted Noradtux and he said, that he is on the dark side (Android) and I can maintain Navit for webOS. So I´m still testing my latest release. Then I have to get all my changes and make a patches and pull them to webosinternals... I don´t want just to fork from origin, I want to continue under the webosinternals name.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
    I can maintain Navit for webOS. So I´m still testing my latest release. Then I have to get all my changes and make a patches and pull them to webosinternals... I don´t want just to fork from origin, I want to continue under the webosinternals name.
    Mike, you plan to enhance the Navit app for webos ? Ok - fine - we need to coordinate with 72ka.
    I also have some ideas/requests about the Navit app. For some changes I will try to customize the UI and see how far I can get.

But my question here is about the specific "Navit Maps" app that we can use to download and install recent maps.
    I'd like some enhancements there:
    1. option to not offer and download maps of file size >2GB (e.g all of Germany) - because you can not use them on webos directly.
    2. some option to check and notify if for any of the installed maps there is a newer version available - and if so allow download or define regular download schedules. Today I need to download the whole map just to find out the the map was not updated since last time.
    3. When downloading an updated version then first complete the whole download and if successful do replace the old file with the new map file. Today the old map file is deleted / overwritten even if the download fails and then there is no map backup available. I need to try downloading again and again until it completes successful.

These are my main enhancement requests for "Navit maps" app.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    LOL - I wish I could help to maintain it, but I think my cat would be of more use - he certainly has more spare time!

That paragraph was preceded by "I can only find this from 72ka:" as he is maintaining it. Having said that those enhancements do look logical!

If we could find a way to use the MapTool tiles instead that would be even better as you could actually target the area you want with a lot more detail. I could also use the same tiles (maps) for Navit, Google Maps (by 72ka) and MapTool Pro which would save space on the limited 8GB devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    1. option to not offer and download maps of file size >2GB (e.g all of Germany) - because you can not use them on webos directly.
    2. some option to check and notify if for any of the installed maps there is a newer version available - and if so allow download or define regular download schedules. Today I need to download the whole map just to find out the the map was not updated since last time.
    3. When downloading an updated version then first complete the whole download and if successful do replace the old file with the new map file. Today the old map file is deleted / overwritten even if the download fails and then there is no map backup available. I need to try downloading again and again until it completes successful.
    If I may put in my 2 cents, I would vote for an inverse priority list.
    I mean top priority would be the "don't delete the map until the new has downloaded" behavior.
    On a side note, once I had a look inside the code of "Navit Maps" and it seems someone tried something like this, but it didn't succeed , and I didn't had the time/routine to finish his work. Maybe someone with bigger webOS experience would be successful.

The check for map updates/periodical update would be fun/useful, but I can live without it. Not to mention this would need some changes upstream (I don't think now we have such information as the last changed date of the map data - if I'm correct the map files get generated periodically whether there are changes or not).

The map size over 2GB... Does Navit suffer from 2GB file size limit? I never run into this. Maybe that's because I'm from a country (Hungary) that has a 200MB map and that already contains some 8 other countries, some almost completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by tylla View Post
    If I may put in my 2 cents, I would vote for an inverse priority list.
    I mean top priority would be the "don't delete the map until the new has downloaded" behavior.
    On a side note, once I had a look inside the code of "Navit Maps" and it seems someone tried something like this, but it didn't succeed , and I didn't had the time/routine to finish his work. Maybe someone with bigger webOS experience would be successful.

The check for map updates/periodical update would be fun/useful, but I can live without it. Not to mention this would need some changes upstream (I don't think now we have such information as the last changed date of the map data - if I'm correct the map files get generated periodically whether there are changes or not).

The map size over 2GB... Does Navit suffer from 2GB file size limit? I never run into this. Maybe that's because I'm from a country (Hungary) that has a 200MB map and that already contains some 8 other countries, some almost completely.
    Fine - the priority order might be different from how I listed the issues.

Where did you find the source code of "Navit Maps"? Is it open source?
    I have no idea how frequent the map files are generated and uploaded to some location where "Navit Maps" picks them up. I also don't know if you could trigger or request such a map file refresh by any means.
    Some indicator if the file size of a map file is different from my local map file would be helpful - and I can decide to refresh the map or not.
    The map for all of Germany is currently bigger than 2GB. You can try that and it will fail on your webos device.
    I opened my Navit app on my Pre- . The map loaded and my location showed up fine. But I am getting an error message when I select an option from the Navit menu that says

"Application Error The application Navit has quit unexpectedly".
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    "Application Error The application Navit has quit unexpectedly".
    Navit - overall is not stable at all times.
    This can happen from time to time. Sorry - I don't know the reason.
    Just, try again. If you are low on memory then do a reboot first and try again.
    If it continues to be the same problem then perhaps some might be able to debug.
    But perhaps the resources on Pre- are too low for running latest Navit ?
    Navit - overall is not stable at all times.
    This can happen from time to time. Sorry - I don't know the reason.
    Just, try again. If you are low on memory then do a reboot first and try again.
    If it continues to be the same problem then perhaps some might be able to debug.
    But perhaps the resources on Pre- are too low for running latest Navit ?
    This is usually due to poor memory management in the C++ part of the app. MojoWhatsUp and KalemSoft Media Player suffer from this occasionally too.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    This is usually due to poor memory management in the C++ part of the app. MojoWhatsUp and KalemSoft Media Player suffer from this occasionally too.
    Yes - this could well be. For Navit I wonder a bit because there are several experienced developers engaged and I assume these memory issue occur on other platforms too.
    BTW - for Google Maps app I also see/assume memory management issues after some time of using the app.
    But I can not find a subforum about Navit Maps only .. Please help - or let's start a new thread about Navit Apps.
    well - it might be time to start a new Navit Maps thread.

In the recent days I encountered that Navit Maps is no longer able to download any map at all?
    I tried on Pre3, TP and on TP GO : E.g. in West Europe - Germany - I select the map of Bremen for download and within seconds I see a message "Finished Download of Bremen .. " - but nothing was actually downloaded.
    Do others see the same issue with using navit maps app? (did the maps service change?)

If you try this - be aware - this will first delete the an existing local version of the map file that you want to download.
    If download fails then you have no more map for that area. (If needed please backup before)
    I can confirm the maps download issue......as soon as I click on a map to download it says it is finished, but nothing downloads. VZW Pre 2 with 2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    I can confirm the maps download issue......as soon as I click on a map to download it says it is finished, but nothing downloads. VZW Pre 2 with 2.1.
    I can only partly confirm the download issue.
    I tried to download some maps, and sometimes it finishes before starting like mentioned. Other times it downloads the maps as it should.
    But this wasn't different for me in the past. I frequently had such download errors, and as I concluded it was mostly caused by poor network connection. After a while I accustomed to the habit to get near a Wi-Fi access point (I mean really near, with at least two or three waves on the Wi-Fi icon) and only then start downloading maps. And this way I was able to produce an 80-90% success rate.
    Today a tried to download Albania and Hungary and finished both OK, but I couldn't download whole Eastern Europe, not even for the 5th time.
    Although I was able to start downloading Germany (1.5GB), Germany+Austria+Switzerland (2GB) and Western Europe (2GB).
    I didn't let those finish (it would take a considerable amount of time), but this brings up the issue about the 2GB limit. As can be seen from the previous sentence, the sizes are not consistent (Western Europe can't be 2GB if DE+AT+CH is 2GB too). I took a look at the Planet Extractor (Navit :: Planet Extractor) and DE+AT+CH is 2.4GB and Western Europe is 5.2GB. So I conclude that Navit Maps has some bug (it count the file size using an Integer!?) which doesn't let it count any file size above 2GB, which would explain the "bigger than 2GB map" problem, those maps aren't downloaded properly for the first time.
    BTW: the Eastern Europe map definition has some problems on the Planet Extractor, because it doesn't highlight the area at all, maybe that's the problem for the download to fail.

I'm using Navit Maps v0.0.5-2 as can be downloaded from Preware, on a Pre3 running webOS 2.2.4.

@MartinH@webos: Navit Maps is open source (GPL), it is a webos-internals project, the source should be available. I looked at the source on my device back then, but I can't tell you where you would find it, I have to take a look at it first. The package itself is available here: http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.5-2_all.ipk
    the Navit Maps app works fine with the new Navit.
    But I'd like see a few changes / enhancements for Navit Maps too. Where can I find the main thread about Navit Maps?
    The original thread was closed and it says we should use the new subforum instead. But I can not find a subforum about Navit Maps only .. Please help - or let's start a new thread about Navit Apps. Who is the current owner and it this open source?
    I can only partly confirm the download issue.
    I tried to download some maps, and sometimes it finishes before starting like mentioned. Other times it downloads the maps as it should.
    But this wasn't different for me in the past. I frequently had such download errors, and as I concluded it was mostly caused by poor network connection. After a while I accustomed to the habit to get near a Wi-Fi access point (I mean really near, with at least two or three waves on the Wi-Fi icon) and only then start downloading maps. And this way I was able to produce an 80-90% success rate.

@MartinH@webos: Navit Maps is open source (GPL), it is a webos-internals project, the source should be available. I looked at the source on my device back then, but I can't tell you where you would find it, I have to take a look at it first. The package itself is available here: http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.5-2_all.ipk
    Thanks - OK - I tried again today.
    Today I was able to download 2 maps wíthin Germany and then 2 download failed (halted after ~20%).
    Perhaps there is some limitation for the bandwidth or the number of connections at the server.
    I anyhow do downloads only over a good WiFi connection.
    I feel that a download is successful if it starts within the first few seconds. Then if it stops/halts for more then 20-30 seconds it was never successful to complete.
    To bad that you often have to try and try again. This increase the overall load to the map server and takes bandwidth.
    And bad for the users because there is a high risk that the download will fail and with current Navit Maps implementation this deletes the old map version and then you are without any map at all.
    We really need that issue fixed in Navit Maps. (When I'm able to locate the source code - I will post it the pointer here).

----
    EDIT: I have to correct a bit.
    The few downloads that completed seem to be incomplete. Map file size is about 75% of what it was before. (I downloaded Germany- Baden-Würrtemberg and the size is about 300MB but 2 weeks ago is was about 450MB in size. The new map appears to be incomplete in Navit. - I need to investigate more details.)

EDIT2: is this the location to find source files of the Navit Maps app?
    http://git.webos-internals.org/applications/navit/
    Last edited by MartinH@webos; 05/29/2014 at 08:50 AM.
    I feel that a download is successful if it starts within the first few seconds. Then if it stops/halts for more then 20-30 seconds it was never successful to complete.
    Yes my exprerience is the same, if it doesn't start in the first few seconds, than I can cancel it as well, it will not start after that. And I can confirm the halts too.

EDIT2: is this the location to find source files of the Navit Maps app?
    navit - Car Navigation System
    No, as I see this contains only the compiled version of Navit, so the files before packaging.
    Yes my exprerience is the same, if it doesn't start in the first few seconds, than I can cancel it as well, it will not start after that. And I can confirm the halts too.

No, as I see this contains only the compiled version of Navit, so the files before packaging.
    Well - I'm not looking for the Navit app - but for the source of the Navit Maps app.
    What about this subfolder:
    navit - Car Navigation System
    This appears pretty much like the source of Navit Maps. Not sure it does reflect the latest published version?

Who "owns" this code? If we find/define fixes for this code - how can we get a newer version into preware?
    I really want to try the new Navit build but unfortunately the file is down, could you please reupload it?
    2014-04-11: org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5760_armv7.ipk | Uloz.to
    some1 else mentioned elsewhere but it would be nice to block off the current road used due to roadworks etc and recelculate a new route, esp as there doesnt seem to be a way to avoid motorways or specific roads in my routes and im experiencing a lot of roadworks on major roads on my way to work recently and expected to be that way for a few months.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    broncot likes this.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    It's probably question for Navit authors rather, but here I feel more at home What service does Navit use to look up addresses? Is it Google by any chance, and is it possible for end-user to switch to something else?

The problem is I consistently, for years, get strange results for some streets in my city; i.e. looking for Katowice, Lisieckiego gives me Lisieckiego street in neighbour town Chorzów; Katowice, Fredry finds Fredry street in another nearby town -- Tychy. Searching with Navit Maps via Just Type and descending thru Town > Street in Navit itself yields no differences. I live in quite crowded place, so hits are only a few kilometers off, the harder to spot at first.

At first I thought it's old OSM problem of boundaries, but no -- Google Maps does the same (webOS and WWW version), and OSM Nominatim gives correct answer.
    Hi all, just downloaded the Navit and Navit map app to my pre3. I am looking for a map of Illinois, USA, but could not find one. Any suggestions on where and how to get one? I will keep my WebOS devices as long as I can with everything the community has to offer. I will donate to every developer when I use there app, update, or download there software. Thanks everyone for supporting this great operating system.

Kurt.
    Preemptive likes this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast