Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hugo.s
  1.    #1  
    I recently got a new smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3). Of course I wanted to continue using Navit. Navit is available on Google Play Store, but I was severely disappointed by the initial setup.

- The layout just sucks. There is no current speed, no speed limit, no street names, nothing.
    - There is no good documentation on how to customize navit.xml - in particular, the location of navit.xml is confusing
    - Speech output sucks - with the Samsung TTS engine as well as with the Google TTS engine. Some street names are not spoken at all or wrong.
    - The menu structure is confusing and difficult to use.

So I tried to modify the navit.xml. Documentation talks about navit.xml in the root directory of the SDcard. This is WRONG. navit.xml needs to be placed here (seen from Windows 7): Computer\GT-I9300\Phone\navit\navit.xml The Model name may of course be different depending on your phone model. This location is NOT on the SDcard but in the phone memory.

I customized a navit.xml that I found on the web (can't remember the location). It now has readable fonts and all the information that we have on WebOS.

So the attached navit.xml is for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and probably for other phones with 1280x720 pixels.
    I also attached a navit.xml for 480x320 (for example Samsung Galaxy Young, with the mapfile being located on the SDcard, see the maps section in the xml file).

Extract the appropriate xml file from the zip archive and rename it to navit.xml before copying it on your phone (see above for the right location).

Question: Can we get the speech dispatcher from WebOS ported to Android?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hugo.s; 08/12/2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Have you tried the built in Navigation app? It isn't that bad.
    I actually paid the $15 for GPS Co-Pilot, has some nicer screen themes as well as the ability to store your maps locally on your phone so you don't have to rely on a cell tower signal in order for the map to render. This has come in handy several times for me, as there are massive dead zones in the Rocky Mountains if you stray too far off the beaten path.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3.    #3  
    I also tried navfree, but I don't want to spend any money. And I want to stay with openstreetmap based maps because I can fix bugs in the map and download the new version next day.

I still think that navit is an excellent navigation app. The UI is a bit difficult to use but with the customizable xml file it can be adjusted.
    sledge007 and geekpeter like this.
    Fair enough, I was mistaken though. The app is free, but I did pay for traffic updates. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apviewer&hl=en
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo.s View Post
    I recently got a new smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3). Of course I wanted to continue using Navit. Navit is available on Google Play Store, but I was severely disappointed by the initial setup.
    So did I. WebOS Navit got a lot of community support, including an excellent GUI. IMHO OsmAnd is a whole lot better in terms of GUI and ease of use. If you want to get all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for this. But you still have the benefit of the community map support.

<off topic> Using Navigon comercial maps (most current version) I would have been completely lost a couple of times in rural Romania this summer without OSM and Navit on my Pre3. </off topic>

Quote Originally Posted by hugo.s View Post
    Question: Can we get the speech dispatcher from WebOS ported to Android?
    Should be possible, since eSpeak is open source linux. Get the source code, port it to Android. Oh, it has been done already. See eSpeak in google's play store. But the user rating is less than satisfying.