webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Navit > Navit 0.5.0.5287-1: new stable release
Navit 0.5.0.5287-1: new stable release
  Reply
Like Tree25Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/19/2013, 06:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
patapoof's Avatar
 
Posts: 765
veer 2.1 and navit usta work befor a visit to the doctor...

went through posts and went to Index of /feeds/webos-internals/armv7/ and installed several older versions ...no joy ...still tap on the navit icon gives tap ripple and nothing else ...all other apps work fine...

boohoo ...any ideas ?
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 11:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
hugo.s's Avatar
 
Posts: 16
I upgraded without any problems, but (the following is not meant to be taken seriously): This is really a step backwards! I miss the "Du fährst zu schnell" (now: "Bitte die Geschwindigkeit verringern") and also "In den 200 Metern in den Kreisverkehr einfahren" is now corrected. How sad. I loved these messages.

Other than that (now seriously again) this new version appears to work very well and I would like to express my thanks for making it available.
hugo.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 05:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
I tried it with another Palm Pre Plus with WebOs 2.1 (WebOs doctored)

0.5.0.5287-1_armv7 works perfect!

Any idea?

Franz aus Kölle
fmiproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2013, 11:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
TJs11thPre's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
i just installed navit and navit maps from preware, it installed its two (each) additional packages, rebooted, and navit maps is telling me i need to download a map. the green button says "proceed". but clicking it does nothing.

do i still need to usb connect to a PC to install a map? i got the impression from the description that the maps app now does that, and that just the two installs from Preware are essentially plug n play. am i missing a step? thank you for any advice.

this is Pre2, 2.2.4 on sprint.

**EDIT** ok i retried at a wifi site and the options for various geographical regions have listed where before it was just blank, so i had no idea i was missing something.
i was able to navigate thru to select my preferred map and its now downloading. yay!

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 09/21/2013 at 06:22 PM.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by alanmorford likes this.
Old 09/21/2013, 09:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
jccjmml7's Avatar
 
Posts: 184
If you don't mind, could you give some feedback on how well it works for you?

I am on a VZW Pre2 running 2.1, so I know that GPS may cripple it, but I would like to give it a shot!
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2013, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
TJs11thPre's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
If you don't mind, could you give some feedback on how well it works for you?

I am on a VZW Pre2 running 2.1, so I know that GPS may cripple it, but I would like to give it a shot!
i too am using a VZN Pre2 with 2.2.4, converted to Sprint.

my first impression is it's not very clear how to operate the application. The initial screen is a map, with no clearly understandable icon indicating "start a trip" or "navigate to" or "input an address". So, i couldn't figure out how to input a new destination to navigate.

but i was able to trigger the app to initiate a trip, instead by typing the address into the "just type" bar. that brings up the standard webOS "launch and search" page, with wiki, google, and other choices of reference sites. clicking "more +" allowed me to select Navit. The app then booted and initiated the voice-guided trip. I did not actually complete the trip or drive anywhere yet, it was just a test while at home. but it does look like it will work sufficiently.

it took a bit of effort to get the Navit Maps supplemental app to download/install the map package i needed for southeast USA. At first, the app simply showed a blank page -- until I connected to a wifi connection, when choices for map downloads suddenly became available and then did install without issue.

hopefully after a Navit-aided trip or two i'll be able to report back that it functions as well as the Sprint branded app which is now dead.

i hope it works ok for you and anyone else. good luck.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: diabolical
Old 10/02/2013, 05:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,008
There are a few skins that are 100% better. I'm a fan of the Android "Another 800x480" layout: OSD Layouts - Navit's Wiki (Which may have improved since I last loaded it... )
__________________
The comments and thoughts expressed on this discussion board are strictly my own and are not those of OpenMobl Systems.

Last edited by dkirker; 10/02/2013 at 05:23 PM.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2013, 08:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
TJs11thPre's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
There are a few skins that are 100% better. I'm a fan of the Android "Another 800x480" layout: OSD Layouts - Navit's Wiki (Which may have improved since I last loaded it... )
wow! thanks for the suggestion here. i didn't know what a "skin" was until it became obvious after visiting the page you suggested.

i do see the improvement in layout vs the "palm pre layout" that is pictured there. but as far as how to install and set up a different skin? whoo boy. the whole page is over my head. i'll have to read it a few dozen times and see if i'm up to trying it. i still haven't figured out how to get Miles vs. Kilometers!

a lot of this DIY stuff requires being familiar with some basic things that amateurs like myself aren not, so we are apprehensive to mess around with it. here's an example: when someone says "place files in /navit folder", the word "place" requires clarification of HOW: are we using windows with the phone connected as a usb drive? or using WOSQI then using the "add file" command? or using some kind of command from the linux command prompt window?

oh well i'll try it someday when i'm feeling more adventurous. thanx for the tip; good luck to anyone else!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2013, 11:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
wow! thanks for the suggestion here. i didn't know what a "skin" was until it became obvious after visiting the page you suggested.

i do see the improvement in layout vs the "palm pre layout" that is pictured there. but as far as how to install and set up a different skin? whoo boy. the whole page is over my head. i'll have to read it a few dozen times and see if i'm up to trying it. i still haven't figured out how to get Miles vs. Kilometers!

a lot of this DIY stuff requires being familiar with some basic things that amateurs like myself aren not, so we are apprehensive to mess around with it. here's an example: when someone says "place files in /navit folder", the word "place" requires clarification of HOW: are we using windows with the phone connected as a usb drive? or using WOSQI then using the "add file" command? or using some kind of command from the linux command prompt window?

oh well i'll try it someday when i'm feeling more adventurous. thanx for the tip; good luck to anyone else!
Maybe someone who knows how will help out out fixing up how navit looks/interface. I'm almost embarrassed these days to ask for help . Very few people seem interested in working on existing devices anymore, but theres still a few, thanks to them.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: diabolical
Old 10/04/2013, 06:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 562
I tried changing skins (OSD) with mixed results. The Android layout linked above did go full screen and panned without issues but only a few of the icons are drawn on the screen. Nothing I tried - creating dirs ('navit', 'sdcard', sdcard\navit) or editing XMLs - brought me closer to an acceptable solution. The navit log file was a bit helpful but in the end got me nowhere.

Will re-read the wiki and try again shortly.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 07:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
dkirker's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,008
I wonder how hard it would be to create a skin installer and integrate it into the "Navit Maps" app?

I'll throw it on my wiki. Won't make promises yet. Sounds fun, though! :P I think I had to do a few odd things to get it working on my device....

Edit: Ok, trying to find the Navit-Maps source code....
Edit2: Here: http://git.webos-internals.org/appli...tree/?h=hybrid
__________________
The comments and thoughts expressed on this discussion board are strictly my own and are not those of OpenMobl Systems.

Last edited by dkirker; 10/04/2013 at 07:19 PM.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by guilledil and TJs11thPre like this.
Old 10/16/2013, 08:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
TJs11thPre's Avatar
 
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to create a skin installer and integrate it into the "Navit Maps" app?

I'll throw it on my wiki. Won't make promises yet. Sounds fun, though! :P I think I had to do a few odd things to get it working on my device....

Edit: Ok, trying to find the Navit-Maps source code....
Edit2: Here: navit - Car Navigation System
yes how hard would it be? "sounds fun" he says. didn't Superman say that about leaping tall buildings?

i am SO glad there's still some webOS Devs here. it's kinda like seeing there's still a volunteer fireman on duty even though City Hall closed down and left us.

Please advise when/if you are successful.


So far though, Navit is working well enough for me!

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 10/16/2013 at 08:12 PM.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker likes this.
Thanked By: dkirker
Old 11/05/2013, 03:34 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
purplepansy's Avatar
 
Posts: 90
'Will Navit work on webos 1.4.5? No more Sprint Navigation for me. Sprint's answer to webos customers is to get a iPhone or Android phone. I don't want no Android phone or iPhone!
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 11/05/2013, 04:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 773
IIRC it is a PDK app, so it should work on 1.4.5. Just try it... it's free, isn't it?
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2013, 02:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
purplepansy's Avatar
 
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
IIRC it is a PDK app, so it should work on 1.4.5. Just try it... it's free, isn't it?
I downloaded Navit Maps, then Navit to my Pre-. When I launch Navit Maps I get the message to download a map. I tapped the map I wanted and got a message that it downloaded and a gray bar with the map name shows up in the upper half of the screen. When I tap the Navit Maps menu in the upper left corner of the screen, it's inactive. Cannot get preferences or Edit menu.

When I launch Navit, I get a blank screen.
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2013, 03:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
purplepansy's Avatar
 
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
IIRC it is a PDK app, so it should work on 1.4.5. Just try it... it's free, isn't it?
I'm not a Mobile Techie person, so I don't know the language (IIRC, PDK etc.)
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2013, 11:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
60RH's Avatar
 
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
I'm not a Mobile Techie person, so I don't know the language (IIRC, PDK etc.)
Read the wiki page at Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

I know that Navit works on 1.4.5 because I used it there before.
Make sure that navit shows green bars - it means the gps can see the satellites and get a fix. Once this is done it should locate you fine assuming that you're within the map that you've downloaded and the map file is not corrupted. With the Navit Maps I had some issues with some of the maps downloaded so I used manual method from a PC and then transfer the map over usb : Navit :: Planet Extractor
__________________
Pandora pausing patch | Enable Tasks on Touchpad FullScreen | Uber Cycling Email Dashboard
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 10:57 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
purplepansy's Avatar
 
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
Read the wiki page at Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

I know that Navit works on 1.4.5 because I used it there before.
Make sure that navit shows green bars - it means the gps can see the satellites and get a fix. Once this is done it should locate you fine assuming that you're within the map that you've downloaded and the map file is not corrupted. With the Navit Maps I had some issues with some of the maps downloaded so I used manual method from a PC and then transfer the map over usb : Navit :: Planet Extractor
Thank you for the info. I downloaded the map I wanted to my PC. Is there a specific folder on my phone I need to copy it to?
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 11:11 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
60RH's Avatar
 
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
Thank you for the info. I downloaded the map I wanted to my PC. Is there a specific folder on my phone I need to copy it to?
yes, read the WIKI all the info is there and this is what I've used to get it up an going.
__________________
Pandora pausing patch | Enable Tasks on Touchpad FullScreen | Uber Cycling Email Dashboard
60RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2013, 12:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
Thank you for the info. I downloaded the map I wanted to my PC. Is there a specific folder on my phone I need to copy it to?
Try this (in media\internal):
appdata\org.webosinternals.navit\maps

PS: I've found the documentation to be quicker by far.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0