webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Navit > Test version with support for external Bluetooth receivers
Test version with support for external Bluetooth receivers
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By noradtux
  • 1 Post By noradtux

Old 04/10/2012, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi,
the brave amongst you may try this:
[EDIT]
org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5013-0.1_armv7.ipk
This has been superseded by the new package in the preware alpha feed.
[/EDIT]

You need to have a GPS receiver attached and it must have the letters GPS in it's name (yes, all upper-case).

I don't have a bt GPS receiver, so this build is largely untested.

/noradtux

Last edited by noradtux; 04/27/2012 at 04:04 AM.
noradtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Zeitisen likes this.
Old 04/10/2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noradtux View Post

/noradtux
I paid $25 for one of these:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Maybe worth it, even if only for continuing 'testing' with?

Easily 'brave' enough to try/test your version.. thank you!
Yep.. BT GPS is definitely registering and locating successfully now.. but 'Navit' itself appears somewhat crashy and fussy still!
Should any settings changed, then be saved by the App? They appear not to be.
I have not taken it on the road yet.. just a quick stationary-test so far.. before it crashes again!
This is still a 'breakthrough', Dude!
Maybe I won't have to rely on 'Android'.. lack of BT GPS in Navit was my main 'inspiration' to install Android on the TP initially!

YaY!

Keep up the GOOD work in sorting this App out for the TP!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/11/2012 at 02:39 PM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2012, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks a lot, your version works with pre go gps on Pre3 when the Bluetooth-name has a GPS string inside in the touchpad bluetooth-setting. Tomorrow I will test it on the touchpad on the road.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
xanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/12/2012, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi,
the brave amongst you may try this:
org.webosinternals.navit_0.5.0.5013-0.1_armv7.ipk

You need to have a GPS receiver attached and it must have the letters GPS in it's name (yes, all upper-case).

/noradtux

Congratulation noradtux and thank you. My 'Keychain GPS 2000' works fine with your version of Navit. (Initially I had problems because the 2 external dependent services did not load)

Do you think that you could provide an alert for the loss of GPS? eg battery goes flat on the external receiver. (Maybe GPS acquisition too?)
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 02:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Do you think that you could provide an alert for the loss of GPS? eg battery goes flat on the external receiver. (Maybe GPS acquisition too?)
Hmm, I don't see how, currently. "Vehicles" (GPS-plugins in Navit are called that way) are not supposed to interact with the user.
For now I'm waiting for some more feedback if this is half-way stable and then I will make it an alpha-release in Preware.
Old 04/14/2012, 05:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm, I don't see how, currently. "Vehicles" (GPS-plugins in Navit are called that way) are not supposed to interact with the user.
For now I'm waiting for some more feedback if this is half-way stable and then I will make it an alpha-release in Preware.
Okay. Thanks for the reply.

I have connected my GPS unit to the Touchpad a number of times and did a bit of navigation and it seemed to behave. Certainly at least alpha performance.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2012, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a touchpad 4g and i will give this a try
tabletrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2012, 04:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

New release 0.5.0.5031-0.1 in Preware alpha feed.
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Thanked By: MartinH@webos
Old 05/13/2012, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
New release 0.5.0.5031-0.1 in Preware alpha feed.
Because of this app I enabled the alpha feed in my Preware installation.
I'm very VERY happy to see that this new release introduces GPS via bluetooth for the TouchPad Navit app !
I've tested it very successful with my 64 GB TouchPad 3.0.5 and with bluetooth connection to my Pre3 2.2.4 via the "PreGo GPS (Free)" app v1.2.0 von MetaViewSoft.
I verified it at my home position and once the connection is set up the Navit app is updated within a second. But default my TouchPad uses the Wifi location and as soon as better GPS data was available via bluetooth the position was updated. When I disable the GPS sensor on the Pre3 then the TouchPad remains on the last position and resumes as soon as the Pre3 has re-enabled the GPS sensor.
If I stop the Pre3 app "PreGo GPS" then the TouchPad immediately switches back to Wifi positioning. After this I need to restart the Navit app to continue using the remote GPS data again.
Thanks for this wonderful progress! I will try this combination on the road as soon as possible.

---
BTW - the Navit app still has the same kind of aborts from time to time when switching between menus and so.

Danke von Stuttgart, Martin
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2012, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
I will try this combination on the road as soon as possible.
Today I've tried this Navit on the road. And it works.
I did run regular latest Navit on Pre3 and in parallel used the BT interface to feed this alpha-Navit version on the connected TouchPad 3.0.5. The TouchPad display was a bit delayed in the screen update. The true position was updated about 3 seconds later then in reality. The Pre3 Navit was pretty much tracking my position real-time.
I assume the delay is due to the PreGo GPS (Free)" app v1.2.0.
I don't know the details of that app: perhaps it does not forward every GPS position update but calculates an average position of 3 fixes before forwarding one position per BT ??

The alpha-Navit is not as stable as the last official Preware release. Today the app crashed after about 10 km. (The official Navit version on Pre3 once worked ok for about 200km.
EDIT 2012-05-15: I might need to state it differently: the official Navit on Pre3 also can crash after short time of usage. So this still seems to be a general issue with Navit on webOS.

Once Navit crashes I also had to restart the BT connection on the TouchPad in order to have Navit receiving the GPS data again.
Not sure what lead to the crashes. With lumberjack I could not trace any logfile entry.

Last edited by MartinH@webos; 05/19/2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05/30/2012, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
The TouchPad display was a bit delayed in the screen update. The true position was updated about 3 seconds later then in reality. The Pre3 Navit was pretty much tracking my position real-time.
I assume the delay is due to the PreGo GPS (Free)" app v1.2.0.
I don't know the details of that app: perhaps it does not forward every GPS position update but calculates an average position of 3 fixes before forwarding one position per BT ??
Don't know exactly, but it is a fact that PreGo has some delay.

Quote:
The alpha-Navit is not as stable as the last official Preware release. Today the app crashed after about 10 km. (The official Navit version on Pre3 once worked ok for about 200km.
EDIT 2012-05-15: I might need to state it differently: the official Navit on Pre3 also can crash after short time of usage. So this still seems to be a general issue with Navit on webOS.
Well, most Navit "releases" on Preware are in fact snapshots from the development sources. So yes, stability can vary from release to release.

Quote:
Once Navit crashes I also had to restart the BT connection on the TouchPad in order to have Navit receiving the GPS data again.
Not sure what lead to the crashes. With lumberjack I could not trace any logfile entry.
That's correct. The BT-stack of webOS can be confused easily by crashing applications.
If you are looking for Navit's log, you will find it in /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/navit.log.
Old 08/10/2012, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi, I installed 0.5.0 5149M version (from Preware alpha feed - I assume) on the TouchPad 3.0.5.
Now I can no longer use the BT GPS from my Pre3 to get the current position on Navit on the TouchPad.
Is that BT GPS code removed from that version? How to get a BT GPS enabled version ?

Last edited by MartinH@webos; 08/10/2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08/13/2012, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hi, I installed 0.5.0 5149M version (from Preware alpha feed - I assume) on the TouchPad 3.0.5.
Now I can no longer use the BT GPS from my Pre3 to get the current position on Navit on the TouchPad.
Is that BT GPS code removed from that version? How to get a BT GPS enabled version ?
Hi,
there was no modification to the GPS-Code, so it should "just work". If you provide your navit.log I can take a look. It should list all detected GPS-devices there.

/Malte
Thanked By: MartinH@webos
Old 08/14/2012, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi,
there was no modification to the GPS-Code, so it should "just work". If you provide your navit.log I can take a look. It should list all detected GPS-devices there.
/Malte
Indeed, it just works ok. I can confirm that Navit 0.5.0 5149M version works ok with BT device like Pre3 running PreGoGPS 2.0
There is no specific notification about the BT connection - but when GPS fixes are received you can see it at the Signal bar indicator.
Sometimes it is a bit tricky to get the devices to connect in the right sequence. On the Pre3 I need to make sure GPS is enabled and working, BT is enabled and working, Connection to your mobile provider should exist to get the GPS fix.
--
Not sure what happens if you have several BT GPS devices available ...? Will Navit connect to all, one or will it ask the user to select one?
Old 01/17/2013, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi,
it works great with my old treo 755p Emtac BT ever. Nice work!
Old 09/07/2013, 01:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Anyone still monitoring this thread? I have 0.5.0.5287-1, from release feed I think, and BT GPS doesn't work. I've had it working in the past, but currently have beta feeds disabled. Should I enable beta feeds and reinstall, or should the GPS code be in the version I have?
nzpling is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0