1.    #1  
    My problem was that I couldn't open the New Zealand map. I could open any other map I tried without a problem. Suddenly it came to me that the difference is in the country name. There is a space between New and Zealand. Navit obviously can't handle it.
    So I changed the name of the maps file to New-Zealand.bin (/media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/maps) and changed the name accordingly in the file mapset.xml in the same folder. Good as gold!

Also like the tip on webosinternals to create the 'lang-override' file in the Navit directory. Just create it and add just 'en_NZ.utf8' to the file. Now it even defaults to New Zealand.
    Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

Tip: use Gemini or Internals Pro to create and edit the files.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Glad you had success using the wobosinternals wiki. So South Africans and North Carolina people will have the same problem perhaps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Glad you had success using the wobosinternals wiki. So South Africans and North Carolina people will have the same problem perhaps.
    Yes, likely. And Canary Islands, West Virginia etc. Might be something the developer can fix, but deleting the space or replacing with another character is a workaround for now.

BTW I'm not impressed with the maps Navit uses for NZ. My town is not even on there and therefore lot's of streets are missing. At least patchy and at best useful to travel the highways and some cities in NZ. Support for openstreetmaps (which has highly detailed NZ support on my Treo 650 using MobileXT app) is unstable and outdated unfortunately according to some sites. Or need to compile your own map...

I guess it's even better to wait till Ndrive magically shows up in Touchpad or PRE3 app catalog....
    Last edited by renater; 01/02/2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Open Street maps depends on someone in your town putting it on the map. Perhaps you are the only one in town who cares? The NZ OSM wiki asks for people outside of Auckland to help WikiProject New Zealand - OpenStreetMap Wiki
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Open Street maps depends on someone in your town putting it on the map. Perhaps you are the only one in town who cares? The NZ OSM wiki asks for people outside of Auckland to help WikiProject New Zealand - OpenStreetMap Wiki
    The OSM maps are fine I think. At least they are on my Treo650. It's about the maps they supply when you download the map using the Navit maps app. Maybe they're old or trimmed down versions to save bandwith? Might compile my own maps if I'm getting really bored ;-)
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    The Navit map service, that the webOS maps app is using, updates it's data every night from the main OSM server.
    So if you compile your one maps they can only be up to 23 hours more up to to date.

HaPe