Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I've been trying to download maps using the Navit Maps but I keep hitting the 2 Gb limit. The downloader says the file is 2.0 Gb but then stops at 2.0 Gb and never finishes. I think this is because it is actually more than 2 Gb and that's the file limit. But the map for continental US is over 2 Gb.

If I download a bunch of smaller maps for different regions, can Navit handle navigating from one map area to another? Or do I need a map that covers the entire route?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    See http://forums.precentral.net/navit/3...ml#post3200291

Its the FAT32 format issue not NAVIT. Yes many maps can be used at once so you can go over 2GB in total but not for one file.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I'm using this on the Pre3, not the Touchpad.

But in any case, if Navit will do routing from map to map then it's only a minor inconvenience, not a big problem. I'll just download them separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    See http://forums.precentral.net/navit/3...ml#post3200291

Its the FAT32 format issue not NAVIT. Yes many maps can be used at once so you can go over 2GB in total but not for one file.
    Shouldn't the "Navit Maps" app not allow you to download maps of a size over 2GB then? Or at least give you a warning that it won't work? Or perhaps even break the download up into smaller chunks (IE: Download each state map separately for you?)

I spent hours trying to get US maps downloaded yesterday and could not understand why it would reach 2.00 of 2.00 and just freeze.

-Jeremy
    Does anyone have an idea why Navit :: Planet Extractor still shows map version 120117? Usually it gets updated every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    Shouldn't the "Navit Maps" app not allow you to download maps of a size over 2GB then? Or at least give you a warning that it won't work? Or perhaps even break the download up into smaller chunks (IE: Download each state map separately for you?)

I spent hours trying to get US maps downloaded yesterday and could not understand why it would reach 2.00 of 2.00 and just freeze.

-Jeremy
    I wonder if it's because the actual file size is a few bytes, or kilobytes over 2.00 gigabytes...so nominally it is 2 GB, but FAT32 is absolute in it's interpretation...if you are 2.00001, you have exceeded the limit of 2.00, because FAT32 doesn't care about significant digits...or our feelings
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    ...FAT32 doesn't care about significant digits...or our feelings
    A harsh existence has left it cold and calloused. Being called FAT all its life, and having really bad experiences at 8, 12, 16 and 32 (I think it was beaten, abandoned and forced to do makeovers), it does not care - can not care, actually, about other people's feelings.

You're correct though; the number of bits used in cluster ID in the table is set and this results in the upper limit based on the bit size for each iteration. I just think that what irwinr12 alluded to has some merit. That should be a NavIt issue because the FAT32 limit is just under 4GB. Maybe the external volume was setup differently by webOS? I'll check it at some point.

shneor was able to download and use an almost 3GB map... initially.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    A harsh existence has left it cold and calloused. Being called FAT all its life, and having really bad experiences at 8, 12, 16 and 32 (I think it was beaten, abandoned and forced to do makeovers), it does not care - can not care, actually, about other people's feelings.

You're correct though; the number of bits used in cluster ID in the table is set and this results in the upper limit based on the bit size for each iteration. I just think that what irwinr12 alluded to has some merit. That should be a NavIt issue because the FAT32 limit is just under 4GB. Maybe the external volume was setup differently by webOS? I'll check it at some point.

shneor was able to download and use an almost 3GB map... initially.
    Oh yeah...FAT32 limit is 4GB...I guess I was thinking FAT16?

But I don't think I can agree that it can not care...I'm going to have to go with Dr. Noonien Soong on that one...

Good luck on this issue...and Go Giants! (oops, may have started something...pay no attention to the Rockbeast in the shadows...)
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by hugo.s View Post
    Does anyone have an idea why Navit :: Planet Extractor still shows map version 120117? Usually it gets updated every day.
    Does anybody have an idea what's going on? Still map version 120117. It looks to me as if a scheduled job has stopped wirking and nobody cares. I just don't know where to go, who takes care of the planet extractor......
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    The planet extraction is mentioned by the Navit team. I expect that they are working on it, as the also do it in there spare time.

Just be painted .

HaPe

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Just be painted .
    Which colour?
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Just be painted .
    Autocorrect has gone from helpful to annoying to just plain weird!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Planet extractor still shows version 120117 - that is now for 17 days. I have my doubts that anyone in the Navit Team has noticed the problem. Without having fresh maps, Navit becomes useless over time......

I've made several corrections in OSM in the meantime and I can't test them

I have no clue how to contact these people to make them aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo.s View Post
    Planet extractor still shows version 120117 - that is now for 17 days. I have my doubts that anyone in the Navit Team has noticed the problem. Without having fresh maps, Navit becomes useless over time......

I've made several corrections in OSM in the meantime and I can't test them

I have no clue how to contact these people to make them aware.
    Navit - Contact us

Thanks. I sent an email 2 days ago and guess what? Today the planet extractor is working again