Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I have been using Navit for about 2 months now. I am still impressed. Nevertheless I've got some questions

1) Is Navit/webOS based on the latest version of Navit (on other platforms, like Android)? When I look at a screenshot from Android, it looks more advanced: wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Navit/Android (sorry I am not yet allowed to post direct links)

2) Is there any way to help identifying frequent hangs or crashes? I am using it on a Pre2 with the latest webOS Version (currently 2.1.0). I am more than willing to contribute, as far as I don't risk losing my data.

3) Can we correct errors in the speech output? For example: "In den 200 Metern in den Kreisverkehr einfahren" sounds a bit silly. (The first "den" has to be removed)

4) My biggest issue is currently that sometimes GPS reception seems to be somehow disturbed (max. the first red bar) and so far I can only fix that by rebooting the Pre2. After reboot, I get full signal strength (all 5 bars green), so it looks like something's hanging. When that happens, the postition is also sometimes something like 50 meters wrong in a certain orientation (mostly west).
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Ok, so I have been using Navit for about 2 months now. I am still impressed. Nevertheless I've got some questions

1) Is Navit/webOS based on the latest version of Navit (on other platforms, like Android)? When I lock at a screenshot from Android, it looks more advanced: wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Navit/Android (sorry I am not yet allowed to post direct links)

2) Is there any way to help identifying frequent hangs or crashes? I am using it on a Pre2 with the latest webOS Version (currently 2.1.0). I am more than willing to contribute, as far as I don't risk losing my data.

3) Can we correct errors in the speech output? For example: "In den 200 Metern in den Kreisverkehr einfahren" sounds a bit silly. (The first "den" has to be removed)

4) My biggest issue is currently that sometimes GPS reception seems to be somehow disturbed (max. the first red bar) and so far I can only fix that by rebooting the Pre2. After reboot, I get full signal strength (all 5 bars green), so it looks like something's hanging. When that happens, the postition is also sometimes something like 50 meters wrong in a certain orientation (mostly west).
    1) Yes it is the latest version. If I look at the link I find our layout better then the one in the screenshot. But that is a private point of view. The layout of navit is very customisable (the complete layout is defined in a set of XML files on you USB drive). You can change the webOS Navit version to look the same as in the screen shot if you like.

2) Yes, tell us what happened and post appdata/webosinternals.navit.com/navit.log

3) That have to be done by the original navit team. There is a link to there bug tracking system in the wiki. The webOS version will pick up the changes

4) That is a webOS problem. We do not get any GPS data from the API at that point. It is even worth on the Pre3. I almost have to restart my Pre3 every time I what to use the GPS.
    You can check this If you start e.g Maptool. It will also not get a GPS fix in this situation.

Hape

from my HP TouchPad using Kommunizierst
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Do Garmin maps work with Navit? I tried with my Veer, the old basemap works, but a new unlocked map not.
    The site says the driver is dead:
    Maps - Navit's Wiki
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    As fare as I know they never worked again on the driver. The main official map pool for Navit is OSM.
    The Garmin driver is included in the webOS package as it is in the Navit repository.
    It can show unlocked maps, but not use them for routing. If Garmin do any changes on there map format then you will be out of lock if you are not able to update the driver source or find someone how is doing it for you.

HaPe

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Navit does not have the search function, right?

Without being able to search poi, it will just be another map, not a gps.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Maybe this question has been answered somewhere else.
    I have a new Pre 3 and I've installed Navit and Navit Maps and downloaded the Pacific map.
    When I try to use it, I get a screen that is blank yellow with empty areas where it looks like information would go. I tried tapping that, and it brings up Main Menu, where I can enter a town, but the subsequent street field doesn't find any matches.
    Did I miss something in the install?

BTW, I had the same experience a few weeks ago when I installed on my (now retired) Pre+.

TIA
    Dan
    Hi,
    I too have a Pre3 and just needed to wipe it and start fresh due to some theme issues I was having. I had the Navit system installed on it before the wipe and it worked great. I've had it on my pre2 in the past as well. For whatever reason, the maps won't download. It'll get a ways in and then stop downloading altogether. It will stay there for hours. I've restarted. Uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted. I've waited a couple days. Tried downloading different maps. I think I've tried most everything. I did have this issue on my Pre2 once and am not sure what finally caused it to work. But I can't get it on the pre3. Can you please help?

Jesse
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I installed on my Pre3 yesterday for the first time. Same thing. Map download hung and never finished. After closing and restarting, it won't even show any maps to download.
    Can't download maps any more. Previously downloaded map on Touchpad still there. But new maps don't download on both my pre3 and Touchpad. Something broken with downloading maps? Tried restart, but the app just returns with white screen, no error codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Can't download maps any more. Previously downloaded map on Touchpad still there. But new maps don't download on both my pre3 and Touchpad. Something broken with downloading maps? Tried restart, but the app just returns with white screen, no error codes.
    I can confirm that. Don't know what's wrong, yet.
    [UPDATE]
    The maps-server seems to be down.
    [/UPDATE]
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    From the navit irc forum:
    21:06 < BenScoobert> hi all
    21:06 < BenScoobert> any idea where to get the maps for navit?
    21:06 < BenScoobert> the links fo rmaps here doesn't work
    21:07 < BenScoobert> Navit - Download
    21:16 < sleske> BenScoobert: Hi! Navit - Download is just the place.
    21:17 < BenScoobert> is it offline temporarily?
    21:17 < sleske> Rather, it *would* be just the place, were it now down at the moment.
    21:18 < sleske> Yes, they had some server problems the last days; the wiki is down as well.
    21:18 < sleske> I guess they'll be back in a few days.
    21:18 < sleske> In the meantime, you can use Navit :: Planet Extractor
    21:19 < sleske> It's apparently a mirror of the regular map download page.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Where can I find instructions on downloading and use of Navit on the touchpad?
    I wish I could do an address search like a normal GPS map software. The only way to route to an address is to scroll the map and tap the location.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Not so please, read the webosinternals navit wiki on how to do it. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...e_July_2011.29
  15. vba
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I use navit in Hungary, the problem is that a lot of streets are missing from the database, therefore, I cannot imput my destination.

Is it possible to paste a geocode somehow in navit gui?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Not yet, it seems. There are few ticket open in navit's BTS, but the interface is still missing. I've found some interesting info, though: one can enter coordinates into navit via dbus. I haven't checked yet if "our" navit is built with dbus support; if it was, it shouldn't be so hard to, say, extend Navit Maps to provide such interface, or create simple app solely for this purpose.

Edit: and there's also the method with editing bookmarks file.
    Last edited by briest; 03/26/2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    or you can use Navit-Maps:
    Navit-Maps: Map manager and launcher for Navit

It is a helper application to download maps or use the google gecode api to find the location of a address and then tell navit to guide you there.
    It also can be used as a webIOs replacement for bing maps. As a result you can tap an address in the calendar or contacts and it will start navit to guide you there or show the address.

HaPe
  18. vba
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    thanks, I'll try your tips
  19. vba
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    or you can use Navit-Maps:
    Navit-Maps: Map manager and launcher for Navit

It is a helper application to download maps or use the google gecode api to find the location of a address and then tell navit to guide you there.
    It also can be used as a webIOs replacement for bing maps. As a result you can tap an address in the calendar or contacts and it will start navit to guide you there or show the address.

HaPe
    thanks for your help, it worked for one day, but after that I only get a blank UI in Navit (GPS is on, finds fix because it shows my current speed; map is copied to the specified folder)

I started a new thread about this: http://forums.webosnation.com/navit/...re3-navit.html
    Can we PLEASE have an option in Navit to recognise and work with an EXTERNAL Bluetooth GPS unit?

Most Touchpads are GPS-less!

There are hundreds of thousands of them on webOS!

Thank you!

~~~~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast