1.    #1  
    I'm having a problem getting maps up. When I installed Navit and Navit Maps last week on my 3.0.3 Touchpad, I downloaded the 2.7gb North America map, and everything worked beautifully. The map of my current location came up, I could scroll the map everywhere, it was terrific. Since then, although I have a base location in California listed, the actual map just won't come up. It's just a blank with a car, and the latitude and longitude of my location. I have had internalz, file manager, etc. installed since before I installed Navit. I'd appreciate any tips to get the maps working again. I don't have the fstab bug, and everything else of working as it should.

My Touchpad is reset every night using PresetReset.

Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    How are you getting the latitude and longitude? Navit does not yet have a way of reading an external GPS receiver as there is none in the TouchPad. This will happen, just be patient. Are you creating a bookmark for your California location and then setting it as position? If so you must remember that West is negative longitude. If you used positive you will get a location way off your map.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    How are you getting the latitude and longitude? Navit does not yet have a way of reading an external GPS receiver as there is none in the TouchPad. This will happen, just be patient. Are you creating a bookmark for your California location and then setting it as position? If so you must remember that West is negative longitude. If you used positive you will get a location way off your map.
    The settings are accurate and were set with wifi on and the bookmark is appropriate (I'm an amateur astronomer and have had a good understanding of lat and long for many decades). I am beginning to suspect that the North America map file is simply too large as it os over the 2 gb limit. I am wondering where it is stored so that I can erase it and dl just the US map (hopefully under 2 gb). And FYI, other users are using external bluetooth gps with Navit.

Shneor
    Shneor
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    FYI, other users are using external bluetooth gps with Navit.

Shneor
    There need to be a misunderstandings. The code for the external BT GPS code is not done jet. Currently Navit only supports the webos internal gps service.

Hape
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    . I am wondering where it is stored so that I can erase it and dl just the US map (hopefully under 2 gb).

Shneor
    In the Navit Maps app just slide your figure from left to right and delete the NA map, then load the US only or the States you need. I am assuming you use Navit Maps now.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    There need to be a misunderstandings. The code for the external BT GPS code is not done jet. Currently Navit only supports the webos internal gps service.

Hape
    Is there an estimate when this feature will be availabe? Is it in development or more like a planned future feature without a fixed time frame?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post
    Is there an estimate when this feature will be availabe? Is it in development or more like a planned future feature without a fixed time frame?
    More a plan without a time frame. We know what needs to be done, but do not have the resources at the moment. I can tell If a C-Developer with some time what needs to be done.

For a first version a small C command line tool that connects to the BT GPS receiver and send the data it get to a Linux pipe should do it.
    Steps are:
    1) Call the webOs APi for the list of BT devices
    2) Search the list for a device with GPS in its name
    3) Connect to this device with a webOs API call
    4) enter the main loop send the data you get from the GPS device to a Linux pipe that Navit can take it from there.

PDK Doku for Service Calls: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...-services.html
    and the Bluetooth API https://developer.palm.com/content/a...bluetooth.html

HaPe
    Last edited by HaPe; 10/09/2011 at 12:07 PM.
    HaPe, thank you very much for the info. I'd like to add that there is a code example to use GPS via Bluetooth on the Palm developers website if someone with coding skills would like to take a look.

Edit: HaPe already posted the link to the Bluetooth API, my bad.
    Last edited by narf; 10/09/2011 at 12:25 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    In the Navit Maps app just slide your figure from left to right and delete the NA map, then load the US only or the States you need. I am assuming you use Navit Maps now.
    US without Alaska and Hawaii is still 2.21 gb, too much. Is the limit for just one map, or the sum of all maps?

Later: Downloaded West map, all is working, looks as though it _was_ the filesize problem.
    Last edited by shneor; 10/09/2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Shneor
  10.    #10  
    US without Alaska and Hawaii is still 2.21 gb, too much. Is the limit for just one map, or the sum of all maps?

Later: Downloaded West map, all is working, looks as though it _was_ the filesize problem.
    Guess I spoke too soon. I also downloaded the South map, then turned Navit on. Again, no map. I notice that the globe has a position near the north pole, that I cannot seem to change. Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but it's's extremely annoying. It's also next to impossible to type a location in using the Navit keyboard. I type in the name of town, and many variations spring up, none of which is my town. Right now, I think Navit is too hard to use. I cannot uncheck anything in the map point menu; I want to uncheck everything. If the esteemed developers are getting anything from my experience so far, I guess that's good.
    Shneor
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I use the Just Type feature to trigger Navit to get started and create bookmarks of interest. You need wifi on to do that as it connects to google maps. This way you put in the exact address anywhere in the world and it give the lat long for Navit to use. The OSM search does not recognize US states as an address, see the webosinternals wiki at Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

BTW its the size of one map on the FAT32 partition called /media, so many maps can add up to more than 2GB.
    While testing with Bluetooth GPS combo's I found that on my Pre2 (v2.1) I am able to connect to an external BT GPS using the GPS Info (v1.0.487, by Karge) app. Except for the initial pairing to my device nothing was needed (my device calls itself "BT GPS").

However, the same app GPS Info on my TouchPad (v3.0.2) does not pickup the same BT GPS.
    Just a note to the developer-to-be...
    I have also already loaded PreGo GPS app on my Pre waiting to be used by my TouchPad!

Thx for all the good work!
    help my map downloader wont load maps to choose from, just says loading maps then show blank screen, o an its on a pre3
    Own/ed: Palm 650, 750, 755p Pre, Pixi, Plus, Pre 2 an Pre 3, 2 HP Touchpad's.