Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi all,

this tread is to introduce a new add on app for Navit. Please post your comment here.

You can find the Navit-Maps app in Preware.

currently it has three function:
    1. Download and maintain your OSM Maps on the device.
    2. Use Navit as the default mapping application (a)
    3. Use Navit with 'just Type' (b)

(a) You can select Navit-Maps as the default mapping app as described here Change the default Mapping application | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net . This will start Navit maps with a special scene when you select a address in your contacts or calendar.
    Navit maps will then try to find a geoposition for the address you selected. It starts Navit to show or route to the address if it only gets one result. You will get a list to select the right one from if Navit Maps get more the one result.

(b) You can select Navit as 'Just type application' as described here Just Type: Add items to Just Type [webOS 2.x] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net . Now start to type the address in card view and select Navit from the application list.
    Navit maps will then try to find a geoposition for the address you typed. It start Navit to show the address if it only gets one result. You will get a list to select the right one from if Navit Maps get more the one result.

That is it for now. We are interested in your feedback.

The Navit-Maps app will only work if you have the latest Navit version and migrate to the latest XML configuration if you have made any manual changes in the nvait.xml

Hape
    Last edited by HaPe; 09/25/2011 at 02:49 PM.
    Trovatore likes this.
    I'm sorry but I don't find that app... I have the webos-internals testing feed and did search for it, but can't find it. Is it somewhere else? OK I am stupid... sry..

Ok after 2 tries I can say that it won't work for me. I tried Western Europe and its starting quite promising. The map gets downloaded and when it reaches the 2 GB then the downloadbar get empty again and nothing happens. Both times the same.

I Tried Benelux now, because its so small, that one worked
    Last edited by Holliefant; 07/22/2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Updated first post to the current status.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    OK, I entered the address I was at yesterday about 1200 km away in Canberra ACT Australia and it jumped to the NAVIT start screen with my current location and then gave me 1181km distance (and 11 hrs of drive time) and started giving directions! I did this both with Just Type and with Contact address. I tried an Hawaiian address and that failed, no surprise, then I used a local address and it worked well. This is a huge jump in capability for NAVIT as it now appears to have street numbers and makes it greatly more functional. If this is truly so some announcement should be made to this effect. Great work.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    OK, I entered the address I was at yesterday about 1200 km away in Canberra ACT Australia and it jumped to the NAVIT start screen with my current location and then gave me 1181km distance (and 11 hrs of drive time) and started giving directions! I did this both with Just Type and with Contact address. I tried an Hawaiian address and that failed, no surprise, then I used a local address and it worked well. This is a huge jump in capability for NAVIT as it now appears to have street numbers and makes it greatly more functional. If this is truly so some announcement should be made to this effect. Great work.
    Yes the house numbers should work now if they are in the OSM maps. This was fixed by the Navit team.
    Do you mean that what should be announced? Keep in mind that it is only in the testing feed until now.

Thanks for the feedback for the gecoding service. Good to here that it wirks in other coubntries too. I was only able to try it from Germany.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Holliefant View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't find that app... I have the webos-internals testing feed and did search for it, but can't find it. Is it somewhere else? OK I am stupid... sry..
    Apparently, so am I. I have the testing feed enabled and I'm not seeing Navit-Maps - where did you find it?

Thanks,
    dj
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbolden View Post
    Apparently, so am I. I have the testing feed enabled and I'm not seeing Navit-Maps - where did you find it?

Thanks,
    dj
    It is in the testing-all feed and it is a Mojo app. Navit is in the testing-arm7 feed as it is a pdk app. Du you have enabeld both testing feeds?

http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-...s/testing/all/

HaPe
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Holliefant View Post

Ok after 2 tries I can say that it won't work for me. I tried Western Europe and its starting quite promising. The map gets downloaded and when it reaches the 2 GB then the downloadbar get empty again and nothing happens. Both times the same.

I Tried Benelux now, because its so small, that one worked
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    It is in the testing-all feed and it is a Mojo app. Navit is in the testing-arm7 feed as it is a pdk app. Du you have enabeld both testing feeds?

Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/

HaPe

Found the problem - i had an error in the testing/all feed URL. it's loading now.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Wow - I like the Contacts & Just Type integration. This pretty much solves the "no States" issue. Thanks!!

dj
    Ok, is there a chance to use this Options as an Legal User of Navit? I've bought Navit but cannot Change to NAvit as the default Mapping application instead of Google Maps.
    Herbert
    Navit is free. Are you talking about NDrive ?
    yes, you are right. I want To use Ndrive as Standard-Mappping-Tool
    Me too for NDrive, but this is the wrong thread for that app :-)
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Me too for NDrive, but this is the wrong thread for that app :-)
    I'm in the nDrive beta test too. It was requested there more then once. I already gave them the needed code. But until now the declined to do it.

Try to request it, perhaps they change there mind.

HaPe
    Hi . Nice and helpful application. Thanks. I found little problem : When I download map for Czech Republic , Navit is not able to use it. It is because of space between words "Czech" and "Republic" . I renamed space to underscore to "Czech_Republic" and now it is working.
    Vit
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post

Try to request it, perhaps they change there mind.

HaPe
    Done :-)
    http://twitter.com/ChasTee/status/97201347224547328
    I just want to say: THANK YOU

I just came back from a short trip from Germany to the Netherlands and used Navit and Navit Maps a lot, and it worked like a Charm. I could not say that I had a better experience with Navigation till now. Really amazing how easy and good that works.
    I love Navit, but one big shortcoming is quickly finding a destination (either by POI or full address). It'd be nice to use the Google Maps app to find the destination (or address) and export this location to Navit to navigate to that address. Would this be possible as a patch or an extension to this program?
    Unrelated to my last post, is the Prefences in the app menu supposed to do anything? When I click it, nothing happens. I have the latest Navit installed on my Pre2 running webOS 2.1. Didn't touch navit.xml. How do I actually set Navit to be the default routing app?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I assume you followed all the instructions in post #1.There is nothing to set yet in preferences in Navit Maps. To get Navit going to a street number address, just type into Just type the actual address such as number, street, city, state, country. When I do that underneath it I get a Quick Actions block of options and a Launch & Search block. Within this 2nd block you see + More... option, Press that and I see the NAVIT icon. So I press that it starts with a list of targets which I select for the right one, or you may have no need to select. Then NAVIT starts with a map and when it gets GPS lock the route is calculated and it starts talking. If I use a Sydney address when I am located in Adelaide it works out the whole 1300 km route.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast