Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    OK, here's an update.

Took it for a good spin yesterday. On the whole it worked great. I did have an issue at one point where the app crashed and then wouldn't load up again. It would try and load and then exit instantly. However, after waiting a few miles down the road and trying again it seemed to come back on with no problems. Speech works great.

I'm very happy with Navit now. It's been so long since I've been able to say that. Not since webOS 1.4 have I been able to use a satnav on my pre, so thank you very much for your hard work.
    Guess what? IT WORKS! The only thing I had to do is disable Google in the Location services app.
    I don't know why, it seems that Google location data has precedence over the GPS.

I did some tests walking yesterday night: First, the inbuilt Bing Maps app, which worked very slowly, but that's because I've exhausted this month's data plan, and I'm on glacial plain 3G speeds to download map tiles.

Next came Navit, which knows how to deal with the famous "GPS bug" that affects everything west side of Greenwich. It worked fine, except for some little degree jumps in orientation. I've had never seen this before, but it might me due to be walking, instead of riding my motorcycle or driving my car.

It also didn't crash like it usually did on me several times. Do you know why it's unable to find many streets, that were indeed found in the previous versions for the original Pre? I'm using exactly the same map files, done by myself in the fantastic Navit Planet Extractor.

Finally, NDrive came and, to my surprise, it indeed works great. I thought it would suffer from the "GPS bug", as it hasn't been updated like Navit.

All these tests were done with several other cards open, and while listening to music. All went smooth in this Pre 3, no glitch, no lag, no nothing. That's impressive, compared to how my poor original Pre struggled to just open a single navigation app, as it was permanently working in swap memory.

Those were heroic times - The Pre 3 is a champion!
    Okay, just updated to the latest Navit 0.5.0 4784M on my Pre3. It is really fast, GPS works fine, and the UI also looks good on the Pre3 now. Well done.

Two issues:

1. The country flag still does not show up, and so I cannot switch to Austria when I try to look up an address. I set my webOS to German, so everything defaults to Germany.
    2. I tried overriding the country with "lang-override", but when I set it to de_AT.utf8 what happens is that Navit comes up in English and then tries to read English instructions using the German text-to-speech engine.

How can I help you to track these down?

Max
    Is there any chance of allowing us to use navit as just a map program on he touchpad. I don't need GPS navigation, I don't have a phone with GPS that I can tether anyway. But it would be nice to have something I could look up directions on when I don't have internet access.

I understand that this is not really the purpose of the app, but most of the functionality seems to there.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garynetfirms View Post
    Is there any chance of allowing us to use navit as just a map program on he touchpad. I don't need GPS navigation, I don't have a phone with GPS that I can tether anyway. But it would be nice to have something I could look up directions on when I don't have internet access.

I understand that this is not really the purpose of the app, but most of the functionality seems to there.
    This is what is working right now. What do you miss? Simply install it an test if it fits your need.

HaPe
    It still has a lot of problems (for me at least). Namely, the image is flipped through the center though the interface is in the "right place" (I know this is the case for portrait mode, and I believe also for landscape...I use it less so I don't remember). I.e. to access a button you have to click on the opposite (through the center) corner to where it appears on the screen. I thought for a while it just didn't work at all until I figured out what was going on. I figured it just wasn't configured yet for the Touchpad at all.

Even once I figured out the orientation issues I still haven't been able to get much in the way of directions to work ( possibly because it is hard to use given the difficulty of telling what button I actually am pressing).

If it matters I have a HP touchpad 16gig with 3.0.2 on it.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I installed the latest Navit. The country selection works great! When you open the country selection, you see the USA flag, when you tap on it, it disappears - fear not my friend because when you type a letter, the flags and names of countries starting with that name appear. Austria too...
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garynetfirms View Post
    It still has a lot of problems (for me at least). Namely, the image is flipped through the center though the interface is in the "right place" (I know this is the case for portrait mode, and I believe also for landscape...I use it less so I don't remember). I.e. to access a button you have to click on the opposite (through the center) corner to where it appears on the screen. I thought for a while it just didn't work at all until I figured out what was going on. I figured it just wasn't configured yet for the Touchpad at all.

Even once I figured out the orientation issues I still haven't been able to get much in the way of directions to work ( possibly because it is hard to use given the difficulty of telling what button I actually am pressing).

If it matters I have a HP touchpad 16gig with 3.0.2 on it.
    Thanks for the information. I didnt used it much on my TP until now, as the support for the external BT GPS receiver needs to be done to make it usable.
    I know now why we didn't revisited the problem. It only happens in portray mode, I use my TP in landscape mode all the time.
    So use Navit in landscape mode, if you what to go testing.

HaPe
    Hi everyone, Sorry if I am just being a complete newbie, but how do you actually get the latest version of Navit for my Pre 3?

I have looked and looked and can't find a link to the working copy. I have Preware installed but the latest version is only 0.5.0.4353-1, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I had installed an earlier version through webOSquickinstaller, which preware updated.

I see people mentioning that v0.5.0.48.... works, yet I am completely unable to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    I installed the latest Navit. The country selection works great! When you open the country selection, you see the USA flag, when you tap on it, it disappears - fear not my friend because when you type a letter, the flags and names of countries starting with that name appear. Austria too...
    Are you running it on a Pre 3? Because on my Pre 3, I do not get any flag. It seems the input field just extends all the way to the far left outside the screen, and flag would be in an unreachable space beyond the left edge of the screen.

I believe I posted a screenshot a few messages above -- see http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post3147845

Max
    Btw, as a workaround I can type addresses into "Just Type ..." and use Navit Maps to set the destination. Was not aware of this feature until today!

Thanks
    Max
    oh and here is my log file...

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just updated to Navit 0.5.0 4786M through the latest Preware update and I can confirm the flags are back on the Pre 3 and I am able to select the country.

Thanks!
    Max
    Quote Originally Posted by americanbrian View Post
    I see people mentioning that v0.5.0.48.... works, yet I am completely unable to find it.
    That one would be in the testing feeds.

Max
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi, we are working to get Navit onto the TP too. We have not started with the OSD, as we have to work on some basic function first. Be welcomed to donate a good looking OSD for Navit on the TP. You can find here how it can be done:
    OSD - Navit's Wiki
    OSD Layouts - Navit's Wiki

Special for the TP we need to find the right solution how to get a GPS Signal. Perhaps we can use the solution with an external BT receiver that Metaview found.

So TP and Pre3 are principal working with the lasted testing release but need some work to be fully functionally.

HaPe
    Thanks for the information. I didnt used it much on my TP until now, as the support for the external BT GPS receiver needs to be done to make it usable.

HaPe
    YES! The TP would be a great GPS navigation system. And Metaview already developed a way for Maptool to get GPS positioning from a BT GPS receiver. I have a Garmin10x receiver that Maptool successfully pairs with and from the thread it looks like it works for most BT GPS. Can't wait for this to work fully on my TP so I don't have to wear reading glasses!

I would be happy to beta test for you guys. :-)
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m-h-k View Post
    Just updated to Navit 0.5.0 4786M through the latest Preware update and I can confirm the flags are back on the Pre 3 and I am able to select the country.

Thanks!
    Max
    I'm glad to hear it works for you now. I would have sent a screenshot before but unfortunately uploading files to precentral forums from my pre3 doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by americanbrian View Post
    Hi everyone, Sorry if I am just being a complete newbie, but how do you actually get the latest version of Navit for my Pre 3?

I have looked and looked and can't find a link to the working copy. I have Preware installed but the latest version is only 0.5.0.4353-1, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I had installed an earlier version through webOSquickinstaller, which preware updated.

Hi, please wait some days. We will push the current version into the Preware feeds soon.
    Current it is only in the beta feed for testing by early adopters.

HaPe
    Ok thanks,

I can wait for a few days. Keep up the good work. A lot of people appreciate it, including me.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Navit-Maps and the corresponding Navit app are now in the standard Preware feeds.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Navit-Maps and the corresponding Navit app are now in the standard Preware feeds.

HaPe
    I just downloaded and installed both and Navit-Maps just freezes and of course without maps, Navit doesn't do much.
    Palm Sprint FrankenPixiPlus at the latest WebOS.
    m100, m125, T/X, 755p, Pixi, FrankenPixi+, Pre, FrankenPre2, TP#1 32GB (WebOS-LunaCE, LunOS & CM11), TP#2 (JCS CM11 only), Nexus 4, ????