Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    what about support for touchpad? Functionally it works but ui is distorted
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkinz View Post
    what about support for touchpad? Functionally it works but ui is distorted
    Hi, we are working to get Navit onto the TP too. We have not started with the OSD, as we have to work on some basic function first. Be welcomed to donate a good looking OSD for Navit on the TP. You can find here how it can be done:
    OSD - Navit's Wiki
    OSD Layouts - Navit's Wiki

Special for the TP we need to find the right solution how to get a GPS Signal. Perhaps we can use the solution with an external BT receiver that Metaview found.

So TP and Pre3 are principal working with the lasted testing release but need some work to be fully functionally.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Just wanted to let you know, that the new 0.5.0 4754M didn't crash while routing this morning.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Last edited by prebaco; 09/05/2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: corrected wrong version
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prebaco View Post
    Just wanted to let you know, that the new 0.5.0 4754M didn't crash while routing this morning.

Cheers
    Stefan
    Thanks. That will make noradtux happy ;-)

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Yep 100% sure. I made a testdrive with the latest build some minutes. The speech output worked without problems.
    Okay, you are right. I took the Pre3 for a testdrive today and sure enough the Navit announcements worked fine through aplay.

Not sure why testing it yesterday from the commandline did not work. Maybe missing the reboot (but I was soooo sure I had restarted the phone...).

Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    paplay is broken in the Pre3 WebOS version. It do not accept input as from a pipe. You can try it with "cat path_to_sound_file.wav | paplay" will give you an error but "cat path_to_sound_file.wav | aplay" will work.
    What is the difference between paplay and aplay anyway?

Max
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I can confirm that aplay worked today when driving with my Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    It would be funny if the update addresses the error in the PDK in 2.1 by switching the values, and the bug was fixed in 2.2 which is now causing the correct values to be reversed. :P
    I'm afraid I think this is exactly what has happened. This week I finally managed to buy a new Pre 3 and 1 week after the latest version of Navit started working on my old Pre 2, I moved to my new Pre 3 only to find the old GPS between 1 and 0 degrees longitude problem is back. Presumeably the PDK bug has been corrected by HP in 2.2, which means the fix which addressed the problem in 2.1 causes the same problem in 2.2!!

It seems to me there are two possible solutions to this:
    a) Release two different versions of Navit for 2.1 (Pre 2) and 2.2 (Pre 3)
    or
    b) Release a version of Navit that can tell whether 2.1 or 2.2 is running and apply the "fix" as appropriate.
    LAst version didn't crash on my Pre3 too, aplay works! Only the bug with the reversed speech-button in the OSD in landscape mode still remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    I'm afraid I think this is exactly what has happened. This week I finally managed to buy a new Pre 3 and 1 week after the latest version of Navit started working on my old Pre 2, I moved to my new Pre 3 only to find the old GPS between 1 and 0 degrees longitude problem is back. Presumeably the PDK bug has been corrected by HP in 2.2, which means the fix which addressed the problem in 2.1 causes the same problem in 2.2!!

It seems to me there are two possible solutions to this:
    a) Release two different versions of Navit for 2.1 (Pre 2) and 2.2 (Pre 3)
    or
    b) Release a version of Navit that can tell whether 2.1 or 2.2 is running and apply the "fix" as appropriate.
    that's not a problem at all. The fix already is version dependant, so I just need to change from 2.1 and later to just 2.1.

[UPDATE]
    It's opposite to what I stated. The bugfix was limited to webOS 2.1, but seems to be needed for 2.2 aswell.
    Last edited by noradtux; 09/07/2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Wow that was quick. Navit now works with sound even the the 0-1 degree longitude range on my Pre 3!
    Hi, I just updated to Navit 0.5.0 4776M (listed as 0.5.0.4776-2 in Preware) on a Pre3. I can see the GUI has been adapted for the larger screen, however when entering an address I can no longer select the country (see screenshot). The Country flag is missing.

Right now I cannot use this version of Navit because I live in Austria and Navit defaults to Germany on my Pre3. Also, I could not get the lang-override to work. I tried putting de_AT.utf8 in there but then Navit switches back to English??

Max
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    "long listener, first time caller..." ;-)

I've been through this and other threads...

1. This is a bit confusing for someone who knows nothing about coding, patches, linux n such... But I was able to get it installed from preware and download the USA map an install into the correct folder..

unfortunately, if after all the posts, webOS internals pages and source forge pages I read it seems..

2. I can't tell it to navigate anywhere... :-( bc with GPS I have to know where I am going and select it. Without GPS it won't won't on my phone... Sigh..

Please lmk if I am wrong. I have a Pre 2 with 2.1 loaded with navit 0.5.0 4353M. It shows a map with a car and my coordinates correctly but a blank circle on top left and a blank rectangle (when I played with it I was able to get it to speak and it showed direction but lord knows I can't seem to get it to take me to any other address).

I want to make this work! I got lost the yesterday taking my daughter to girl scouts camp with stupid google maps, my BRAND NEW TOMTOM was STOLEN on last saturday and my gloating husband won't stop telling to get an android... Ugh! I will pay for ndrive but with all the work put into this by all the devoted programmers I want to make this work :-) if for nothing else to shoe my support and commitment to webOS <3

Thank you!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erykah View Post
    "long listener, first time caller..." ;-)

Please lmk if I am wrong. I have a Pre 2 with 2.1 loaded with navit 0.5.0 4353M. It shows a map with a car and my coordinates correctly but a blank circle on top left and a blank rectangle (when I played with it I was able to get it to speak and it showed direction but lord knows I can't seem to get it to take me to any other address).
    When NAVIT starts and there is no GPS signal you get the blank circle and rectangle. When GPS is found the top of the screen shows quality bars for the signal in green. NAVIT will only start talking when a destination has been set and its trying to get you there. Destinations can be saved with bookmarks. The wiki explains how. So once you get to a frequent destination you can save the location with a name that's appropriate. To set a destination the wiki explains. Once you start getting a series of bookmarks you can make the map go (a bookmark option) to the nearest one to your new destination and push the map around with your finger to get the correct location of your new one.Application:Navit - WebOS Internals You then save it as a new bookmark and set it as the new destination.

The big news recently is the use of the Just Type feature. You just enter the number, street, town state country and NAVIT will ask you to verify if there are multiple locations matching, then start up. This linkApplication:Navit - WebOS Internals explains how.
    If you want miles not kilometers the NAVIT wiki explains how see link Application:Navit - WebOS Internals
    erykah likes this.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    My Touchpad talks after I set a position and then set a destination. Now we just have to get a GPS fix working for navigation :-). My bluetooth GPS unit does connect with the TP and the Palm SPP App test shows the NEMA data readout.
    So, I've been using Navit on my Palm Pre2 for two weeks now.

Version is 0.5.0 4353M.
    Is there any newer version, could not find any in the app catalog or on preware?

Some things I observed:

1) I had severe problems with getting a good GPS signal. Also, sometimes the position jumped around, about 1 km around the real position. I found out that I need to close navit using the "Ende" (is it exit in English?) button instead of just closing it the standard way (moving it off the scree to the top). Since then, it gets the accurate position very quickly. Could it be that Navit is not closed correctly when the "Ende" button is not used, and I end up having multiple instances running that interfere with the GPS receiver? - Just a thought

2) Navit does not seem to interpret the OpenStreetMap (OSM) tag "barrier=bollard". It navigates just through it. That means I end up editing OSM in a way that is not 100% accurate just to ensure Navit will see the road is closed (using the tag "access=private" seems to work).

3) Navit also does not appear to interpret the tags "maxspeed:forward" and "maxspeed:backward". This is needed for roads that have different speed limits for the different directions. It will just use the standard "maxspeed" tag. Of course, in order to use the forward and backward, it needs to interpret the mapping direction of the street in OSM and it needs to know in which direction the car is actually moving.

Overall, I am quite happy with the application, keeping in mind that it is for free and there are people who spend their own time on developping it further.

I also hope that there will be further updates, even though HP has stopped selling devices. There are many happy users and the existing devices will still live many years.
    Last edited by hugo.s; 09/12/2011 at 03:35 AM.
    HaPe, I've just seen the updates to include the GPS fix for the Pre3. I will be testing this tonight as I have to make a long journey in the GPS black zone. If this works I will kick some money your way. Do you want it donated to webOS Internals, or is there a seperate donation thread for your work on Navit?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    The latest Navit 0.5.0 4776M works on Pre 2, Pre 3 and TP with sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    HaPe, I've just seen the updates to include the GPS fix for the Pre3. I will be testing this tonight as I have to make a long journey in the GPS black zone. If this works I will kick some money your way. Do you want it donated to webOS Internals, or is there a seperate donation thread for your work on Navit?
    Confirmed GPS blackspot error is now fixed (or atleast the workaround is now working). Thank you VERY much!
    Someone asked where to find the latest version. So I spent some time digging and found it. According to the rules, it is OK to post this link only: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals

I just tried version 0.5.0 4776M and it crashed when I took a different route than calculated, at the moment when it tried to recalculate.

Does anyone want to look at this and needs logs? If so, I am happy to provide what ever is asked for.
    Last edited by hugo.s; 09/12/2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    first page will be shown but the page navigation arrows aren't available.
    I have the newest version from the testfeed installed.

Cheers
    Stefan