Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Hello folks. I was very interested to try Navit on my 2.1 original GSM Movistar Pre-, so I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago. I carefully red the instructions, and was able to make a map of Madrid, and had it working partially.
    I've had it tracking over the map inside my car just fine, so that GPS problem I've red about seems not to apply for me.
    While I keep on reading this very long thread, I'll put my problems here, hoping you can help me:

- There are two suspectful empty spaces onscreen, I'd say for the speed and other indications, that are always blank (see attached screenshot).

- Many times, when I choose a bookmark and set as position or destination, the application crashes.

- I can't get directions, as the application crashes when I choose a town or street. But, as advised here, I've just updated to version "4438M", and no longer crashes so. I'll try again.

- It doesn't speak at all, even if the speech software seems to be installed for good. Is there some testing application for the text to speech function?

- Out of habit, I did a "back" gesture to get out of the menus, and the application went right away. Is that "normal"? Perhaps it was another crash.

Why is this application so unstable? Can it be that I'm running UberKernel?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 04/25/2011 at 04:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    You have not got a gps lock. That is why it does not speak and that you have missing soaces on the screen. You only get speech when you have a position and destination set up. You must also install via Preware to get the locale and speech files properly installed. Try with the latest version 0.50.0 4446M.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    You have not got a gps lock
    But I had... The map followed my car as I was driving.

That is why it does not speak and that you have missing spaces on the screen.
    Aha. Will try again, now that it doesn't crash (so often :-( ) when choosing a location and destination.

You must also install via Preware to get the locale and speech files properly installed.
    That's what I did. As I said, it seems to be well installed. I have this "Speech dispatcher" icon in the launchbar.

Try with the latest version 0.50.0 4446M.
    That's the version I have, updated just this morning. My previous post quoted the older "4438M", my mistake.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    It works on my Pre- with UK 500/800 and my Pre2.
    Indeed it works! Yesterday Navit "took me home" (as if I forgot how to ;-). Lovely. I even disobeyed it a couple of times, and immediately realized and changed route. Fantastic. Maps are not pretty nor very accurate, but hey, it's amazing value!

Just a single application crash at the start, for no reason, made me realize that it picks exactly what it was doing at the next restart, no need to tell it again position and destination.

I saw turn indications in the previously blank space at the lower left. But the upper left space with that grey circle is still blank. What's it for? I saw speed figures just avobe it, albeit as unreadably small as the top distance and arrival indications.

Does it speak? You should have warned me first! It's voice was almost hilarious, as I immediately recognized that crude, prehistoric synthetic voice coming back from my Commodore 64 in... 1986! I'm surprised things haven't got better in the last twenty five years of computers. ;-) Also, the internal speaker is unable to sound over the regular rolling sound of a car (windows closed, of course).

So nice feature, but useless for me. Perhaps I should add that "Line-in" audio cable to my stock smart Grundig radio (a five dollar DIY affair).

The funniest thing is that Navit actually speaks spanglish! It's very fun listening to things like "at trescientos (three hundred) meters, turn right"! Why is that? I think I should revert to original english, after all the user interface is still wholly in english. What do you think if I say that the english voice sounds as if it came out of a german tin man? That would be actually fine, for my car's home country!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Indeed it works! Yesterday Navit "took me home" (as if I forgot how to ;-). Lovely. I even disobeyed it a couple of times, and immediately realized and changed route. Fantastic. Maps are not pretty nor very accurate, but hey, it's amazing value!
    Yes. But in my area OSM is even better than Google maps. Depends on the quality of community care. You are the one who is able to improve the maps.
    Just a single application crash at the start, for no reason, made me realize that it picks exactly what it was doing at the next restart, no need to tell it again position and destination.
    Yes. It's indeed a memory eater, and your Palm Pre- has limited space. I't quite a good idea to reboot before starting Navit for a longer trip. This way you start with clean and unfragmented RAM and Swap memory. Just the same manoeuvres that worked on the PalmOS dinosaurs making them run Garmin Mobile XT.
    I saw turn indications in the previously blank space at the lower left. But the upper left space with that grey circle is still blank. What's it for? I saw speed figures just avobe it, albeit as unreadably small as the top distance and arrival indications.
    It's the road's speed limit. Showing in green color when you are traveling below, changing to red when your speed rises above speed limit. And saying (in my case in german) "You are to fast!". With this nice Darth Vader synthesized speech. Or is it R2D2? I'm loving it... To work this way, the road needs to be tagged with a speed limit in OSM. If there is none, the field is left empty.
    Does it speak? You should have warned me first! It's voice was almost hilarious, as I immediately recognized that crude, prehistoric synthetic voice coming back from my Commodore 64 in... 1986! I'm surprised things haven't got better in the last twenty five years of computers. ;-)
    Yes. They have gotten better. Ever tried a dash mounted C64 as a navigation tool?
    Also, the internal speaker is unable to sound over the regular rolling sound of a car (windows closed, of course).
    Try to maximize volume as follows, it's a bit tricky: Open Navit. Open music player. While music player card is open, press volume up to the desired level. You see a note in the notification area. Close music player.

Changing volume in Navit just changes ring tone volume (shows a bell in the notification area), not the speech volume. You can also change default volume in one of the XML files.
    So nice feature, but useless for me. Perhaps I should add that "Line-in" audio cable to my stock smart Grundig radio (a five dollar DIY affair).
    Or get some kind of BT speaker. Or BT enabled car radio.
    The funniest thing is that Navit actually speaks spanglish! It's very fun listening to things like "at trescientos (three hundred) meters, turn right"! Why is that? I think I should revert to original english, after all the user interface is still wholly in english. What do you think if I say that the english voice sounds as if it came out of a german tin man? That would be actually fine, for my car's home country!
    Your locale is broken. But ATM I cannot say how to fix this. Searching this thread could probably help.

Carsten
    Last edited by ZehHa; 04/26/2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    in my area OSM is even better than Google maps.
    I already considered the Open Street Maps project very interesting, but what you say is impressive!

You are the one who is able to improve the maps.
    Perhaps I should take a look at how to help, but don't think I have the time or resources to be any useful.

It's indeed a memory eater
    Thanks for those tips. I understand Navit works on my device almost by miracle.

I've learnt quite a lot from the fantastic wiki, and gained a lot of respect for Navit. I've red "navit.log" file, but see nothing interesting. I see several "debug" elements in "navit.xml", all set to zero, though. And more evident, that "log enabled=no"...

the same manoeuvres that worked on the PalmOS dinosaurs
    What dinosaurs? The Palm operating system before the Pre is similar to webOS? Is that age called "pre Pre"?

It's the road's speed limit.
    Oh, thanks for the tip. I bet the speed limit is not informed in the maps are using. Pity of wasted space, but it's understandable.

Ever tried a dash mounted C64 as a navigation tool?
    The only thing stopping me doing so is finding the mandatory DMC Delorean that would be classy enough

Changing volume in Navit just changes ring tone volume, not the speech volume.
    Weird. Wonder why.

Open music player, press volume up to the desired level. You can also change default volume in one of the XML files.
    Nice tip again! But I haven't found anything about volume in the "navit.xml" file. Can it be that "speech" element? It says "type=speech_dispatcher" (as installed alongside Navit, by Preware), "data=100" and "cps=15". I'd bet the "cps" is related to talking speed. But can "data" be volume?

I'm curious about that other, disabled speech engine called "org.webosinternals.espeak"?

Your locale is broken
    I have a file called "lang_override" in "/media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit", which contains exactly "es_ES.utf8" (my assumption for spanish). If it's correct, and spanish can't get any better, I'd remove it, reverting back to english. What do you think?

Also, I'm peeking those funky XML files in "guis" and "osds", drolling at making my own user interface... Any advice I should take? Are there documentation and examples available?
    Try data=200. Should increase the speech volume IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    Try data=200. Should increase the speech volume IIRC.
    Just done:

Code:
    <speech type="speech_dispatcher" data="200" cps="15" />
    I will try another day, because I'm on my motorbike today.

I've also spent some time having fun with the files in "guis", "layouts", "osds" and "vehicle-profiles", and can proudly say that I've broke nothing, Navit still works

My changes are very tame: Removal of unused elements, single car profile, and a couple of strings changed in default GUI.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    jmarcos advice on OSD and gui issues are found with the NAVIT wiki not the webos one. Glad you kept trying and got success. The pre- does struggle but the advice to start with a reboot helps a lot.
    What dinosaurs? The Palm operating system before the Pre is similar to webOS? Is that age called "pre Pre"?
    Just the same company. WebOS was a rewrite from scratch, based on linux, done by Palm after selling PalmOS (and the whole software division) to the Japanese software company Access. PalmOS was a proprietary OS. But focused on mobile devices and easy touchscreen usability. And a big success in those days. Wiped away Apples first mobile device - the Newton. PalmOS had a launcher with icons somewhat comparable to webOS. No userwise accessible multitasking, but multithreading. After moving from filofax to Palm IIIc I was heavily using PalmOS, later on LifeDrive (the real dinosaur), TX and Palm Centro.

Had it's golden times in the last millenium. Pre Pre? Maybe. Or Precambrian, Palaeozoic, don't know. Long time ago!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    advice on OSD and gui issues are found with the NAVIT wiki not the webos one.
    Sure, that's what I was reading yesterday. Great fun, but very complex (two words that go together in computing).

Glad you kept trying and got success. The pre- does struggle but the advice to start with a reboot helps a lot.
    Like in many other times, one can only feel proud of what can this little buddy can achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa
    WebOS was a rewrite from scratch, based on linux, done by Palm after selling PalmOS (and the whole software division) to the Japanese software company Access
    Thankyou for the history lesson, fascinating!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi everybody,
    because I had to transfer many existing waypoints to Navit (on Palm Pre) I wrote a windows-tool which converts geo-coordinates in decimal degree notation to Navit hex-bookmarks and vice versa.
    Since I have no idea, if an application like that could be of any interest to anybody (or if something like this already exists), please let me know if and where I should make that (MS Windows) app available to the community.

cheers
    prebaco
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FWIW, Navit doesn't seem to work on the Veer. I guess that makes sense if it doesn't work on the Pixi. Attempted to download from Preware, everything looked fine, but when I tried to launch it, no new card is popped on the screen. The icon just glows for a second.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    FWIW, Navit doesn't seem to work on the Veer. I guess that makes sense if it doesn't work on the Pixi. Attempted to download from Preware, everything looked fine, but when I tried to launch it, no new card is popped on the screen. The icon just glows for a second.
    Well, in fact it should work on the Veer ... Pixi's problem is probably somewhere in SDL (PDK on Pixi is still beta ..). The Veer on the other hand runs a current version of WebOS. Could you please provide the content of /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/navit.log, if it's there ?
    Maybe that provides a clue what's wrong.

/Norad
    I installed 2.1 on my pre+ last week. I have preware installed but NAVIT does not show up in any of the feeds. The directory and all that is still on the phone from the previous install (before I upgraded from 1.4.5 to 2.1) Maybe preware thinks it is still installed?

Thanks
    never Mind found it
    Am I the only one having serious troubles connecting to the satellites with this thing?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    @jbg7474: I was able to get Navit working on my Veer. Didn't do anything special, just followed the instructions on the wiki page.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    How do I install version 0.50.0.4446M ? The one I get from preware is 0.5.0.4353M. Is there a particular feed I'm missing ?