Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGP View Post
    Further to my previous post about not being about to get the correct GPS fix with Navit in certain areas:

When I use Navit east of a certain longitude (it seems to be 1 deg 0' 0" W), the GPS reports my position as being about 150miles to the east of where I am. This seems to be consistent with different phones and different versions of the UK OpenStreetMap. It also occurs with the beta app "mapp" but not with Google Maps or Trapster. When I am west of this line, Navit reports my position accurately even when I am in a very rural and isolated area like rural parts of Wales. The app GPSInfo reports my position correctly wherever I am. I never used to get this problem with webOS 1.5.4 so I presume this is still the GPS bug reported about in webOS 2.xx

Could it be that Navit running on webOS 2.xx fails to correctly read longitudes with values between 1.0 and -1.0 (between 1 degree West and 1 degree East)? If so, it might also struggle with latitudes between one degree north and south of the equator. Anyone on the equator able to confirm this?
    Anyone using Navit within one degree of the Grenwich meridian or equator able to confirm this?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    ... as they probably know the difference between BE and NL speech. I have no idea as an Aussie, although may be I will find out in two weeks time when I go to WW1 battlefields in BE, and Rotterdam NL, then onto USA to get my Palm Palm Pre 2.
    Hey PreRunr, for your interest:
    In the Netherlands (NL), the country of GuyFromNam, they speak Dutch (nl). So he's taking the nl_NL files in Navit
    In Belgium (BE), my country, there is a Dutch (nl) speaking part ("Flanders"), a French (fr) speaking part ("Wallonia") and a little German (de) speaking part.
    I'm speaking Dutch, so I'm activating the nl_BE files in Navit.
    The WW1 battlefields are also in "Flanders", the Dutch speaking part of Belgium.
    I'm using Navit in the UK, where we drive on the left hand side of the road.

In general Navit understands our LH driving correctly. I assume it gets this from the map data.

When approaching a roundabout and wanting to take the left turn, Navit will correctly say "take the first exit".

However the icon picture of the exit will wrongly show that you need to drive anti clockwise around the roundabout taking the last exit, rather than correctly driving clockwise around and taking the first exit.

Don't know if anyone else has reported this?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Its been reported. Ticket #459. The pictures for both ways are at the Navit site. See http://maps4.navit-project.org/roundabouts/ for UK ones, there is a tar at the bottom as a quick fix! On the Pre this says where they are icon_src="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/xpm/%s_wh_48_48.png". Also note r4348: Fixed roundabout exit announcements. Obviously this is more important than the picture as you should be looking out the window for your exit at roundabouts!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I'm using Navit in the UK, where we drive on the left hand side of the road.

In general Navit understands our LH driving correctly. I assume it gets this from the map data.

When approaching a roundabout and wanting to take the left turn, Navit will correctly say "take the first exit".

However the icon picture of the exit will wrongly show that you need to drive anti clockwise around the roundabout taking the last exit, rather than correctly driving clockwise around and taking the first exit.

Don't know if anyone else has reported this?
    Yes, I've just installed Navit and saw that too! Will be handy when driving on mainland europe - at least I'll go round the right way. But not a good idea for those driving for the first time in the UK !
    I installed Navit, loaded maps successfully, and edited the start location and the maps set in the navit.xml file.

I can launch Navit ok, it picks up my GPS location OK (slight delay sometimes but nothing unusual with GPS), I can enter a destination OK and the navigation on screen seems to work just fine (apart from showing I should drive the wrong way round a roundabout in the UK ).

But, I have one exception - I can't get the speech to work!

I know that Navit has installed speech-dispatcher as it is showing up in my apps list and I have the 'red-lips' button (I'm assuming that is all that is required to get speech to work). But thats about as far as I've got.

On my searches I've found various posts saying to check speech-dispatcher is working first outside of Navit by 'opening a terminal' and/or entering a command beginning 'spd-' but I'm not a really deep technical person so this is a little outside of my experience. I am capable of following instructions however and can pick up technical stuff fairly quickly, so is there a more basic guide to troubleshooting the speech side of things?

Thanks in advance

S
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre2sdrb View Post
    I installed Navit, loaded maps successfully, and edited the start location and the maps set in the navit.xml file.

I can launch Navit ok, it picks up my GPS location OK (slight delay sometimes but nothing unusual with GPS), I can enter a destination OK and the navigation on screen seems to work just fine (apart from showing I should drive the wrong way round a roundabout in the UK ).

But, I have one exception - I can't get the speech to work!

I know that Navit has installed speech-dispatcher as it is showing up in my apps list and I have the 'red-lips' button (I'm assuming that is all that is required to get speech to work). But thats about as far as I've got.

On my searches I've found various posts saying to check speech-dispatcher is working first outside of Navit by 'opening a terminal' and/or entering a command beginning 'spd-' but I'm not a really deep technical person so this is a little outside of my experience. I am capable of following instructions however and can pick up technical stuff fairly quickly, so is there a more basic guide to troubleshooting the speech side of things?

Thanks in advance

S
    Just a hint... have you checked sound volume? Last week I wanted to show Navit in action to my friend and to demonstrate him how Navit speaks Czech and ... it didn't speak. After a while I managed I had the "application" volume set to zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by tengler View Post
    Just a hint... have you checked sound volume? Last week I wanted to show Navit in action to my friend and to demonstrate him how Navit speaks Czech and ... it didn't speak. After a while I managed I had the "application" volume set to zero.
    I've checked in all the places I could think of as well as the main volume control, but I couldn't find a sound setting within Navit itself though. Is there one?

Sounds are working fine on other applications

Where did you find the setting to change the "application volume"?

S
    I've checked in all the places I could think of as well as the main volume control, but I couldn't find a sound setting within Navit itself though. Is there one?

Sounds are working fine on other applications

Where did you find the setting to change the "application volume"?

S
    The "application volume" control is the same as the music volume control. The easiest way to adjust it is to open the Music Player and use the side buttons to ensure the volume is turned up. The notes symbol by the volume indicator tell you it's the music volume control (as opposed to the ring tone volume or the system sounds volume both of which are controlled through Sounds and Ringtones). If you use the side buttons when Navit is running it adjusts the ringtone volume (with the bell symbol) which has no effect on the volume of Navit announcements.
    Last edited by PreGP; 03/21/2011 at 01:59 PM.
    OK, checked volume in music player app and it is set to maximum so it wasn't that. But thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else point me to some steps to troubleshoot the Navit Sound issue?

Thanks

S
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    The main display has a sound on and off button just below the zoom "-" button, hopefully that had not been pressed!
    The main display has a sound on and off button just below the zoom "-" button, hopefully that had not been pressed!
    Wondered if that was the problem but pressing that simply exits the app!

What does it look like in the 'off' setting? Mine shows a highlighted white ring around it and the speaker shows 'sound waves' coming out of it like this ))) which to me looks like it is 'on'.

Just on case it's relevant, I'm on a Pre2 with WebOS version 2.1.0 running

S
    double post - deleted
    Somehow I've now got sound working - but no idea how!

I completely deleted & reinstalled Navit a few times. At one point I installed a couple of homebrew patches which increased sound volume on the speakers but my Pre2 started misbehaving shortly after (cannot confirm that it was anything to do with those patches though), so I removed those & reinstalled Navit again.

Lots of deletions & reinstalls plus lots of restarts & in-and-out of developer mode.

And finally, it started working!

I have to say that everyone in the car was in fits of laughter when the male voice started booming out - he sounded a little like an updated version of Stephen Hawkins the morning after he'd been on a drinking session!

Navigation seemed to be working ok. A few interesting twists in the english voice directions: missed announcing a couple of turns for some reason (I knew where I was going anyway so wasn't a problem this time) and some unusual choice of phrases (e.g. announcing an 'A' road in the UK it called it the "A-one-hundred-and-twenty-three" rather than the "A-one-two-three").

I also noticed that when selecting a POI for the destination (in this case a restaurant) the actual names of the POIs were at the right hand end of a lot of text (which didn't really mean much to me). This meant that a large part of the actual recognizable POI name was missing off the RH side of the screen (I couldn't see a scroll bar).

It seemed to be functioning well though and in the absence of a full commercial app such as tom-tom, it is great to see Navit being made available. Many thanks to the team who are developing it; I'm sure it isn't easy, so great work - much appreciated!

S
    Its been reported. Ticket #459. The pictures for both ways are at the Navit site. See Index of /roundabouts for UK ones, there is a tar at the bottom as a quick fix! On the Pre this says where they are icon_src="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/xpm/%s_wh_48_48.png". Also note r4348: Fixed roundabout exit announcements. Obviously this is more important than the picture as you should be looking out the window for your exit at roundabouts!
    Thanks.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Just wondering if there is a way to change the Speech-Dispatcher voice to female?

I found some instructions relating to other speech handlers (e.g. eSpeak) but they didn't seem to match the speech-dispatcher xml line so wasn't sure if they were valid.

S
    Just wondering if there is a way to change the Speech-Dispatcher voice to female?

I found some instructions relating to other speech handlers (e.g. eSpeak) but they didn't seem to match the speech-dispatcher xml line so wasn't sure if they were valid.

S
    I am affraid that different voices are not implemented in Speech Dispatcher yet even the options for changing the voice are there (as far as I remember there are options to select three male, three female and two child voices). I tried to run it from command line (via terminal) and managed to make it speak different languages. But changing the voice have no effect.
    It drives me angry but I can't get tengler's "language patch" working! :-(

I made a *.txt file called "lang-override.txt", put into it code "cs_CZ.utf8" and copy this txt file into /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit.

Then I launch Navit and nothing has changed...again US as a default country and of course, "voice navigation" is in English....

My Pre2 is running on WebOS 2.1.0, Czech is set in regional settings, menu language of course set to English....can't find any mistake which can be done...

And independently of me my colleague has completely the same problem with her Pre2...please help... :-(
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Hi

I recently installed Navit on my Pre Plus running WebOS 2.1 and Uberkernel Screenstate 500/800. I added maps and all, but when i try to open the app, the card opens black for a moment, then closes itself... Anyone else having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by xkovi View Post
    It drives me angry but I can't get tengler's "language patch" working! :-(

I made a *.txt file called "lang-override.txt", put into it code "cs_CZ.utf8" and copy this txt file into /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit.

Then I launch Navit and nothing has changed...again US as a default country and of course, "voice navigation" is in English....

My Pre2 is running on WebOS 2.1.0, Czech is set in regional settings, menu language of course set to English....can't find any mistake which can be done...

And independently of me my colleague has completely the same problem with her Pre2...please help... :-(
    The filename must not be "lang-override.txt" but "lang-override"