Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    That's right the last time I tried. You can correct that via the OSM website by getting it tagged.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    That's right the last time I tried. You can correct that via the OSM website by getting it tagged.
    Are you refering to this?

OpenStreetMap - Navit's Wiki
    Search doesn't work in most countries

This is because maptool only knows about a few is_in tags. To fix this, look for a reliable is_in tag in the towns in your country. If there is none, contact us, we have some scripts which can help adding one in this case. Then add the tag (at most 3 per country) to this page. Unfortunately using the country border for detecting the membership of a town also isn't an option, because the boundaries are usually not closed or wrong.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Edit directly with the OSM project not via Navit. Start here I think Haarlem, NL - OpenStreetMap Wiki and here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Taglace%3Dtown. I think I have added the town name OK into OSM.
    Edit directly with the OSM project not via Navit. Start here I think Haarlem, NL - OpenStreetMap Wiki and here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Taglace%3Dtown. I think I have added the town name OK into OSM.
    Thanks. That's weird though.
    For instance; on OpenStreetMap, Haarlem is clearly marked "Stad (city) Haarlem, Noord-Holland, Nederland, Europe".
    Doesn't that mean it's indexed correctly already in OSM?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Sorry I tried to make it a town not a city. I tried to find a definition for Haarlem but couldn't, not OSM expert enough. I agree, that if it is there why does it not appear? Maybe the local roads need to have a Haarlem connection/tag?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Sorry I tried to make it a town not a city. I tried to find a definition for Haarlem but couldn't, not OSM expert enough. I agree, that if it is there why does it not appear? Maybe the local roads need to have a Haarlem connection/tag?
    Hi PreRunr an all others. Yes the lack of cities in the search is a problem how the OSM data is organized and maintained. There are some continues discussions about this in the Navit IRC chat.

Keep two things in mind:
    1) The OSM maps are made by everybody how is willing to help. There are rules how you should tag a rote or enter a city. But if the user do not add the needed information, then you will not find it in the index. This is the tag that needs to be set for a street/city to get into the Navit search index: Key:is in - OpenStreetMap Wiki
    2) The map conversion try's to connect a street to a city by a radius that is dependent on the size of the city. This will not fit in any case, but it is a start.
    3) OSM is switching to a new schema, away from the is_in tags to polygons that are defined for a city. The use of that new function in not implemented in the converter right now. Also the new polygons are not defined for every city. OSM tags for routing - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Here are some discussion about this with a nice explanation: City Borders (Page 1) / users: Israel / OpenStreetMap Forum

For this reasons the OSM maps are as they are. Check the is_in TAG If you need some cities and not able to find them on the OSM website. It should find its way its the planetextractor maps, if it is missing and you add it on the OSM side.

HaPe
    Thank you for your reply.

Let me be clear. I am VERY IMPRESSED by how far you have taken this - especially as it is as you said - "a hobby".

I will be following the updates and looking for the UI improvements I know you are working on. I look forward to them.

If I feel I have any useful feedback to give, I will.

Thanks again. This is a great project!
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoinmypocket View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

Let me be clear. I am VERY IMPRESSED by how far you have taken this - especially as it is as you said - "a hobby".

I will be following the updates and looking for the UI improvements I know you are working on. I look forward to them.

If I feel I have any useful feedback to give, I will.

Thanks again. This is a great project!
    Keep in mind that we only to the port to the PalmPre. Navit is developed and maintained by the Navit team at Contacts - Navit's Wiki
    The best way to contact them is the forum or the IRC chat.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    So the tagging is due to OSM, not to navit. I donīt wanna mess with the maps though... Luckily i spend most of my time in quite-completely-mapped Germany :-).
    Special thanks go to HaPe for making this possible! And of course everyone who replied.
    In trying to add a US state map, the Navit program is no longer running.

What are the steps to completely remove & reinstall the Navit program? I tried to delete all of the navit,bookmark files in the appdata folder, but after deleting & reinstalling navit, none of these files in the appdata folder were reinstalled.

thank you in advance. I am very pleased with your progress, thus far.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    That's puzzling, I installed the update to 0.2.0 3690-1 this morning, and it works fine. I first backed up and then removed all the *.xml files to try out HaPe's new layout. No need now to delete Navit ever again once you get a successful working version as Preware handles that. Installed OK using Preware and then put back my modifications to the xml files. I am going to try making a Navit update app to do this .xml editing for future upgrades. Might be useful for us all. I also updated the windows version and it works OK. Tested both versions which are OK with my Hawaii map (going there in three weeks). There is no need to remove the *.txt files, put them back, as they remember your last use and your bookmarks.

If you now want than one map, study the wiki page to enable multiple maps. I have 2 garmin and five OSM maps in two subdirectories. Before deleting files read the last entries in your navit.log file, they can explain why your new map is failing to work.
    Is there a user guide or something for this. I have it downloaded & it works, showing me my City in Arizona. But how do I type a destination/address so it can give me the directions of where I want to go?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Three methods are given here ==> Application:Navit - WebOS Internals
    They are via country, town street, GPS on map, and entries in Bookmarks.
    Just curious, but has anyone had any experience of running Navit on a Pre 2?
    Yep, runs just fine....
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    Yep, runs just fine....
    I am able to browse the map on my PRE 2, but it is not accessing GPS data - under actions the car location is always 0 0'0", 0 0' 0". Does anyone now what could be wrong ?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlada13 View Post
    I am able to browse the map on my PRE 2, but it is not accessing GPS data - under actions the car location is always 0 0'0", 0 0' 0". Does anyone now what could be wrong ?
    Thanks for the feedback. We know about this problem. The call to get the GPS data is not working on WebOS2. More exact, the PDK service call to register the callback for the GPS data gives an error.
    We hope that we can fix this as soon as the WebOS2.0 SDK is available.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Yep, runs just fine....
    Do you get GPS position? All feedback I have until now is the it is running, but now GPS data. You see the error in the navit.log file when navit starts.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Do you get GPS position? All feedback I have until now is the it is running, but now GPS data. You see the error in the navit.log file when navit starts.

HaPe
    Yes, i see my position, 51'48'45'"N 5'16'21"E Also Navit does display the map
    an the correct street etc. Not sure how Navit works though. I have major issues navigating through Navits menus...
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post

HaPe
    Navit installed fine on webOS 2.0.1. Starts up. I can look in the maps I downloaded.
    But indeed no GPS fix! Car location stays always 0 0'0", 0 0' 0"
    Navit log started
    vehicle_webos:vehicle_webos_open:PDL_ServiceCallWithCallback failed

Yes, i see my position, 51'48'45'"N 5'16'21"E Also Navit does display the map
    an the correct street etc.
    Richard, did you use ebag33's gps-fix?
    I did not yet try this.