Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    You find them in preware. The install of Navit installs speech dispatcher which is an interface to espeak. There should only be one set of "red lips" in the launcher when its set up. There is a speech on-off icon on your map screen make sure its "on" and turn up the volume while on that screen.
    I am still unable to obtain speech directions.

I deleted Navit, then the speech dispatcher, then reinstalled both. Under the launcher, List of Applications, Navit v0.2.0 is listed. Speech Dispatcher v0.7.1-6 is listed but the text is grey.

Is there any particular order to installing the speech dispatcher & Navit? The only "red lips" I saw is the listing on Preware before I installed it. There is nothing on my map except for a speaker/microphone icon on the right side of the map. What is the purpose of the icon below the speaker?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precal.hdh View Post
    I am still unable to obtain speech directions.

I deleted Navit, then the speech dispatcher, then reinstalled both. Under the launcher, List of Applications, Navit v0.2.0 is listed. Speech Dispatcher v0.7.1-6 is listed but the text is grey.

Is there any particular order to installing the speech dispatcher & Navit? The only "red lips" I saw is the listing on Preware before I installed it. There is nothing on my map except for a speaker/microphone icon on the right side of the map. What is the purpose of the icon below the speaker?

Any help would be appreciated.
    What bad luck you are having! "Speech Dispatcher v0.7.1-6 is listed but the text is grey." That is a concern its not grey on mine. If both have truly been removed then preware does the job in one go by choosing Navit. You get no map either? I thought that you previously had one. Speech does not start until a GPS fix is obtained (and therefore you have a position) and a destination selected. It needs to know where it is and where you want to go first. If your position is on a map you will see the map. Then also the blank boxes (red and white) on the screen fill up with directions and data.

"What is the purpose of the icon below the speaker?" This is the route display. When you choose it you get a big fat blue trace from position to destination, the map zooms out to show this.
    Thanks for the reply.

Preware has the Speech Dispatcher as a separate install. I thought that Navit only installs it's own program + "espeak". Maybe I should remove everything again and just install the Navit program by itself.

Yes, I do have a map. Using Verizon and it's very poor GPS for Palm, it's had to determine whether it's the GPS or Navit problem. I am able to set a destination and Navit will tell me on the screen when I arrive at this destination.

I also modified the navit.xml file earlier to the following:

<!-- Navit provides speech output in text format.
    If you have a speech synthesizer like festival lite installed, you can get turn by turn directions out of navit. Please set the "cps"-value to how many characters your tts engine approximately speaks per second.
    The default is text output to the shell -->
    <!-- <speech type="cmdline" data="echo '%s'" cps="15"/>-->
    <speech type="cmdline" data="/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.espeak/espeak '%s'" cps="15"/>
    <!--<speech type="cmdline" data="flite -t '%s'"/> -->
    <speech type="speech_dispatcher" data="100" cps="15" />

I'm not sure whether I should have taken the comments out of both the "speech dispatcher" & "espeak" lines.

thanks again.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by precal.hdh View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I also modified the navit.xml file earlier to the following:

<!-- Navit provides speech output in text format.
    If you have a speech synthesizer like festival lite installed, you can get turn by turn directions out of navit. Please set the "cps"-value to how many characters your tts engine approximately speaks per second.
    The default is text output to the shell -->
    <!-- <speech type="cmdline" data="echo '%s'" cps="15"/>-->
    <speech type="cmdline" data="/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.espeak/espeak '%s'" cps="15"/>
    <!--<speech type="cmdline" data="flite -t '%s'"/> -->
    <speech type="speech_dispatcher" data="100" cps="15" />

I'm not sure whether I should have taken the comments out of both the "speech dispatcher" & "espeak" lines.

thanks again.
    Only the line "<speech type="speech_dispatcher" data="100" cps="15" />" comment out or delete the old espeak line. It will not work. That was only for the version of Webos before 1.4.5.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Like I said speech dispatcher is the interface to espeak so you must use it not espeak.
    OK. I thought Navit loads espeak...my error.

As an update, everything worked this morning but the speech. I'll change the navit.xml tonight.

One interesting point: I told you the other day that, on the list of applications, the speech dispacher was "greyed out". I swiped that application, it gave me a choice of delete & show. I pressed show, and the speech dispacher is now listed in black.

Thanks again.
    WOW!

I truly appreciate the amount of work this "project" has taken - and will continue to take - not to mention the patience to answer so many redundant questions. I particularly appreciate the restraint shown - over and over and over and over again - in answering the questions of people who simply didn't read the instructions carefully.

My hat is off to you all.

That being said, I finally had to delete this app. In the current state, this app is still way to manual a process and simple tasks are arduous to complete.

Don't get me wrong - I understand the reasons - but this is simply a case of "why would I put myself through all this effort to get a marginal result".

I followed all the instructions - scrutinized the forum and wiki for tidbits I missed (could get a map to load, no spoken directions, downloading maps, etc.) and got it all loaded and functioning properly only to set up a navigation...and have the crappy English speaking voice so poorly garble the instructions (and at way to low a volume even with everything maxed out) to make this practical.

I know lots of people will disagree with me here but the useability of the end product makes this too much trouble to trifle with. It all just comes across as amatuerish (even though I know the effort and expertise to create it and make it this functional is the exact opposite of amatuer execution).

Navit has tremendous potential and I will follow its development in the hope that I will want to try using it again. I also wish the development team all the luck in the world in achieving your goals in creating the app.

Some observations that you can take (or not) on their merits:

-the Navigation/Driving directions interface would be much more rewarding if one could input start point and end point via typing addresses, POI names or something like that -all in one screen. The scrolling over a map (in GPS mode) or all the additional steps in non-gps mode, back and forth bookmarking, car icon to globe icon and back again, etc., is simply mind-numbing.

-the "car dark" mode makes much of the text on the various screens nearly impossible to read.

-the color scheme - in particular the pink - is very muddy and has a tendency to obscure details a user is trying to read,

-street name text resizes down too much as you zoom in to read it. This makes it hard for anyone without perfect vision to read (my vision is 20/30). I actually have this same complaint about GoogleMaps so it isn't just Navit.

In the end, the success of commercial navigation systems (both in-dash and portable) rests on one simple truth - is my time more valuable then the cost of purchasing a slick, intuitive, functional product that I can just use without having to think about it?

The answer for a number of years now has been "yes". Until Navit reaches some reasonable approximation of that equation - useability vs time required to use it - it will only find viability with precious few whose fascination with the fact that they can do this at all (for free & on their own phone) outweighs the investment of their time to do so. This is the same paradigm that restricted the growth of Linux for so long, keeps environmentally friendly cars of all ilks from selling in market making numbers, and so on. If the functionality that already exists in the marketplace is superior and perceived as affordable by a substantial number of people then a competing product - no matter how free, environmentally friendly or tingle inducing - will not be readily adopted in any significant way.

On the plus side I found the tracking of my movements to be very smooth and accurate, the options for the mode of travel useful and practical.

Please take my criticisms as constructive as this is my intent. Good luck with the rest of this noble project!
    Last edited by Treoinmypocket; 11/07/2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarity
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoinmypocket View Post
    That being said, I finally had to delete this app. In the current state, this app is still way to manual a process and simple tasks are arduous to complete.

Don't get me wrong - I understand the reasons - but this is simply a case of "why would I put myself through all this effort to get a marginal result".

I followed all the instructions - scrutinized the forum and wiki for tidbits I missed (could get a map to load, no spoken directions, downloading maps, etc.) and got it all loaded and functioning properly only to set up a navigation...and have the crappy English speaking voice so poorly garble the instructions (and at way to low a volume even with everything maxed out) to make this practical.

I know lots of people will disagree with me here but the useability of the end product makes this too much trouble to trifle with. It all just comes across as amatuerish (even though I know the effort and expertise to create it and make it this functional is the exact opposite of amatuer execution).

Navit has tremendous potential and I will follow its development in the hope that I will want to try using it again. I also wish the development team all the luck in the world in achieving your goals in creating the app.
    Hi,
    I can understand all your concerns complete and I'm totally with you. For me there are two points why I work on the Project:
    1) Fun and development interesting
    2) The lack of a good on board navigation system for WebOS. Here in Germany we had no other chance until we got the O2 navi. I tested it and I'm back to Navit as it don't fits my needs. The only good point is that it integrates traffic information.

If I would be able to buy a TomTom for Webos as on board Navi solution I would do it without asking. Even if it would be 20 Euro or more. I had TomTom 6 on PalmOS and loved it.

On big point for and me is the usability. You are right Navit has not the best UI, but keep in mind it is done by hobby programmers in spare time. We only port what the Navit team created and adopted the UI as good as possible.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    hi,
    i'm on a german pre and currently in barcelona. I got the "whole europe map" on it, However, navit does not find the city of barcelona if i want it to navigate somewhere in the city. I can choose the country, spain, and some towns but barcelona seems not to exist. I don't know about other towns in other countries, but it finds all german towns and cities. I remember reading something about a "locale file"... Do i need to change the language to spanish?
    please help me.
    After several unsuccessful tries to getthe speech to work on Navit, it finally works1 I made 2 changes: I was using a large .bin map...2gb. I changed to using a map of my US state which was a lot smaller. I also changed the navit.xml line from "follow=1" to "follow=3". One of these revisions did the trick.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hartmund View Post
    hi,
    i'm on a german pre and currently in barcelona. I got the "whole europe map" on it, However, navit does not find the city of barcelona if i want it to navigate somewhere in the city. I can choose the country, spain, and some towns but barcelona seems not to exist. I don't know about other towns in other countries, but it finds all german towns and cities. I remember reading something about a "locale file"... Do i need to change the language to spanish?
    please help me.
    No you do not need to change locale, but you do change the country via the town select menu. When you start ACTIONS>TOWN you will see a small flag in the top RH corner, in your case I guess a DE flag. Touch it and it will go away then type Sp or whatever the country you desire touch the country name until you have the flag in the corner. Then choose Barcelona. Note the virtual keyboard can be removed by touching the down triangle in the bottom middle row.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    thank you, but i already knew about that. That's the weird thing. I choose spain but i can't find barcelona. I wonder if someone else tries it, if he/she can't find barcelona either. Of course i can find it on the map and it shows me the correct position.
    thank you, but i already knew about that. That's the weird thing. I choose spain but i can't find barcelona. I wonder if someone else tries it, if he/she can't find barcelona either. Of course i can find it on the map and it shows me the correct position.
    Pues entonces no lo leiste bien todo!
    I asked the same question a while back and here's the answer I got:

Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    The reason is the OSM Map. Navit can not get a street into his index if the definition to which city a street belongs is missing in the OSM data.
    If this is the case then you can find the street by scrolling the map but you will not find it in the index. As fare as i know the Navit team is searching for a solution to fix it, but have no idea how fare they are.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Using an OSM bin map of Barcelona, you will see I can select to go to La Rambla, from the airport. Note the Spanish flags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    thank you all for your replies.
    @prerunr: where did you get that map from? I tried it with using the planet extractors barcelona map only, too but there was the same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Using an OSM bin map of Barcelona, you will see I can select to go to La Rambla, from the airport. Note the Spanish flags.
    OK, I checked this on my Pre. I activated a map of Spain, and Barcelona does not pop up in the list as it does in your map.

Where did you get that map? Here?
    Navit :: Planet Extractor
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    OK, I checked this on my Pre. I activated a map of Spain, and Barcelona does not pop up in the list as it does in your map.

Where did you get that map? Here?
    Navit :: Planet Extractor
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi,
    I can understand all your concerns complete and I'm totally with you. For me there are two points why I work on the Project:
    1) Fun and development interesting
    2) The lack of a good on board navigation system for WebOS. Here in Germany we had no other chance until we got the O2 navi. I tested it and I'm back to Navit as it don't fits my needs. The only good point is that it integrates traffic information.

If I would be able to buy a TomTom for Webos as on board Navi solution I would do it without asking. Even if it would be 20 Euro or more. I had TomTom 6 on PalmOS and loved it.

On big point for and me is the usability. You are right Navit has not the best UI, but keep in mind it is done by hobby programmers in spare time. We only port what the Navit team created and adopted the UI as good as possible.

HaPe
    Please, please, PLEASE don't stop the good work. I was overjoyed when I first saw this come out and although I had a few initial issues with it, it has been brilliant in my car. Considering the complexities of a SatNav application, I think you have done a superb job bringing this to people in countries that do not have anything else.

I also used to have TomTom on my Zire 71 and it was great. I was so disappointed when I found out I couldn't have it on WebOS.

Still, I just wanted to say thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Yes.
    Sorry, I tested it on a custom map I had of North Western Spain.
    I tested it on the complete Iberia map and Barcelona does show up in the list.

However, could someone test the following location:
    City: Haarlem

It's not in the index right?