Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Ok, I have a garmin map and I enabled it in navit.xml, but I get an error message in the log from the garmin subsystem that the file wasn't found. I did a copy and paste from the "bin" file section and changed the file name and the map type to "garmin". I disabled the "bin" section, but no luck. I tried the garmin map using an SD card in two different nuvi 660 without problems, so I know that the maps are not locked. Anyone try a garmin map successfully?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketAcesDMB View Post
    how many gb is the US Map ?
    Depends for example Cloudmade says north_america.navit.bin.zip (1667.8M)
    You can get prepacked states here CloudMade Downloads
    for example # texas.navit.bin.zip (123.7M)
    I downloaded the pre packaged 48 state us map, it came in at ~1.8gb

Edit* Because there's no state listing in the town search, i highly recommend you only download your immediate area of interest since all that 1.8gb will do is clutter your entry with indecipherable towns.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noradtux View Post
    But let us know, when a locale is missing, so we can add it to the "official" package.
    A no brainer to install but en_AU.utf8 would be nice.
    The hard part is getting the Pre to recognize it. The language setting is not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by pantiko View Post
    Hi

Being using Navit for a month or so and I must say it gets better after each update... It grabs satellites quite fast (much faster than the IGO app I used on my HTC Diamond), but I think it still has some work needed to be totally usable

Got some questions and some issues... Iīll start with the issues

1. When selecting a destination it never picks the shortest nor the fastest route... Actually it picks the longest and most bizarre one, to the point that even if Iīm driving the shortest route it will keep telling me to turn around to pick the route he chose until Iīm getting close to destination, then he picks the right route

2. Language is in german I think, except for the distance which he says in spanish (just the numbers)...My phone is set to spanish...I would love to get directions fully in spanish

3. I see no major difference between 2D and 3D... is there some way to change the pitch angle of the map to get some more depth

4. Sometimes he wonīt let me pick a street as destination that does appear depicted in the map (like my home street, itīs in the map, but itīs like if it isnīt in the database)

Now with the questions:

1. At which stage of the project are you guys actually at? I say this because I can see there is some room for improvement regarding interface, specially with menus... Please donīt take this the wrong way, I really appreciate your work and the efforts put into it, itīs just that it looks like youre living that for the end of the project

2. How can I put the map in landscape mode?

Thatīs all I can think of for now...Please keep up this great work
    Well, to the first question (and the above statements) I can just say that we don't actually develop Navit, that is done by the guys at Navit - Car navigation system. We just take their stuff and make it run on webOS
    To the second question: You can't. It used to somewhat work on webOS 1.4.1, but Palm disabled support for this (they never officially supported it in the first place). But since their PDK environment is still in beta we will see what the future might bring
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    1. When selecting a destination it never picks the shortest nor the fastest route... Actually it picks the longest and most bizarre one, to the point that even if Iīm driving the shortest route it will keep telling me to turn around to pick the route he chose until Iīm getting close to destination, then he picks the right route
    Check with the original Navit team. We only do a port to the Pre => Contacts - Navit's Wiki

2. Language is in german I think, except for the distance which he says in spanish (just the numbers)...My phone is set to spanish...I would love to get directions fully in spanish
    Try installing again. You should get everything in the language (UI and spech) of your device or in english if the language is currently not supported.

3. I see no major difference between 2D and 3D... is there some way to change the pitch angle of the map to get some more depth
    Check the pitch parameter in "appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/navit.xml".
    The initial view (pitch)

Navit has the capability to display either a 2D map (bird's eye perspective) or a 3D map (some amount of tilt looking to the horizon). Navit's default configuration is to startup in the 2D perspective but it is possible to specify that Navit start with a 3D perspective. The amount of tilt is specified by setting the value of pitch.

The pitch value defines default camera tilting, with a value from 0 to 359. Note that usable values lie between 0 and 90 where 0 is bird's eye perspective looking down and 90 is human perspective looking forward. Also note that values closer to 90 will slow down map drawing, because the line of sight gets longer and longer and more objects are seen.

To modify the perspective that Navit starts up with you must modify the <navit> tag that is located near the top of the navit.xml file. Note that in the default install the navit.xml file does not contain the pitch modifier in the navit tag so you might have to add it.

For example:

<navit center=4808 N 1134 E" zoom="256" tracking="1" cursor="1" orientation="-1" recent_dest="10" autozoom_active="1" pitch="30">

The last item on the line aboves tells Navit to start with a pitch of 30 degrees. The default value of pitch is 20 degrees.

It is also possible to modify the value that Navit will pitch to using the Internal GUI menu option. To do this the <gui> tag must be modified by inserting the pitch value.

For example:

<gui type="internal" fullscreen="1" menubar="0" toolbar="0" statusbar="0" font_size="300" pitch="30"/>

Again, the last item on the line above tells Navit what value of pitch to use when the 3D option is activated through the Internal GUI settings menu.
    4. Sometimes he wonīt let me pick a street as destination that does appear depicted in the map (like my home street, itīs in the map, but itīs like if it isnīt in the database)
    Jep, that happens. The Navit team is working on it AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

Now with the questions:

1. At which stage of the project are you guys actually at? I say this because I can see there is some room for improvement regarding interface, specially with menus... Please donīt take this the wrong way, I really appreciate your work and the efforts put into it, itīs just that it looks like youre living that for the end of the project
    Check with the original Navit team. We only do a port to the Pre => Contacts - Navit's Wiki
    Here is there roadmap => Roadmap of Navit

2. How can I put the map in landscape mode?
    Not supported in the current release.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Depends for example Cloudmade says north_america.navit.bin.zip (1667.8M)
    You can get prepacked states here CloudMade Downloads
    for example # texas.navit.bin.zip (123.7M)

Sweet

EDIT: a working mph instead of km would be awesome
    Last edited by PocketAcesDMB; 09/26/2010 at 03:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Thank you very much for those answers guys
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iofer View Post
    I'm in Texas USA, when I load the map of Texas it works Ok.
    When I load a map of Israel(planning a trip there), I don't see the map.
    Do I need to change the locale? and if soo how do I do it?

Thanks
    Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iofer View Post
    Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The map you see is centred on your last GPS/chosen location. Since you are not in Israel you will not see a map. To fix this I suggest
    1. Remove all maps except Israel
    2. Open bookmarks.txt
    3. add a new line
    mg:34.782 32.114 type=bookmark label="Tel Aviv AP"

Format is longitude and latitude, both in DD.ddd coordinates.
    4. save bookmarks.txt
    5. Start navit and navigate via bookmarks to Tel Aviv AP
    6. If you want to go from place to place just add more bookmarks, suggest arrange them inside a new folder called Israel Trip.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Thank you very much
    It works!
    1) Are languages here? https://www.hp-jochmann.de/Download....25779B002EC6EC

2) Italian?
    The map you see is centred on your last GPS/chosen location. Since you are not in Israel you will not see a map. To fix this I suggest
    1. Remove all maps except Israel
    2. Open bookmarks.txt
    3. add a new line
    mg:34.782 32.114 type=bookmark label="Tel Aviv AP"

Format is longitude and latitude, both in DD.ddd coordinates.
    4. save bookmarks.txt
    5. Start navit and navigate via bookmarks to Tel Aviv AP
    6. If you want to go from place to place just add more bookmarks, suggest arrange them inside a new folder called Israel Trip.
    Great post.

Could you explain to me precisely how to add these coordinates as a bookmark?

33.958356,-84.121623
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I assume you mean 3296 Commerce Ave NW, Duluth, GA 30096,USA at Latitude:33.9583556° Longitude:-84.1216228° as your request is located in Antarctica with no phone coverage.
    As above, edit the bookmarks.txt and add the last line to be
    mg:-84.1216228 33.9583556 type=bookmark label="3296 Commerce Ave NW, Duluth GA"

To do the edit go to USB mode, open R:\appdata\org.webosinternals.navit\bookmark.txt with any text editor you like (replace R: with your Drive Letter)

I used the cloudmade map of Georgia for my test and it works fine.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Ok, I have a garmin map and I enabled it in navit.xml, but I get an error message in the log from the garmin subsystem that the file wasn't found. I did a copy and paste from the "bin" file section and changed the file name and the map type to "garmin". I disabled the "bin" section, but no luck. I tried the garmin map using an SD card in two different nuvi 660 without problems, so I know that the maps are not locked. Anyone try a garmin map successfully?
    Yes, see an example here with both bin and garmin files. This setup gives a whole world map with a 10Mb file! Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

From NAVIT WIKI ---
    Also note the Driver supports only maps that are not locked! Some of original Garmin maps are such, MetroGuide europe for example is NOT locked. But most of them are locked! Note that many features are not yet implemented (such as navigation).
    I assume you mean 3296 Commerce Ave NW, Duluth, GA 30096,USA at Latitude:33.9583556° Longitude:-84.1216228° as your request is located in Antarctica with no phone coverage.
    As above, edit the bookmarks.txt and add the last line to be
    mg:-84.1216228 33.9583556 type=bookmark label="3296 Commerce Ave NW, Duluth GA"

To do the edit go to USB mode, open R:\appdata\org.webosinternals.navit\bookmark.txt with any text editor you like (replace R: with your Drive Letter)

I used the cloudmade map of Georgia for my test and it works fine.
    Thank you so much. I do not know too much...er make that anything about latitude and longitude. Since searching for an address in Navit is impossible for me, adding bookmarks this way would be the only way to make it useful. The way I found those coordinates is by putting the address in this website: Latitude and Longitude of a Point

So it seems that you swapped the first and second numbers? Why did that website swap the coordinates. At any rate, I now see something viable thanks to you.

I will try this right now and report back.
    The one I d/l'd the other day was 1.9GB
    Does somebody can explain me how to add french speed camera as POI on navit map. Is it possible to use the mappy POI (or others ?).
    Thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piotrr View Post
    Does somebody can explain me how to add french speed camera as POI on navit map. Is it possible to use the mappy POI (or others ?).
    Thanks for your help.
    Did you read this Other maps - Navit's Wiki
    Helo,
    I installed navit app and run it, thats ok. After I tried to navigate i have a problem.
    I live in Belgrade (capitol of Serbia) . My problem is that I can't input the name of town(Belgrade) because the name of town was written in cyrillic(just Belgrade).
    How to fix this? Please help & thx.