Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. wac
    As some of you may know, I make a HotSync serial cable for the Visor that works with handheld GPS' and external modems. Details can be found at http://wac.addr.com/ee/visor/visor.html. I have exhausted my supply of ATL connectors, and do not wish to buy a large quantity just to satisfy ATL's minimum order requirement.

As I still have a small number of requests to build more cables, I would like to offer this group buy as a way to get one of my cables. I would like to use this post to determine how many ATL connectors I need to buy - I will only build cables for those who respond to this post (or by email). I will keep this group buy open and update this list until:
    a) I get enough responses to share an order with others who are also ordering from ATL,
    b) I get enough responses to buy $65 worth of ATL connectors, or
    c) A significant amount of time goes by with little interest, in which case I will cancel this group buy.

ATL and Mark/Space make similar serial cables, each with their own pros and cons. Please search the VisorCentral Discussion forums for user feedback and details. I recommend that you consider those first, and then contact me or post here if you feel that mine will better suit your application.

I sell my cables for $16 shipped (continental USA). Since I make and sell these at cost, I cannot guarantee any particular date for the close of this group buy or lead times (I don't even have the luxury of writing off the cost of my Visor Deluxe or fabrication equipment). It may take a few days or even weeks for me to build and test each cable before shipping, but I do not ask for payment until it's shipped. I have little incentive to do this, other than being able to supply a product that no one else can (yet).

Group Buy List (alias/quantity):
    0. Wayne (wac/0)
    1. (jasonp/3)
    2. (kram/2?)
    3. (wjgrun/1)
    4. Linda (?/1)
    5. Wyatt (?/1)
    6. (olendorf/1)
    7. (nysebull/2)
    8. (LarryN/1)
    9. (heberman/1)
    10. (heed/1)
    11. (Toby/2)
    12. Anton (anton/1)
    13. (stoph/1)
    14. John (jb1219/1)
    15. Kevin (Kevino/1)
    16. Tom (tom_deering/1)
    17. Dwayne (?/1)
    18. Dave (?/1)
    19. (wjwood/1)
    20. (LoPan/2)
    21. Sean (?/1)
    22. (gentzel/1)

Thanks,

-WaC
    Wayne
    http://wac.addr.com/ee/visor/visor.html

[Edited by wac on 12-19-2000 at 09:22 AM]
    In case you missed it, check out this post:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...?threadid=9804

Maybe they could help get us to the minimum buy level.

3. wac
    I'm going to throw in an option (and an incentive in a way): if you mail/ship me a Mac connector from the serial cradle, I will give you a $3.00 discount, so the cable will cost you only $13.

I'm doing this because it's next to impossible to obtain a third-party serial cable that fits well with the ATL connector. And it will save me the trouble of buying grey serial cables if I can get the cables from the Mac connectors instead.

Here is a picture of a Mac connector that I converted to my serial cable, by replacing the circular ADB connector with the HotSync connector. If you have a serial cradle, you may have seen something that looks similar to this in a small plastic bag, and thrown it away. If you still have it, then I can use it to make your new serial cable look more professional than the grey stuff I have to buy.

Mac connector from serial cradle:

Generic grey serial cable:

Thanks,

-WaC
    Wayne

Edit: pictures

[Edited by wac on 12-14-2000 at 10:34 PM]
    Please add me to the list!

joe (heberman/1)

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Please add me to the list also.

Alan (heed /1)
    Emailed you a coupla days ago too...

So, plaease add me to the list as well

Larry (LarryN/1)

Thanks
    ditto (Toby/2)
    Payment via PayPal?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8. wac
    Yes, I can do PayPal. Like I said above, I will only ask for money after I ship them out. I will be contacting people on this list separately for shipping information once I get cables built and ready to send out. And I will provide PayPal information at that time.

Thanks,

-WaC
    Wayne
    Please add me to your list.
    Anton (anton/1)
    Thanks
    Please sign me up for 1 cable.

(stoph/1)

Note, I will be incommunicado most of the time
    between Dec 22 and Jan 25. Don't interpret
    a lack of response as lack of interest.
    (stoph@alum.mit.edu)

Thanks
    PLease add me to the list as well! Thank you very much!
    -john (jb1219/1)
    Count me in for one.

Thanks
    Kevin (Kevino/1)
    I'm looking for a Visor to GPS 12 cable

If it connects my eTrex and my Visor, I'm in!

Tom
    I might be interested but don't yet know if I need to order anything else in my case - I have 3 ATL cables, 2 aren't needed. My total to ATL was $70.99 (2 serial and 1 USB to meet min req). I tried the serial ATL connector with my Visor Deluxe with no success. I could, however, on a Palm III connect to:

an External modem, internal modem using the PilotNet app, Mocha PPP redirector (TCP/IP link tap), and connect to my TouchPoint 120 wireless phone. I could do ALL of this with a Palm III (Palm OS 3.0) and it's standard cradle but not with my Visor and ATL cable. I used a real null modem adapter too (not just a gender changer). Unfortunately the Palm III is not mine.

I just mailed Wayne with a bunch of questions. I might give him one or more of the extras for his help.
    John C in MD, USA.
  16. wac
    For custom Visor-to-Garmin cables, please see http://pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/g45_idx.htm and http://pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/emap/index.htm about ordering the necessary connectors, and sending them to me to wire up. I'd rather not have to deal with buying them, since I have no use for them.

If you're wondering, yes, I have built both GPS12 and eTrex/eMap cables, and they all work just fine.

-WaC
    Wayne
    Originally posted by wac
    As some of you may know, I make a HotSync serial cable for the Visor that works with handheld GPS' and external modems. Details can be found at http://wac.addr.com/ee/visor/visor.html. I have exhausted my supply of ATL connectors, and do not wish to buy a large quantity just to satisfy ATL's minimum order requirement.

As I still have a small number of requests to build more cables, I would like to offer this group buy as a way to get one of my cables. I would like to use this post to determine how many ATL connectors I need to buy - I will only build cables for those who respond to this post (or by email). I will keep this group buy open and update this list until:
    a) I get enough responses to share an order with others who are also ordering from ATL,
    b) I get enough responses to buy $65 worth of ATL connectors, or
    c) A significant amount of time goes by with little interest, in which case I will cancel this group buy.

ATL and Mark/Space make similar serial cables, each with their own pros and cons. Please search the VisorCentral Discussion forums for user feedback and details. I recommend that you consider those first, and then contact me or post here if you feel that mine will better suit your application.

I sell my cables for $16 shipped (continental USA). Since I make and sell these at cost, I cannot guarantee any particular date for the close of this group buy or lead times (I don't even have the luxury of writing off the cost of my Visor Deluxe or fabrication equipment). It may take a few days or even weeks for me to build and test each cable before shipping, but I do not ask for payment until it's shipped. I have little incentive to do this, other than being able to supply a product that no one else can (yet).

Group Buy List (alias/quantity):
    0. Wayne (wac/0)
    1. (jasonp/3)
    2. (kram/2?)
    3. (wjgrun/1)
    4. Linda (?/1)
    5. Wyatt (?/1)
    6. (olendorf/1)
    7. (nysebull/2)
    8. (LarryN/1)
    9. (heberman/1)
    10. (heed/1)
    11. (Toby/2)
    12. Anton (anton/1)
    13. (stoph/1)
    14. John (jb1219/1)
    15. Kevin (Kevino/1)

Thanks,

-WaC
    Wayne
    http://wac.addr.com/ee/visor/visor.html

[Edited by wac on 12-13-2000 at 10:33 PM]

Sorry for being so dumb about this but here it goes.
    1) If I buy an eTrex and one of your cables, do I need anything else to hook the eTrex up to the Visor? From what I understand, the eTrex needs power from the cable. Is this correct? Is this provided by your cable from the Visor's power? Also, if the eTrex requires power from the Visor, wouldn't this quickly drain the Visor's power supply... requiring 2 AAA batteries to supply two devices now.

2) I know you are unsure about how long it will take, but could you say that you will definitely have them made and shipped by ______ (fill in the blank if you can). This would be real helpful in me determining whether I will get one from you or not. I would like to buy a GPS unit but mainly to hook up to my Visor to use in the car while traveling. I therefore need a cable, and the $40 one on Delorme no longer sounds as nice as your $16 one!

Thanks,
    Chad
  18. wac
    If I buy an eTrex and one of your cables, do I need anything else to hook the eTrex up to the Visor?
    Yes, you either need to get an eTrex PC data cable, or an ePlug as mentioned in a post above. The eTrex uses its own set of AA batteries.

...could you say that you will definitely have them made and shipped by ______ (fill in the blank if you can) ... and the $40 one on Delorme no longer sounds as nice as your $16 one!
    You get what you pay for. If I was to promise ship dates, I'd be charging $40 per cable

-WaC
    Wayne
  19. wac
    As per my original post, this group buy has reached the minimum quantity for me to place an order for ATL connectors. Therefore, I will be closing it so I can place the order and get started on making the cables. I realize that the last few posters are not listed for cable quantities, so I will keep the group buy open for them, if they want to get in on it.

I have decided that it will be the first and last time I'm going to do this, as I have other projects I'd rather spend my time on when this is completed.

Thank you for your interest, and I will contact each one of you via email for delivery and payment information when they are ready to ship.

-WaC
    Wayne

[Edited by wac on 12-15-2000 at 10:52 PM]
    I would like 2 cables also. Thanks
    You're not put on this world to get it Mr. Burton.
    LoPan
    Vaporgear sucks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast