Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nope, but the old expression if it looks to good to be true, ring any bells ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    geeez just because you have not had problems with PayPal doesn't mean those that have lack common sense. Unfair assumption on your part I'd say.
    If the guy would have researched the seller before he bought, instead of after. He would have never been scammed, looks to good to be true ?
    I know for a fact that Visa and Discover will NOT issue a chargeback against paypal for any reason unless someone has stolen your card, created an account in your name, and made a fraudulent purchase. They say that the "charge from paypal is legitimate", so they won't do it if you were using it on your own account and got scammed. I was out $1600 once, and $300 another time over the 4 years I have used ebay.
    <c>Searching for happiness. 33 pdas later I find the GSM Treo 600. Now Ebayers love my pdas. I love my Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by smharmon
    I know for a fact that Visa and Discover will NOT issue a chargeback against paypal for any reason unless someone has stolen your card, created an account in your name, and made a fraudulent purchase. They say that the "charge from paypal is legitimate", so they won't do it if you were using it on your own account and got scammed. I was out $1600 once, and $300 another time over the 4 years I have used ebay.
    That must be a policy that your credit card has, not necessarily MC/Visa. I had a fraud issue with a seller on eBay and paid them via PayPal. PayPal wouldn't correct the issue so I contacted my credit card company and they did a chargeback.
    it sucks though, until there becomes another "Standard" paypal will be our only option...stupid paypal
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Guess, Paypal must think that most people have common sense doing Internet purchasing, guess not.

Maybe, the goverment needs to pass more laws..
    You're right. Usually in these stories, PayPal has done nothing "wrong". I too have used it frequently and had no problems.

The issue is that it doesn't provide the same level of protection as a straight credit card purchase, and that's what people are used to. The other issue with PayPal is that if you're a casual user and don't read their fine print, their web site reads like they provide more protection than they actually do.

If a competitor comes along that provides more robust protections, then I'll gladly switch.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    to be fair, i just contested a transaction where i did not receive the treo650 i bought from someone on this forum...and paypal ruled in my favor and has recouped the whole amount, to be re-credited to my credit card. i won't be completely happy until it actually shows up on my CC, but paypal seems to have come through this time.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by kugino
    to be fair, i just contested a transaction where i did not receive the treo650 i bought from someone on this forum...and paypal ruled in my favor and has recouped the whole amount, to be re-credited to my credit card. i won't be completely happy until it actually shows up on my CC, but paypal seems to have come through this time.
    Did they recover the funds from the seller or did they just issue you a credit?
    good question beowulf777....

but based on past experience, they recovered the funds from the seller. PayPal does not issue "credits" back to the buyers account on their own dime. They only send the funds back to the buyer if the funds are STILL in the fraudulent seller's PayPal account. If the seller has withdrawn the funds from their account, PayPal can find in the buyer's favor, yet not return ANY funds!

Hence the lack of protection....what happens to the seller if the funds are not recovered? Nothing more than a few emails saying "You owe this money." It truly is ridiculous....
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    good question beowulf777....

but based on past experience, they recovered the funds from the seller. PayPal does not issue "credits" back to the buyers account on their own dime. They only send the funds back to the buyer if the funds are STILL in the fraudulent seller's PayPal account. If the seller has withdrawn the funds from their account, PayPal can find in the buyer's favor, yet not return ANY funds!

Hence the lack of protection....what happens to the seller if the funds are not recovered? Nothing more than a few emails saying "You owe this money." It truly is ridiculous....
    That is exactly the situation I am in...
    Sucks....and there is nothing you can do about it. PayPal claims to "keep trying to recover funds" on your behalf....but it really is a bunch of bunk. Instead of holding YOU liable for goods you did not receive (assuming you can prove you did not receive the goods) they should return the money to you and hold the seller liable.

They have the sellers contact info, bank info, etc....as with any company, they should issue the fraudulent buyer/seller a notice to pay up....or report it to their credit or something. There should be more protection....

Check out http://www.paypalsucks.com forums for more info on what you might be able to do....
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    Sucks....and there is nothing you can do about it. PayPal claims to "keep trying to recover funds" on your behalf....but it really is a bunch of bunk. Instead of holding YOU liable for goods you did not receive (assuming you can prove you did not receive the goods) they should return the money to you and hold the seller liable.

They have the sellers contact info, bank info, etc....as with any company, they should issue the fraudulent buyer/seller a notice to pay up....or report it to their credit or something. There should be more protection....

Check out http://www.paypalsucks.com forums for more info on what you might be able to do....
    Thanks for the information. This is exactly the agruement I made with them. They are "reviewing" it.
    So how does one go about using "common sense" when buying on TC ?

If neither the buyer nor seller reveal their personal information (Name, address, phone, etc.) then can any transaction be considered truly "safe" or "common sense"?

As for being a TC forum member - what would you consider as guidelines?
    Longevity? Number of posts? Number of threads? These would be very arbitrary guidelines since most members here may be fairly new (like myself) or not hang out at the forum all the time (some of us do have a life outside the TC forum).

At what dollar amount are you putting yourself too much at risk? Are there scammers out there who would scam you for as little as $5? or $50?

Since PayPal (and for that matter TreoCentral) does not take any responsibility for guaranteeing these transactions, it appears that the only service that is provided is anonymity.

So the only common sense approach would be to:
    (a) Not purchase anything here on TC Marketplace
    (b) Be prepared to lose your money entirely if opt to ignore (a)
    (c) Whine about it here on TC if you opt to ignore (a) and (b)
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    here's the email i received from paypal letting me know they resolved my issue:

"We have concluded our investigation of your Buyer Complaint. The details of
    this claim are listed below.

We have decided in your favor, and as a result, have attempted to recover
    funds from the seller.
    The maximum amount we were able to recover was $xxx.xx USD. This amount
    has been credited to your PayPal account. Please allow up to five business
    days for this adjustment to be reflected in your PayPal account.

If you are due any additional amount from the seller, we will make our best
    effort to recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
    to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
    seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
    privileges."

they did recover the whole amount...but it strikes me as odd that had they not recovered the whole amount, the only penalty would be "limitation of the seller's account privileges." like that's a harsh penalty...
    exactly the point being stated....

even worse, this is just a form letter that EVERYONE that has similar issues receives. No individual customer support for the honest individuals. It's really pathetic for a company that does so much business....

PAYPAL SUCKS!
    Just to let everyone know, GreenZap accounts are now accessible and ready to use for eBay auctions!

And you get $25 just for signing up
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123