Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56
  1. #21  
    Seems pretty obvious since you HAVE to use "openintro" as a "promo code". I don't think pointing out why paypalsuks and pointing to an alternative is doing anything wrong, even if he makes a few bucks off it.
  2. #22  
    Didn't mean to stir up anything....and I apologize for not being straightforward....was just giving the link to the site, and as far as I know, the only way to pre-register is by having a referal/promo code from someone....yes there are referal's, as PayPal did the same thing when they first started up....

    GreenZap looks like it is going to be a solid competitor to PayPal when they start up, and hopefully they take notes on PayPal's mistakes....

    I have now been burned by PayPal twice....both times being screwed by a fraudulent buyer....once, PayPal found in my favor, but could not recover any funds....and I'm out $500....

    The second time, a buyer purchased an item over eBay. Receives the item....never complains, and files a chargeback via their credit card 45 days later. After PayPal INVESTIGATES, they cannot find enough evidence to overturn the chargeback....even though I produced emails from the buyer saying they received and USED the item! I'm out $400 on that deal....

    PayPal's customer service is ridiculous....and http://www.paypalsucks.com is a collection of horror stories (and inside info from former PayPal employees) about how they work, and work you over....

    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    I have nothing against helping out a fellow Treo addict...it just would be more 'up front' if they had mentioned using the link would benifit them...
    The point of the link was to help out OTHERS by pointing them to this site....do I get a referal? Yes....and if a person wants to sign up, then great....but I don't find it necessary to say, HEY THIS IS A REFERAL LINK! CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK! There is no bother to anyone to use me, or anyone else that they please, as a referal....
    Last edited by OpenIntro; 05/17/2005 at 11:56 PM.
  3. hsk
    hsk is offline
    hsk's Avatar
    Posts
    262 Posts
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf777
    b0tes is a fraud and not to be trusted. He scammed me (and maybe others) out of money. He regularly used this forum, but has ceased almost completely.
    I don't know if b0tes is a "he" but there was activity May 16. But as far as lots of post go, I don't think posts on TC are quite the same as, say, lots of +feedback on Ebay. There are many non-constructive ways to get your posts up - I added about 25 myself in two days or so just to try it, it's easy.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yes. PayPal is NOT SAFE. The only way to protect yourself as a buyer is to use a CC NOT a debit card. Then you can dispute the charges. However, PayPal could still go after you though.
    Actually a debit card has the same protection as a credit card as long as it is a branded card, i.e. Visa. You can read about it on Visa's website.
  5. Hanuman's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Actually a debit card has the same protection as a credit card as long as it is a branded card, i.e. Visa. You can read about it on Visa's website.
    I think this also depends on the bank that issued the debit card. Some will only cover you in case of fraud with a "deductable" so you may still end up paying up to $500 of your own money. Visa my be the logo on the card, but it ultimately depends on what your financial institution decides.

    Just curious, have you contacted police? Maybe they can help you find out more about this, after all this is larceny, fraud by deception....
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman
    Just curious, have you contacted police? Maybe they can help you find out more about this, after all this is larceny, fraud by deception....
    I have reported it, but don't have much hope of ever hearing anything.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    http://www.paypalsucks.com

    Paypal's motto....

    Cover our *** first, paying members *** second....

    Fact is, they don't protect members very well. And their investigations are absolute jokes. On top of that, their phone support is almost non-existant, and their email support is mainly form letters. Trying to recover funds through PayPal is a ridiculous act of futility....

    I'm hoping GreenZap kicks the crap out of them when they start up this summer....
    Guess, Paypal must think that most people have common sense doing Internet purchasing, guess not.

    Maybe, the goverment needs to pass more laws..
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    The point of the link was to help out OTHERS by pointing them to this site....do I get a referal? Yes....and if a person wants to sign up, then great....but I don't find it necessary to say, HEY THIS IS A REFERAL LINK! CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK! There is no bother to anyone to use me, or anyone else that they please, as a referal....
    Thanks for clearing this up.

    I did notice something interesting about the GreenZap site. If you go to the main site without going there from a referral link and try to register...use any promo code you can think up...whenyou click thru to the next page it ALWAYS shows the same name as the person who referred you. And if you use a referral link...it's also the same person listed ...seems kind of fishy to me.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
  9. #29  
    Greenzap would seem to be MLM. You refer someone, they refer someone....

    reminds me of the old 2by2.net
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. #30  
    to clarify- a debit card with a brand logo such as MasterCard or Visa carries the same liability limits as a credit card with the same brand. you are at most liable for $50 dollars of a fraudulent charge made on your card for any reason. Some banks will not even charge you the $50, depends on the bank, your status with them, and the situation. however you are out of luck if the transaction was performed with a PIN number because the assumption is that only an authorized user would know the pin.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  11. jkoons's Avatar
    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    I did notice something interesting about the GreenZap site. If you go to the main site without going there from a referral link and try to register...use any promo code you can think up...whenyou click thru to the next page it ALWAYS shows the same name as the person who referred you. And if you use a referral link...it's also the same person listed ...seems kind of fishy to me.
    I, too, have pre-registered at GreenZap (links to my promo code). I've heard it being discussed on Bloomberg News and I also think that they will be giving PayPal some good competition. I am not sure what benefit I will receive if someone uses my code to register. The only thing the website states is that the new user will receive $25. I figured it was worth a try. They don't ask for any credit card info, just name and address.
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Greenzap would seem to be MLM. You refer someone, they refer someone....
    LOL....GreenZAP is NOT an MLM....

    They are a payment service, just like PayPal, Firepay, Neteller, etc, though most similar to PayPal. They are launching this summer, and are trying to build a user base by offering rewards for referrals. PayPal did the SAME thing when they started up....started by offering $15 for referrals, and then $10 for a while before they stopped....

    Here is a Yahoo Biz Article about GreenZap....

    Their message board is located at http://www.zaptoday.com/
  13. #33  
    Just FYI....GreenZap is now open for business starting this afternoon! Make sure you sign up (and boycott PayPal!!!!)
  14. #34  
    I have used Paypal for years.

    The problem is lack of common sense when making purchases, and believing that other's are responsible for the lack of it thereof.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    LOL....GreenZAP is NOT an MLM....

    They are a payment service, just like PayPal, Firepay, Neteller, etc, though most similar to PayPal. They are launching this summer, and are trying to build a user base by offering rewards for referrals. PayPal did the SAME thing when they started up....started by offering $15 for referrals, and then $10 for a while before they stopped....

    Here is a Yahoo Biz Article about GreenZap....

    Their message board is located at http://www.zaptoday.com/
    Please...the Yahoo Biz article you posted is not an article, rather a Press Release from GreenZap.

    Maybe it's MLM, maybe not, but this sure looks like it:

    http://www.greenzap.com/rewardz.asp

    And if it's not MLM, why do you continue to use YOUR referal link instead of just using their main page? Seems someone is trying to make money here, even though it's not MLM, like you claim...caveat emptor
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16. #36  
    ugh....you people are ridiculous....

    As I said above....use my link or don't use my link....I really don't care. But if I have a referral link, I'm going to use it. Period. As I said before, Paypal did the EXACT same thing when they launched....and are they MLM? No....so give it a rest.....

    And the problem is NOT lack of common sense when making purchases....I have been a PayPal users since they launched, and both times I have been burned is as a seller, not a buyer....problem is, PayPal takes no responsibility....just your money....
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And don't go by post count. Cripes, would you buy something from me???
    hell no
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    I have used Paypal for years.

    The problem is lack of common sense when making purchases, and believing that other's are responsible for the lack of it thereof.
    geeez just because you have not had problems with PayPal doesn't mean those that have lack common sense. Unfair assumption on your part I'd say.
  19. #39  
    i always forget that in the states a Debit card is different than here in Canada..

    In Canada a Debit card, is your bank card (like yours is assuming), but you cannot get a mastercard/visa/etc linked to it. We do have something called Interac (debit direct payment....i think we are #2 in the world behind Denmark). Then we have credit cards independent of debit card. However financial institutions do offer their credit cards. Ie its branded with the bank, issued thru a major company.

    EG: My bank Bank of Montreal (BMO). My investments: BMO/Nebitt Credit card: BMO Mosaik Mastercard

    So what I am trying to say here...in Canada you got a lot more protection here with a CC (except on Paypal of course, cause apparently we aren't a country), but a debit card has none...well it does but its up to you to intervene quickly
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    The problem is lack of common sense when making purchases, and believing that other's are responsible for the lack of it thereof.
    i have no idea what the last part of this sentence means...what is "other's"? and what is "lack of it thereof"?

    no, someone can do good research on the buyer and still be cheated. don't always fault the buyer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions